Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Greetings from the peninsula 

Hello folks,

Happy to find and join this group! Been shooting since the mid 2000's but considerably more avid the last couple years now that I've finally gotten the opportunity to get out of the city life. Also doesn't hurt that I've access to a few dozen acres to shoot on. Though not a hunter myself (unfortunately one of those poor suckers that stomach does backflips when I see a more than a few tablespoons worth of blood!) it makes me happy to see we've got a healthy hunting community out on the peninsula.

I'm big into suppressors these days as I live in a pretty steep valley so those .308's really echo for miles. A nice added bonus is that you can really hear that steel ring with a can on the end of your rifle. I hope to get into reloading at some point in the near future once things (hopefully!) become more available as supply can fill out the demand.

Anywoo, happy to come across you folks here and happy to be part of the community!

Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns!

Oh man, I'm so jealous . . . I'd love to have some land accessible where I could shoot.

Reloading is a great part of the hobby, let us know when you're ready to roll!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here.

:wagwoot:

Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Welcome to WaGuns!

Oh man, I'm so jealous . . . I'd love to have some land accessible where I could shoot.

Yes I am too...probably good for the wallet though, that I don't have the acreage.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Waguns! :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:27 pm

mewlewsmagic wrote:
Hello folks,

Happy to find and join this group! Been shooting since the mid 2000's but considerably more avid the last couple years now that I've finally gotten the opportunity to get out of the city life. Also doesn't hurt that I've access to a few dozen acres to shoot on. Though not a hunter myself (unfortunately one of those poor suckers that stomach does backflips when I see a more than a few tablespoons worth of blood!) it makes me happy to see we've got a healthy hunting community out on the peninsula.

I'm big into suppressors these days as I live in a pretty steep valley so those .308's really echo for miles. A nice added bonus is that you can really hear that steel ring with a can on the end of your rifle. I hope to get into reloading at some point in the near future once things (hopefully!) become more available as supply can fill out the demand.

Anywoo, happy to come across you folks here and happy to be part of the community!

If you enjoy suppressed .308, I think you will enjoy subsonic .308. I load my own 308 with 180 grain round nose in my 1-10 twist Savage 112 using about 10 grains of H110. You will need a chronograph if you load subsonic as you will want about 1050 fps to keep just under the transonic speeds. Expect group size to double as the large case is not intended to use small powder charges. 300 blackout is a better choice for subsonic, but is not as flexible as 308.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:29 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Greetings and Welcome to WaGuns !!

Reloading CAN become a very addictive hobby.

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:33 pm

Ranb wrote:
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Hello folks,

If you enjoy suppressed .308, I think you will enjoy subsonic .308. I load my own 308 with 180 grain round nose in my 1-10 twist Savage 112 using about 10 grains of H110. You will need a chronograph if you load subsonic as you will want about 1050 fps to keep just under the transonic speeds. Expect group size to double as the large case is not intended to use small powder charges. 300 blackout is a better choice for subsonic, but is not as flexible as 308.

Great info TY! Custom heavy rounds is exactly why I'm really wanting to get into reloading. Agree on the blackout being better for subs but the prices these days on those is a major buzz kill.

cCan anyone rec a good chrono setup?

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mewlewsmagic wrote:
Can anyone rec a good chrono setup?[/quote]
I'm pretty sure their is a certain Admin on here who can make a recommendation. icon_eek
:bigsmile:

:peep:

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:56 pm

mewlewsmagic wrote:
Great info TY! Custom heavy rounds is exactly why I'm really wanting to get into reloading. Agree on the blackout being better for subs but the prices these days on those is a major buzz kill.

cCan anyone rec a good chrono setup?

Any brand is accurate enough. Look on Midwayusa for products. The cheapest ones are the Chrony brand that folds up into a compact unit. I went through three of them in 25 years; all shot through. Now I use one that has the power supply and read out on the bench and the sensors mounted separately downrange.

When you start reloading, the 300 blackout will be a tiny bit cheaper than 308 due to the slightly smaller powder charges. The usual 1-8 300 blackout twist will stablize 240 grain hpbt bullets whereas you need to use lighter ones for the usual 1-10 twist barrels. There is very little difference in drop at 200 yards between hpbt and round nose bullets. at subsonic speeds.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, welcome neighbor!
I'm just down the road in Sequim.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cdoniguian wrote:
mewlewsmagic wrote:
Can anyone rec a good chrono setup?

I'm pretty sure their is a certain Admin on here who can make a recommendation. icon_eek
:bigsmile:

:peep:

Hehe. Dick. :bigsmile:

Ranb wrote:
I went through three of them in 25 years; all shot through.

Yep. I went through a few as well, but it didn't take me 25 years. I must be more efficient than Ranb. :ROFLMAO: I had one friend put a .357 into one of them, another friend grazed another with a PS90, and then I put a 10mm into the face of another. :rofl9:

My recommendation now is to buy a Labradar. Buy once, cry once. You won't ever shoot it. You won't have to wait for a cold range to set it up, or wait for the next cold range if your first setup wasn't correct. (Yeah, I know you don't need to worry about hot/cold ranges, mewlewsmagic.)

Just go right to the top. :thumbsup2:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Quote:
My recommendation now is to buy a Labradar.

Damn looks like a hell of a simple setup. ty for the rec sir. I'll stick that one on the holiday list.

Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]