Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New gun owner. Kent, Wa 

Caveman Jim wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Welcome! Good plan on picking up a .22 Pistol to practice with. As far as picking up another pistol in 9mm? If you have an Indoor range anywhere near you that rents pistols, that's a great way to go to find one that fits your hands and that you like before buying.

(is the champion indoor range in Kent still there?)

That G45 is too big for most people to carry concealed, and is also pretty heavy and that will wear on a guy carrying it all day. Congrats on getting into shooting and getting your CPL, you are on the right track. :thumbsup2:

If you get a .22 or a 9mm and have trouble finding ammo, shoot me a message and i can help you out with some. I'm always down to help out a new shooter.

Attachment:
8CE8923E-DC2E-443C-91AB-3C76A21E4E09.jpeg

If you’re new to the firearm scene you should get as much information as you can then put your $$ on something you will not regret because it’s getting worse to try to buy and sell guns here.
When I decided to downsize many pistol calibers down to one, I wanted to get 2 guns that the wife and I both liked. We went to the Marksman in Puyallup because 1) they had an indoor range AND 2) they had gun rentals.
We shot 9 different brands in 40S&W and while those popular brands like Glock, Sig & HK are popular they either didn’t fit our hands or didn’t group well. We both liked the Springfield XDM40 with a 3.8” barrel and bought one subcompact and one with a full size grip.
Also, get involved right now to help thwart the gun haters anti-gun bills they are pushing as we speak.

Yea i emailed my rep a couple weeks ago. No response. Even before I got into guns, I was always for the 2A. It's sad what the blue's are doing to the state and even the country.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:41 pm

ViniVidivici wrote:
usrifle wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:
Don't be discouraged new guy, PLENTY of people carry a G45 just like you have. Very easy with the right rig. Many of us carry similar size/weight guns easily, every single day.

Welcome! Always good to see more new shooters! There's alot to learn, and as you can see it's a blast!

He's 5" 7" tall and likely small framed. Do you think a G45 with light and optic is a good concealed carry option for him?

I'm 6 foot and 175 and that's a stretch to carry concealed (No printing) for me with normal clothing and loose jacket. Sure he can carry it comfortably with the right (custom) holster, but with his frame it's not going to be "concealed" without baggy clothing.

I think he's on the right track with finding a 9mm variation that is more suitable for a CC pistol than that G45.

Quick question Vini, how big are you to carry a full size G45 concealed, especially when it's not Winter with heavy clothing.

5'6", 155, carry G19 or G17 with optic all day long, no matter what clothing. I don't generally run a wml, but it is doable if needed.

JMCK AIWB, even in shorts and sleeveless shirt in summer. Ain't nothin'. OWB at times as well, in different clothing, and works just fine (Blade-Tech Total Eclipse).

Look around the larger community, there are a boatload of average or smaller frames guys who carry a G45 or similar every day, concealed. It's common.

For the OP, this illustrates a "different strokes for different folks" aspect of carry and defensive shooting. Experimenting with different methods and modes of dress will help you find that "sweet spot". Don't dismiss that gun as a perfectly viable option just because of one guy's opinion.

Getting some formal training also will yield dividends. You'll be best prepared with whatever/however you carry if you can meet the "2 second rule", simply drawing from concealment and getting at least one good hit COM in 2 seconds or under. All it takes is practice and the right gun/carry method.

You're on your way! That G45 is a great pistol.

I run the wml for the meme's really. When I get my cpl next month, Ill start looking for holsters. To me the 4-5 o'clock carry position feels natural to me. I don't really know how i feel with the appendix carry until you try it right? Appendix to me seems like it would be faster to draw because you got both hands in that area, and not having to reach around prolly saves some time.

I usually wear my Carhartt jacket year round and if i don't have that on I have lighter hoodie's that breathe well for the summer months. I just thought about summer time shorts. I'm really into the (don't judge me) lululemon shorts that are lined. Super comfortable, light and breathable. Makes me think that i might need to invest into a fanny pack. But something that doesn't scream "i have a gun".

