Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 158  Next
 Good News - Bad News Thread 

I've got to throw this in here too.... My neighbor's house almost burned down Monday night!!!! I went out to get my garbage cans yesterday and noticed his recycle bin was BADLY melted --- to the point where the lid was deformed and welded around the rim.... all I could think is 'WTF did he do??????' I went over to ask him about it last night and he showed me the scorched siding along his fireplace brick (I'll see if I can grab a pic today) --- DAMN!!!!! He said he got up ~3:330am to pee -- window was open a bit -- heard a hissing sound that baffled him (this is from the farthest point in the house corner to corner) -- then saw an orange glow coming from under his carport.... He ran out there in his underwear to find the side of the house on fire!!! He grabbed his two little fire extinguishers and was able to put it out!!!!! Damn.... LUCKY AS HELL!!!!!!

Can't quite figure out what happened ---- (I don't understand all this - but) his gas fireplace was plumbed to be hooked up to 20# propane tanks (?!?!?!?!) --- somehow a leak started..... and somehow there was a spark to ignite it (again - ?!?!?!?!?) -- there was/is some exposed wiring in that corner - not sure how sketchy it was to begin with.... but it doesn't quite make sense - and what does make sense is that whatever happened was bound to at some point....

He is SOOOOOO lucky that he got up to pee and noticed it IMMEDIATELY!!!! The whole house could have gone up with them inside..... it looks like it was just a matter of minutes from the eaves and the roof catching....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed May 31, 2023 7:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I've got to throw this in here too.... My neighbor's house almost burned down Monday night!!!! I went out to get my garbage cans yesterday and noticed his recycle bin was BADLY melted --- to the point where the lid was deformed and welded around the rim.... all I could think is 'WTF did he do??????' I went over to ask him about it last night and he showed me the scorched siding along his fireplace brick (I'll see if I can grab a pic today) --- DAMN!!!!! He said he got up ~3:330am to pee -- window was open a bit -- heard a hissing sound that baffled him (this is from the farthest point in the house corner to corner) -- then saw an orange glow coming from under his carport.... He ran out there in his underwear to find the side of the house on fire!!! He grabbed his two little fire extinguishers and was able to put it out!!!!! Damn.... LUCKY AS HELL!!!!!!

Can't quite figure out what happened ---- (I don't understand all this - but) his gas fireplace was plumbed to be hooked up to 20# propane tanks (?!?!?!?!) --- somehow a leak started..... and somehow there was a spark to ignite it (again - ?!?!?!?!?) -- there was/is some exposed wiring in that corner - not sure how sketchy it was to begin with.... but it doesn't quite make sense - and what does make sense is that whatever happened was bound to at some point....

He is SOOOOOO lucky that he got up to pee and noticed it IMMEDIATELY!!!! The whole house could have gone up with them inside..... it looks like it was just a matter of minutes from the eaves and the roof catching....

Damn he is lucky do you have all the senses so he could navigate the situation at hand.
Me on the other hand would have been busy engulfed fire because I wouldn’t have heard it. Since the dogs have both passed and the wife at our daughters I’ve had two friends that came over in the mornings and I did not hear either of them knock on the door. I guess I’m going to have to replace my doorbell.
I miss my dogs. :crybaby:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Conclusion: beer saves lives!
:cheers2:

Wed May 31, 2023 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news: Walmart refunded a $100+ order of groceries that was already delivered
Bad news: It was delivered, so it's not fair for the driver to lose out on the tip + wages for the delivery. I had to open my mouth up and tell Walmart 'No, I did get this delivered, but 20+ items were out of stock, not ALL items'.. .so now I get to wait to see if they fuck up and charge me for stuff I never got. A good deed never goes unpunished.

New plan of action. Pay tips in cash, that way if it happens again, driver is taken care of, and Walmart can eat it. :bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed May 31, 2023 10:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, we always pay tips in cash. :thumbsup2:

Wed May 31, 2023 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Good: I got my new Microwave installed today.
Bad: $210 to remove the old one and install the new one which cost $240.

Sounds like you and I have the same issue. My built-in microwave died yesterday, and daaamn those things are expensive to replace! About $500 for the microwave and $250 for the installation kit, plus tax. I should be able to install it myself, but still, it's painful to pay $750 for basically a $200 microwave.

