Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 delete 

Last edited by Stanley Wood on Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With anything like these. The more papers you can find… the more you can typically ask.

Especially old photos. So look and do some research, if there are any photos of him holding it and what unit, etc.

Also document as much of a timeline to help any interested buyer know the history.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked up this French Au Lion about 7 years ago. I was not able to get a solid value on this or similar knives like yours.
I took it to the WAC show and talked to a few people there. Most new very little. And I was basically told. It’s worth whatever the buyer wants to pay. I’ve seen them on gun broker for $2000.00 +. But are they selling for that ? Probably not.
Unfortunately for me. Mine had no brass knuckle duster. But for what I paid. I’m still ahead of the game. :wink05:

Here with a bad reproduction knuckle duster

Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw a couple that sold for 450 and 525.

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/041 ... knife.html

Here's another with scabbard that sold for 700.

https://wartimecollectables.com/m1918-trench-knife.html

Gunbroker listing prices are silly, and there is no recent "Sold" history on them. The ones on there have been rolling through with no buyers for some time now.

Do you have the scabbard? Is the blade blackened?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:08 pm

Attachment:
2.jpg
Attachment:
1.jpg

I did manage to find a dealer in Florida and he said he cant get enuff of them.
Unseen he said 1500 to 2500 ez, or for a 25% commission they would put it on thry're website for 3000.
Like we say in real estate, sooner or later it all sells. BUT, there is no appraisal process for knives.

Also said it if you see one for under a thousand, it is probably a replica. There is a long dissertation on spotting copies. Apparently the rarity of these is increasing.

Strange that I can carry a 50cal handgun, but this has to stay in the safe.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That super cool. I very rarely sell anything. And knives don’t take up much space.
I’d just document everything you have learned about it and keep it.
You just need to make sure that your kids (or other family members) know exactly what it is and what it’s worth.
I paid .50 cents for mine. Because the sellers did not know what it was. And to be honest I did not know either.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an old bayonet that I was told was worth over 1000 bucks, it was in my uncles house when he died. I have no story on it, its not sentimental. I was thinking about selling it also. My theory on some of these things is, its pretty useless to me and the value of them is likely to go down, as the people that want this stuff are dying off. I could be wrong, but I may just put that money to use somewhere else.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
I have an old bayonet that I was told was worth over 1000 bucks, it was in my uncles house when he died. I have no story on it, its not sentimental. I was thinking about selling it also. My theory on some of these things is, its pretty useless to me and the value of them is likely to go down, as the people that want this stuff are dying off. I could be wrong, but I may just put that money to use somewhere else.

What is it? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

That is a very valid point.

Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:42 pm

Yep! I could free up some real estate in the safe and use the funds to buy another gun or two to take its place.

Better get a bigger safe. :thumbsup2: :bigsmile:

Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe head on over to Blade forum. That would be a good place to start when looking for a buyer.
And avoid paying a consignment fee

https://www.bladeforums.com/

Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am

You just can not beat the metal used in these older knives if you are a knife user. I have my Dads lightly used 1936 PAL sitting here and I will never part with it.

Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]