Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 And ... we are back. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup. The site was down for most of the day today. It’s now back, but we did lose some posts from roughly half a day.

A huge thanks to Massivedesign, who spent the better part of today dealing with the issues and making it better. :bow:

I did my part, too. I bitched at him periodically, and I’m pretty sure that that helped. Pretty sure.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue May 12, 2020 9:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The threat of Pitchforks and Torches may have helped too. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue May 12, 2020 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Angelina......

Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That had to be a real headache...

#MassiveHangoverTomorrow

Tue May 12, 2020 9:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:

“Threat” implies that it was just talk.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue May 12, 2020 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:

“Threat” implies that it was just talk.

Don't be backing up now fucker, you were in for it as well for the spoils. :popcorn:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue May 12, 2020 10:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

For those who don't do Facebook, which is where we update the membership when thing like this happen, here is the official report to what happened.
Quote:
So. Here is the story. Dan was building WaGuns v2.0. A newer, happier place. A place that didn’t crash, didn’t lag. A wonderful place.

Well. Dan was close. And all he needed to do was upload an older backup of the database to test the conversion process. It’s really quite simple, until it’s not.

When dan flipped that magical switch, expecting his new baby to come to life, full of posts and PMs and features akin to the old, something didn’t feel right. It wasn’t long before people let dan knew the world at WaGuns v1.0 was imploding. ...and fast.

Dan instantly knew where he went wrong. Instead of converting the old database, he accidentally flipped the switch on the live, active v1.0 database. Destroying it, literally.

So, dan has spent the last 6 hours working on getting the old database back to life. He had to completely kill v2.0, his new baby.

Dan promises when v1.0 comes back, safe guards will be in place to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

And those safeguards are now in place, as promised.... My finger IS my safety. I broke a tenet of firearm safety when it came to the website. I was not aware of what was behind the target.

Wed May 13, 2020 5:26 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
For those who don't do Facebook, which is where we update the membership when thing like this happen, here is the official report to what happened.
Quote:
So. Here is the story. Dan was building WaGuns v2.0. A newer, happier place. A place that didn’t crash, didn’t lag. A wonderful place.

Well. Dan was close. And all he needed to do was upload an older backup of the database to test the conversion process. It’s really quite simple, until it’s not.

When dan flipped that magical switch, expecting his new baby to come to life, full of posts and PMs and features akin to the old, something didn’t feel right. It wasn’t long before people let dan knew the world at WaGuns v1.0 was imploding. ...and fast.

Dan instantly knew where he went wrong. Instead of converting the old database, he accidentally flipped the switch on the live, active v1.0 database. Destroying it, literally.

So, dan has spent the last 6 hours working on getting the old database back to life. He had to completely kill v2.0, his new baby.

Dan promises when v1.0 comes back, safe guards will be in place to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

And those safeguards are now in place, as promised.... My finger IS my safety. I broke a tenet of firearm safety when it came to the website. I was not aware of what was behind the target.

Ouch, having destroyed a database or two accidentally, I can commiserate. And there's nothing so nerve wracking as working on a live database.

Wed May 13, 2020 6:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ancient Chinese proverb say:
"Measure twice. Cut once."

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Wed May 13, 2020 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Quote:

Well Shit. Sorry you lost all the Work Dan.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 13, 2020 7:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True. I hope he has a copy of the work for v2.1.

Always wait until the first dot release (or service pack), right? :wink05:

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Wed May 13, 2020 8:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always wondered why phpbb sites never move to mysql5 with the more solid InnoDB engine. It have been available for more than a decade.

Wed May 13, 2020 8:30 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Gman wrote:
Ancient Chinese proverb say:
"Measure twice. Cut once."

In this case it was "I cut it twice and it's still too short....."

Wed May 13, 2020 8:36 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

jorgeu wrote:
I always wondered why phpbb sites never move to mysql5 with the more solid InnoDB engine. It have been available for more than a decade.

We are 5.6, which is EOL for a LOOOONG TIME. When this is all done, we will be 7.1.

Wed May 13, 2020 8:55 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
jorgeu wrote:

We are 5.6, which is EOL for a LOOOONG TIME. When this is all done, we will be 7.1.

oh! but the error message said something about mysql4. Ok, deceiving. Still, are the tables using innodb engine or myIsam? the later is the crappy default.

Wed May 13, 2020 2:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next