$250 for the install kit? Both microwaves I installed came with the mounting bracket. I just needed the screws to go into the studs. The one I just had installed was the same manufacturer so they just used the old bracket that was already there.

Wed May 31, 2023 11:17 am

Caveman Jim wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

Damn he is lucky do you have all the senses so he could navigate the situation at hand.
Me on the other hand would have been busy engulfed fire because I wouldn’t have heard it. Since the dogs have both passed and the wife at our daughters I’ve had two friends that came over in the mornings and I did not hear either of them knock on the door. I guess I’m going to have to replace my doorbell.
I miss my dogs. :crybaby:

I went up and snapped some pics ---- just to show just how scary this was and how bad it could have been.... My neighbor is soooo lucky to catch it when he did ---- it would have been a hard call - fight the fire or run to call the fire dept......

Attachment:
20230531_135735.jpg

Attachment:
20230531_135746.jpg

Attachment:
20230531_135827.jpg

It was just starting to turn the corner and into the carport --- it would have (and did) melted the poly panels and been able to set the whole roof on fire had it made it much further...
Attachment:
20230531_135841.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed May 31, 2023 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn.....he got lucky, that could have been really bad. icon_eek

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 31, 2023 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news, took the 3 golden retrievers to Ocean shores to run the beach

Bad news, the 5.5 Month old puppy puked her entire breakfast in the back.

Never heard a thing, it was a stealth puke.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 31, 2023 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:

…it was a stealth puke.

icon_eek

:ROFLMAO:

Wed May 31, 2023 6:16 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

mikeyb wrote:
Well, we sold our house, close on the 19th. Utah, here we come. Our home there should be ready by August 1, so we have roughly 2 months to float around.

Freezer in the garage says "not so fast, son."

S**t. I have at least 3 briskets in there, plus a bunch of TWR hot dogs, and various chicken/ground beef packages.

Congrats on your move to a free state. thumbsup

And the freezer "problem" . . . hahaha. Sounds like you're going to be on the carnivore diet for a while!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed May 31, 2023 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
mikeyb wrote:
Well, we sold our house, close on the 19th. Utah, here we come. Our home there should be ready by August 1, so we have roughly 2 months to float around.

Freezer in the garage says "not so fast, son."

S**t. I have at least 3 briskets in there, plus a bunch of TWR hot dogs, and various chicken/ground beef packages.

Congrats on your move to a free state. thumbsup

And the freezer "problem" . . . hahaha. Sounds like you're going to be on the carnivore diet for a while!

Sounds more like a WaGuns.org farewell bbq at Mikeyb's! :thumbsup2:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed May 31, 2023 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

I went up and snapped some pics ----

That’s some scary shit.

Glad it worked out…

Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
My sis couldn't understand why I turned down a free OTR micro that she offered me -- they had a leftover after remodeling their townhouses -- because 'I just DON"T want it'.... Not that I've ever used one, but I just did NOT want to loose the space above the stovetop to it --- plus I KNEW hooking up the venting would be a major pain in the ass. Not to mention how much dirtier/greasier it would get being closer to the stovetop AND how much harder it would be to clean...

I'm still rocking the first and ONLY micro I've ever bought in '91 when I moved out of the college house -- as a floor model no less -- a 700W Toshiba. Yeah - it takes two minutes to heat up a cup of coffee.... and I've thought about replacing it many times... but it still works perfectly and there is just something satisfying about using an appliance that is now 32+ years old and served me so well. It will be a sad day when I actually HAVE to replace it..... but it will be replaced with another countertop model. I just don't get the high mounted micros.... or the low mounted under counter ones either --- for how often I use it - countertop just makes more sense. "Built In" means pain in the ass and $$$.

I just made a couple simple hangers from 2” flatbar and painted them semigloss black and hung ours under the upper cabinet. It’s only 10” higher than being on the countertop, but now I have more countertop available. We don’t hsve much usable countertop especially when the wife thinks it’s for displaying seasonal decor/bs

Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Earlier this week, I bid on one of my dream guns on Gunauction.com. It was kind of impulsive...I'm in between jobs and there's not really a gun budget to be had. Hit the reserve, seller messaged me with a question, everything seemed fine.

Today I went to check on the listing. Seller banned from the site. icon_eek

Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 158  Next