Chat Box 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Tapatalk integration 7%  7%  [ 7 ]
Mobile Version 23%  23%  [ 22 ]
Other (you better post below) 6%  6%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 96

[POLL] WaGuns v2.0 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So, as you should be aware by the random crashes and slowdowns, WaGuns is getting too large for it's current shoes. Our server is plenty large enough, this is a software issue, where our current board software ceased being updated and supported a decade ago and our backend MySQL version has been end-of-life for quite a while The server host is complaining that they are going to stop providing our SQL version, which is what houses all of our data.

So, we are on an active hunt for WaGuns v2.0, but need some input from all of you on what is a MUST have for you guys on the site, as well as a wish list of maybe things other forums have that this one could benefit from.

A good example is the newer version of phpBB (this boards software) DOES NOT have a user feedback mod... Is that a MUST have? What about the chat box? Like Button? Another example is the massive XenForo software, but they don't support Tapatalk because their mobile version is solid. I've thrown a few options in a poll above that you can checkmark, but please feel free to comment below as well.

We have always said that this site is because of you, and we want me make sure that we don't take steps that will alienate you as a user. We understand that there isn't going to be a single solution that is going to make everybody happy. We know that whatever choice we end up making is going to upset somebody regardless. We are trying to mitigate that by making sure we understand how you use WaGuns and what features are important to help in our decision process.

Thanks guys,
Dan and Steve

Sun May 17, 2020 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X other: Web cam gurls.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Perv emoji. with an arrow that points up.

:peep:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 17, 2020 8:20 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Serious responses would be appreciated. This is the future of WaGuns after all.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Does XenForo have feedback?

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun May 17, 2020 8:33 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m a Tapatalk user, mainly cause I like having an app on my phone for forums stuff. If the mobile experience is solid, I’d be fine using my web browser, though. Let me know if you need any help with testing new stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun May 17, 2020 8:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use TapTalk exclusively for mobile on 1911addicts, which is using XenForo. The feedback system is strange with XenCentral, but you can always go back to the original thread for reference, which is pretty nice.

Chat has been super slow here, not sure it's still needed. I would not make it a high priority if it's not "free" with the next platform. "Free" meaning easy to implement and support.

I think feedback is super important for a gun forum.

The "like post" feature saves extra posts, and also provides users with some feedback their post was good, and encourages people to post something meaningful.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m a Tapatalk user, love it. If I need to change it’s no biggy.

The chat is slow here normally and not sure it is needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun May 17, 2020 8:42 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

mmalleck wrote:
I use TapTalk exclusively for mobile on 1911addicts, which is using XenForo. The feedback system is strange with XenCentral, but you can always go back to the original thread for reference, which is pretty nice.

Chat has been super slow here, not sure it's still needed. I would not make it a high priority if it's not "free" with the next platform. "Free" meaning easy to implement and support.

The "like post" feature saves extra posts, and also provides users with some feedback their post was good, and encourages people to post something meaningful.

There is TT support for XF1 (no longer supported) but not XF2 from what support told me. I’ll have to see further.

I know the biggest issue with TT (even here) is the amount TT wants to integrate and control your code and registration. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to upgrade to newer TT on here is because they want full access to more of the database than we are comfortable giving.

Eventually i see TT starting to lock down access to forums that violate terms like gun sales and ammo.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was thinking about asking if you had looked into vBulletin, but I think there are limitations to some of the desired features in it as well.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the user feedback is very important, Much more important than a "Like" button. While most of us have been here awhile and "know" who the straight shooter's are, newer members may not.
In turn, those newer Members conduct a transaction and then they are vetted with their positive (or not) feedback.

The Chatbox.... Is that really a necessary feature? Since Friday maybe 3-4 people even used it. Is that eating bandwidth or capability that could be used for other features?
I'm not savvy on that stuff so i'll leave that to you.

I personally don't see anything lacking under the old format, but then again i'm not all high tech either. It works for me and it's comfortable like an old pair of slippers.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 17, 2020 8:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gman wrote:
Was thinking about asking if you had looked into vBulletin, but I think there are limitations to some of the desired features in it as well.

I have looked into vB and while that is an option as well, this really all depends on the feature set that the members want. vB May fit that Bill.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:50 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
mmalleck wrote:

There is TT support for XF1 (no longer supported) but not XF2 from what support told me. I’ll have to see further.

I know the biggest issue with TT (even here) is the amount TT wants to integrate and control your code and registration. It’s one of the reasons I refuse to upgrade to newer TT on here is because they want full access to more of the database than we are comfortable giving.

Eventually i see TT starting to lock down access to forums that violate terms like gun sales and ammo.

I could live without TapTalk if there are security concerns. I was a slow adopter of TapTalk, but it is handy. I do like it for responding to messages here when using a phone.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Serious responses would be appreciated. This is the future of WaGuns after all.

well, I did vote too...

How about the ability to embed MP4 video? (can you do that?)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun May 17, 2020 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Tapatalk exclusively. I've quit other forums that stopped supporting it. Now, WaGuns is more important than those other forums to me, so maybe I'd try the mobile version, but I would prefer not to.

Sun May 17, 2020 8:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next