Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Can .vs Canless Recessed Lighting…? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, we’re looking to replace lights in the kitchen & a few hallways with recessed lighting.

I’ve read some of the pros & cons, but would like to hear folk’s opinions and experiences between the two, if possible.

Thanks! :cheers2:

Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wafer lights are pretty amazing. LED, thin profile, (trusses? Who cares) color warmth programmable. You can put 180 of them on a single circuit.

Use them almost exclusively in all of our commercial TIs now. $30 a pop, easy sell.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:43 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, I was leaning toward the Wafer lights, but wifey was concerned about having to replace the whole thing when the bulb goes…

Any brand recommendations?

Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:54 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Halo is probably the one we use the most. Feit is fine as well.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:27 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

The Halos seem to all say “New Construction or Remodel”…

From what I’ve read, various recessed lights state that because to install as a replacement messes up the sheet rock and insulation.

Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:48 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Definitely wafer for a remodel. That's all we used the last couple years I was doing remodels. Unless the lid is coming down then go with wafers plus you get the exact layout you want

Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Thanks, I was leaning toward the Wafer lights, but wifey was concerned about having to replace the whole thing when the bulb goes…

Any brand recommendations?

When we did our remodel last year, we did wafers everywhere. We used 2 different brands, Halo and another one that escapes me at the moment. 2 of the lights have already crapped out, neither were Halo. We were advised to buy several extras in case that happened, and we did, so we've replaced those and moved on. So your wife is right to be concerned about that. Just buy a few extra and you're good. Dan's point about working around trusses is spot on; these things can go in just about anywhere. As for the warmth setting, we have ours on the 2nd warmest, and on full blast (we have dimmer switches), I think they're borderline too harsh. My wife is petitioning to go all the way to the warmest setting, and she may just get her way.

Halo would be my brand recommendation.

Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Color temperature for indoor lighting is just like for cars...

You don't really want cool white in living areas.. It messes with the head and the circadian rhythm and all that jazz.

Personally, I prefer neutral white... although most will tell you to put warm white in the bedroom, neutral white everywhere else except garages and work areas where you want cool white.

Attachment:
02-05-2023_011713.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve done two bathrooms with Halo. I started with another brand - ordered off of Amazon - opened the box, looked at them and sent them back.

We like them especially the adjustability. You can set them at the module for the type of light, then use a dimmer at the wall so that you can have pretty much any type of light you want.- then change your mind. Going forward, I don’t plan to use anything else.

Only issue we had was - make your holes exact. There’s doesn’t seem to be a lot of wiggle for mistakes.

Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great input guys, Thank You!

Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]