Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Mike Palazzo 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

You have been warned...

Last edited by 3584ELK on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that looks tore up

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:18 pm

I waited more than a year and paid @ $2400 for that "craftsmanship" !

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

3584ELK wrote:

icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek Give us the story.. Rifle specs, what you wanted done, his reaction when you brought it up...

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:52 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
3584ELK wrote:

icon_eek icon_eek icon_eek Give us the story.. Rifle specs, what you wanted done, his reaction when you brought it up...

No shit! What he said ^^^

Dets, my man, dets!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:57 pm

To start with, I delivered three project rifles to him, with typed instructions as to what I wanted done. There is not room to detail all the conversations and visits needed to correct what I wanted vs. what he wanted me to do. He even argued with me about my caliber choice for 4 weeks!

Some detail of what each photo shows. More later...

In the photo at the top, note the pitting which he just painted over with DuraCoat. Very poor prep work resulted in the DuraCoat flaking off. You will see evidence of this in the other pics.

In the 2nd photo from the top, you can see the reason for the modified Mauser bolt handle interfering with a Weaver 3 x scope. The bases were shimmed so badly that with the scope mounted in the front base, the tail end of the rear ring doesn't even touch the base.

In the 4th photo, notice all the tool marks- it’s as if the barrel was removed and installed with a BFH (big F’ing hammer) and a pipe wrench. You can also see the ground down recoil lug (never requested), numerous hammer mark (non-existent prior to barrel removal).

Photo # 5 plainly shows how the dovetail joint was mashed together and hammered. When I asked about this, he shrugged and began to explain to me what I could do with it. No recognition that he was responsible for the damage. Really disgusting.

When confronted, he has thousands of excuses and fixes to propose, but no responsibility. He even tells me I would have to pay to have it corrected. What a joke.

Last edited by 3584ELK on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is lookink like authentic Rooski crapsmanship.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You haven't paid him a dime, I hope.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wow I have seen better work done by him how old is he now?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kc0yef wrote:
Wow I have seen better work done by him how old is he now?

Yeah...I agree. I have had and seen some top notch work from his hands...But he has to be getting WAY up there in age...I haven't seen him in over 7 years and he was getting elderly and not so sharp back then. Perhaps his pride is getting the best of him and he is not accepting his age and limits anymore...that sucks on all fronts.

-- Travis A Kisner

Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:44 pm

His eyes are clearly suffering, but I also watched him use pliers on a customer's scope caps, leaving a gnarly scratch on the cap. That is process, not eyesight.

Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:08 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seen better work out of a H.S. shop class.

Sorry to hear/see this. Is he apprenticing someone with walleye?

Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Not sure how to answer your question about 'walleye'...

I don't think he is apprenticing anyone. I do know he needs a MAJOR cleanup in his shop. When we were arguing about my
choice of caliber, he spent 30 minutes trying to locate a reamer for the caliber I wanted in one of the rifles. There is literally
no flat surface in that shop that isn't covered in clutter.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I meant to say, "wall eye" i.e. a more polite way of saying, "cross eyed" or "can't see s***".

Although, I really like fish, so it's possible I'd apprentice for some walleye.

Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:30 am

So…the saga continues. After bedding the Erfurt 98 Mauser and having the DuraKote flake off like paint off an old farmhouse,
I mounted a reliable K 3 Weaver in Leupold rings and went to the range. I had bore sighted the rifle at home, and only needed a few shots to get the windage corrected at 25 yards. The scopes elevation adjustment was bottomed out (Down) before shooting the group shown. As you can see, the group is 3” high. It was at this point that I knew I was in trouble.

After setting up a target at 100 yards, and shooting the first group over top of the target frame, I adjusted my point of aim to the bottom of the orange circle and landed a 3 shot group just at the top of the target. Nice enough group, but 12 inches high at 100 yards.

Puzzling over this on the trip home, I recalled the rear scope base was a bit odd when I torqued it during installation of the scope. Upon arriving home, I placed the rifle in my gun vise and stepped back…you can clearly see a nose down tilt to the scope towards the muzzle. Viola! There is the reason for the inability to zero the scope. The angle of sight diverges so much from the bore angle that there is no way to get it zeroed.

After removal of the scope and rings, off comes the rear mount base. It seems our friend, the fine craftsman that he is, decided to weld, solder, or braze a shim onto the rear mount base just because he had not yet created enough headaches for me. Why do this, when the part from Leupold already clears the stripper clip hump on Mausers? As you can see, the shim creates an un- necessary gap between the stripper clip hump and the base. Nice fingerprint imbedded in the Dura- Kote as well- perhaps it's a trademark.

And yes, the obvious lack of care and prep work exhibited during the Dura-Kote job is simply negligent. Yet more re- work for me. At least I know how to clean a part prior to coating application.

And now that I have the scope mounted parallel to the axis of the bore, the bolt handle hits the scope!
Mike Palazzo Gunsmtihing SUCKS! :cussing:

Last edited by 3584ELK on Mon May 30, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next