Thanks for the pointers and tips gave me a few things to think about. Im not really worried about the size of the G45. I'd rather have then have not.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:16 pm

usrifle wrote:
5" 6" and 155lbs ??? You sound so much Taller on the Internet Vin. (Smokey and the Bandit reference) :bigsmile:

I'm not discouraging him away from that G45, and I agree with Steve on it for a Range gun or nightstand gun for things that go bump in the night. It's just a Large pistol for everyday carry.

If he can do it, props to him (and you Vin) :thumbsup2:

I assure you it's all muscle!

:cheers2:

Yeah, AIWB is fastest (for me), but strong side OWB or IWB works too. A good quality holster makes all the difference.

I'm guessing you'll be wanting some taller irons for that thing now too.

Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zamlawls wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Welcome! Good plan on picking up a .22 Pistol to practice with. As far as picking up another pistol in 9mm? If you have an Indoor range anywhere near you that rents pistols, that's a great way to go to find one that fits your hands and that you like before buying.

That G45 is too big for most people to carry concealed, and is also pretty heavy and that will wear on a guy carrying it all day. Congrats on getting into shooting and getting your CPL, you are on the right track. :thumbsup2:

If you get a .22 or a 9mm and have trouble finding ammo, shoot me a message and i can help you out with some. I'm always down to help out a new shooter.

I think you are talking about Rain City which was champions and has a new owner now. In terms of gun stores its a meh for me. But yea I would love to make some gun friends. My ol' lady is about on her wits end with me talking to her about this and that, gun wise that is. Same goes for my other friend.

Yeah, that place is a dump…sketchy location, too.

If you don’t mind the drive, check out West Coast Armory, off 405 over by Factoria.

You can rent guns there, too, so you can try different ones out & see which ergos seem to suit your hands.

https://www.westcoastarmory.com/

Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zamlawls wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I think you are talking about Rain City which was champions and has a new owner now. In terms of gun stores its a meh for me. But yea I would love to make some gun friends. My ol' lady is about on her wits end with me talking to her about this and that, gun wise that is. Same goes for my other friend.

You have lots of new gun friends here. :thumbsup2: Now your Lady will be bitching about how much time you spend on Waguns. :ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:57 pm

You are new to carry so yes it is a bit of weight but you will get used to it. That G45 is puny compared to what I have to carry now when I go to the cabin because Spring is on the way and the bears are waking up. The right holster makes a big difference and the more you carry the more you get used to the weight. Have you decided on the position you want to carry? Now that you made the mistake about fit for your hands do not make the same mistake with your wife if you can get her to shoot. You really have not shot that much so it could be a combination of that and your grip.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:40 am

hartcreek wrote:
You are new to carry so yes it is a bit of weight but you will get used to it. That G45 is puny compared to what I have to carry now when I go to the cabin because Spring is on the way and the bears are waking up. The right holster makes a big difference and the more you carry the more you get used to the weight. Have you decided on the position you want to carry? Now that you made the mistake about fit for your hands do not make the same mistake with your wife if you can get her to shoot. You really have not shot that much so it could be a combination of that and your grip.

I'm thinking I'll go with the appendix even though the 4 o'clock position feels more natural. I think it has something to do with the movie collateral with Tom cruise and Jamie fox. One of my favorite movies of all time, he carries in that position.

I'll post a picture later showing my grip and see what you guys think.

Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[/quote]My ol' lady is about on her wits end with me talking to her about this and that, gun wise that is. Same goes for my other friend.[/quote]

Get two .22LR pistols, one for you, one for her. She will thank you, and you will thank yourself, as your opportunities to go to the range may increase exponentially.
Your friend will have to get his own pistol. LOL.
Welcome aboard. :wagwoot:

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:25 pm

cdoniguian wrote:
My ol' lady is about on her wits end with me talking to her about this and that, gun wise that is. Same goes for my other friend.[/quote]

Get two .22LR pistols, one for you, one for her. She will thank you, and you will thank yourself, as your opportunities to go to the range may increase exponentially.
Your friend will have to get his own pistol. LOL.
Welcome aboard. :wagwoot:[/quote]
Yea i stopped at pentels and they had a 44 for a pretty decent price... Now i need to wait til Monday to pick it up. My friend's wife actually has quite a bit of guns lol. I actually invited them to go shooting tomorrow.

Ill have to save up a bit to grab another one. I think i may have went overboard on my G45...

Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2