Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:32 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Got into a vehicle wreck. Insurance wants to total my car. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you look on copart's or iaai's website you can find similar cars for $1000 or less, they're destroyed. Buying it back for more than $1500 is ridiculous, even fixed it'll only be a $6k car due to the branded title.

Like everyone else has said, figure out the replacement cost to go buy another car locally THIS WEEK, not what kbb or nada says the car is worth and then look at their offer. Going through something similar with the wife's car, we were given 6 comparables - all the same make/model/year, but the condition and miles varied. We're being offered 30% more than we paid 9 months ago, but it's going to take every penny of the settlement on the car to buy a replacement due to the current market.

Fri May 14, 2021 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus- I agree with you 100% on the hassle end of it, as long as the OP has full coverage. Liability only, thats obviously a no-go, and without PIP, "full coverage" does not typically cover medical, just the repair costs. Your plan may vary obviously as there are thousands, but thats been my professional experience as a physician and an auto policy holder as well.
And for sure if a settlement is accepted from a third party, it will be for the total, including medical, unless you have it IN WRITING stating otherwise.... they will try to pay the least possible and wash their hands of it, I've had too many patients find this out the hard way unfortunately.

Fri May 14, 2021 11:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ive got 30 yrs doing auto body.
total loss that cars not worth fixing

Sat May 15, 2021 7:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would not bother fixing that personally.
Get as much money from the insurance as you can out of it and let them keep it.

Sat May 15, 2021 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’d take the last two posts as gospel

...although the El Corolla suggestion made me shoot beer out my nose

I can’t believe Toyota never thought of that

Sat May 15, 2021 6:14 pm
FFL / Dealer

Lots of terrific advice in this thread and the reason I enjoy visiting Waguns.

I don't have comprehensive on any of my vehicles so its just me and the at-fault driver's insurance company involved in
the discussion.

Of course, I found out that their comps were the lowest in the area with maybe 1 above avg. priced vehicle thrown in.
I called a place asking for an independent appraisal of my wreck but they require my own ins. company pay and request it. That's not happening because I don't have comprehensive and my ins. company won't get involved.

I will consider my other options.

Thanks!

Sat May 15, 2021 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Comprehensive coverage has nothing to do with this scenario. It's their liability coverage and your uninsured motorist coverage (if damages are above their coverage), unless there really are injuries. If you use your own medical coverage (the kind that is in effect regardless of fault), then your insurance company can pursue the other company to get reimbursement.

Please get it out of your heads that "full coverage" is a thing that exists. It doesn't. You have the specific coverages listed on your policy, and often you can pick and choose. Insurance AGENTS use the term so they can sell you a policy that covers everything it can; good agents will take out certain things you just don't need. But don't be that guy who actually figures out what you're covered for after the accident happens and get mad when it doesn't do what you thought it does.

Sun May 16, 2021 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they end up fixing it, make sure they compensate you for diminished value in addition to repair costs.

A wrecked car repaired is not worth what a car in pristine condition is worth - they have to compensate you for the difference in price between the two - if you demand it.

Otherwise, they hope you are a rube, and miss out on that legitimate claim for compensation.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon May 17, 2021 12:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... ty=c25199#

https://www.carmax.com/cars/toyota/corolla/s?year=2016

https://www.carvana.com/cars/toyota-corolla/s-2016

https://www.carvana.com/sell-my-car (just for grins, I wasnt impressed with the value they gave for my 05 Duramax with 150k on it, well below street value, but some people on another forum have used it successfully to sell their cars for a profit after driving them for 4 years etc )

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... Records=25

2016 in Kirkland with 40K on it, $17.9K, doesnt specify the trim tho
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

You may have to readjust the trim/mileage settings apparently.

After looking at prices I'd tell em $17k. $15k isn't going to replace a Corolla S with that low mileage.

Unless they can produce a similar car with the same mileage or lower for $15k. I'm not seeing it unless they're shopping salvage title rebuilds in their comps.

Mon May 17, 2021 4:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Comprehensive coverage has nothing to do with this scenario. It's their liability coverage and your uninsured motorist coverage (if damages are above their coverage), unless there really are injuries. If you use your own medical coverage (the kind that is in effect regardless of fault), then your insurance company can pursue the other company to get reimbursement.

Please get it out of your heads that "full coverage" is a thing that exists. It doesn't. You have the specific coverages listed on your policy, and often you can pick and choose. Insurance AGENTS use the term so they can sell you a policy that covers everything it can; good agents will take out certain things you just don't need. But don't be that guy who actually figures out what you're covered for after the accident happens and get mad when it doesn't do what you thought it does.

:yes:

Mon May 17, 2021 6:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stick some decals on the fender, numbers on the door, and you are good to go!

Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3