Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Cosmoline…and Henry Ford 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The axle seals needed replaced on my ‘37 Ford Model 79 1-1/2 ton truck.

Found NOS seals on eBay.

I was quite surprised to find the new seals were actually wrapped in Cosmoline coated heavy paper.

A little time in the solvent tank and they cleaned up to look as good as the day they were packed. Likely 75 to 80 years ago.

Nice to see factory original, made in USA bearings as well. Bearings are still in perfect condition.

Mechanical brakes all still work perfectly. The outer brake band is the emergency brake.

I love how simple and robust this old gear is.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-- Travis A Kisner

Last edited by foothills on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She is a beauty!!!

Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That truck is so cool

Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, I’ve been watching your restoration with interest. But you are going way farther in than I wanted to.

I wanted this to look like it would have on my grandparents farm in the 40’s.

This still has the original 85hp Flathead in it. Runs and drives great.

I tried to source and use correct parts as much as possible…only real modern upgrade is the 19.5 tubeless wheels and tires.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

-- Travis A Kisner

Last edited by foothills on Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is so awesome!

Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's nice, let me know if you need any early ford stuff... I probably have everything except big truck stuff.

By the late 40's they had 3 different big truck transmissions, a 3 speed, a 4 speed and a syncro 4 speed, might be a good upgrade to go the syncro box(I'm not sure if it will bolt in though)

If the flattie starts having issues, i'd be tempted to put in a 59ab block, merc crank, 1/8 over bore, to put it up to 274". Or even just merc crank that 21 stud, with an 1/8" overbore it'd be 255" and an offset grind to use the smaller rods would take you to 263" and still look 100% stock

Also the stromberg 48 carb would probably add a little extra power since they are 170ish cfm over the model 97 which should only be 150 cfm and will look stock.

I doubt that rear is the same as the later (38-52) 3/4 ton rears, but if it happens to be, i'll be stripping one and scrapping most of one. If you need/ want parts(mabey a faster R+P) you can have them.

Last edited by shaggy on Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very Cool! :thumbsup2:

Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
That's nice, let me know if you need any early ford stuff... I probably have everything except big truck stuff.

By the late 40's they had 3 different big truck transmissions, a 3 speed, a 4 speed and a syncro 4 speed, might be a good upgrade to go the syncro box(I'm not sure if it will bolt in though)

If the flattie starts having issues, i'd be tempted to put in a 59ab block, merc crank, 1/8 over bore, to put it up to 274". Or even just merc crank that 21 stud, with an 1/8" overbore it'd be 255" and an offset grind to use the smaller rods would take you to 263" and still look 100% stock

Also the stromberg 48 carb would probably add a little extra power since they are 170ish cfm over the model 97 which should only be 150 cfm and will look stock.

I doubt that rear is the same as the later (38-52) 3/4 ton rears, but if it happens to be, i'll be stripping one and scrapping most of one. If you need/ want parts(mabey a faster R+P) you can have them.

No R&P options available for it. Ford only offered 2 ratios, 5.14 & 6.60. And the 5.14 had to be approved by Ford corporate due to the low power rating of the engine.

It’s got the non synchronized granny 4 speed, 6.60 ratio rear axle with torque tube driveshaft.

The torque tube and mechanical brakes make doing much upgrading difficult. That’s one of the main reasons I opted to try and keep it stock original. That and I have a complete parts chassis and drivetrain less engine.

The ‘37 21 stud engine runs great. Has 32 PSI of oil pressure at idle.

It’s a beast to drive, but will cruise at 45-48mph effortlessly. Which is pretty good considering in its day most all roads were dirt and it probably never traveled more than 15-20 miles from the farm.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:13 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's beautiful, Don.

I think I'm most fascinated by the wooden bed....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
That's beautiful, Don.

I think I'm most fascinated by the wooden bed....

Thanks Steve!

I redecked my car trailer a few years back, and saved the weathered deck boards just for the look.

I hoped they would achieve what I was after. I'm pretty happy with it. :bigsmile:

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, it worked :thumbsup2:

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:inlove:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty cool. I like the fattass!

Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]