Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 China/Taiwan conflict 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
Problem with Australia is they’re way behind on the curve. Sure they decided they want nuclear powered submarines now, but how long is it gonna be before they actually have them? If they manufacture new ones of whatever type they pick, it’ll probably be a decade before they have them. I guess we could give them some of our retired Los Angeles class, but I doubt anyone would agree to that.

Apparently, they were already set to get some diesel/electric subs from France (diesel/electric seems oddly anachronistic in the 21st century).

The deal with Biden torpedoed France's submarine contract with the Auzzies and Macron is upset. So upset he recalled his ambassadors from the U.S.

https://thefederalist.com/2021/09/17/is ... 2021-09-18
Modern diesel electric subs are pretty damn effective, especially when staying close to home. They are some of the quietest boats you can get. Here’s an article about a Swedish sub vs a US carrier group.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a19784775/gotland-class-sub-ronald-reagan-war-games/

But they don’t have the range to project power, and right now the Aussies want the ability to not be fighting right on their own shores. If they can have an effective nuke boat, that allows them to prowl closer to China. Mix in their boats with ours, the brits and the Japanese, and that makes China a lot more nervous with their surface forces. The Japanese can get away with diesel/electric because they don’t have to have the range.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pretty good diagnosis… if there are enough SE asia nations wiling to band together, they will have a much higher chance to keep the commies at bay. Taiwan is still most vulnerable without any real help from us.

NotAMerc wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:
Problem with Australia is they’re way behind on the curve. Sure they decided they want nuclear powered submarines now, but how long is it gonna be before they actually have them? If they manufacture new ones of whatever type they pick, it’ll probably be a decade before they have them. I guess we could give them some of our retired Los Angeles class, but I doubt anyone would agree to that.

Apparently, they were already set to get some diesel/electric subs from France (diesel/electric seems oddly anachronistic in the 21st century).

The deal with Biden torpedoed France's submarine contract with the Auzzies and Macron is upset. So upset he recalled his ambassadors from the U.S.

Modern diesel electric subs are pretty damn effective, especially when staying close to home. They are some of the quietest boats you can get. Here’s an article about a Swedish sub vs a US carrier group.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a19784775/gotland-class-sub-ronald-reagan-war-games/

But they don’t have the range to project power, and right now the Aussies want the ability to not be fighting right on their own shores. If they can have an effective nuke boat, that allows them to prowl closer to China. Mix in their boats with ours, the brits and the Japanese, and that makes China a lot more nervous with their surface forces. The Japanese can get away with diesel/electric because they don’t have to have the range.

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:03 pm

NotAMerc wrote:

Thats actually DAMN cool! That is the largest and most innovative implementation of a sterling engine I've ever seen.
I used to work with a guy that was a sterling engine guru --- I thought they were mostly just toys or novelties - but he was all about efficiency without much application. Cool stuff tho....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
NotAMerc wrote:

Yea, but these subs were French

Whenever they get into a conflict they throw up a white flag. Engineers still can't figure out why

Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology/ti ... ey-fleming

Weaponized TikTok, whoda thunk?

Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People actually use TicToc?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:25 pm

Around 100% of millennials use TikTok

Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkhnm wrote:
Pretty sure it's zoomers, most of the millennials I know don't use tiktok.

Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

scrid2000 wrote:
hkhnm wrote:
Pretty sure it's zoomers, most of the millennials I know don't use tiktok.

What age ranges?

My 24 yo daughter doesn't use TikTok

Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Point is if China is relying on TicToc data well TicToc data they shall receive

Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and Zoom. How many Fortune 500 companies use Zoom? And other companies with servers in China, thinking Apple, Google, Microsoft ?

Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:
and Zoom. How many Fortune 500 companies use Zoom? And other companies with servers in China, thinking Apple, Google, Microsoft ?

Indeed. Idiots!

Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NotAMerc wrote:
The unfortunate thing about it is if we were to get involved, there would be a lot of body bags coming home.

All directions too.... India, Korea, Philippines, china and mabey russia too. Or we can fold... If that is the case we cut off all cheap goods from both china and Taiwan.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:16 pm

Who makes body bags? Seems like a growth stock.

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkhnm wrote:
Who makes body bags? Seems like a growth stock.

Now you're thinking! Another thing to do is copy the moves our scummy politicians make on buying stocks. If they can insider trade, so can we!

Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next