Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Run the Gun-Hosted by Adventure Protection, Ravensdale 

Well for one, When dealing relatively close-in, I’ve trained to step away from the hard and fast dogma of front sight reliance. Some call it point shooting, and I’ve taken some of Roger Phillip’s point shooting classes in Las Vegas which for me has only strengthened my feelings about it (with Roger it goes out even farther). In my IDF training we called it barrel on meat, or as translated in English some of you have heard it called metal on meat. At any rate, Steve trains that way in his classes, with a sort of simultaneous focus on the sight and the target, with the target really being the primary. Of course as you get farther out it changes.
So I guess to answer your question, that was one example of a refreshing change from, at least in my experience, the norm.
If I’ve misrepresented anything from Steve’s teachings I’m sure we’ll be hearing from him shortly. ;-)

"We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free"
Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I was supposed to return from a business trip last night, but flights through Heathrow were fuckered yesterday so I didn't get home until today . . . and consequently missed the handgun Run The Gun class today. :cussing:

I'll be there for rifle tomorrow, though! Somebody jab me if I fall asleep mid-magazine. :bigsmile:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, that's one way for usrifle to beat you... icon_eek

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isildur wrote:
Well, that's one way for usrifle to beat you... icon_eek

Right?
The class was amazing. WELL WORTH IT! I learned a whole lot in a hurry. Grip, shooting both eyes open and how to be successful in YOUR Gunfight.
We did Failure drills, timed fire drills, reload drills and more than i can even recall at the moment. I have never had such professional Training before and i can't stress enough how valuable that was.
A couple things about Combat shooting that sabasarge mentioned....Your front sight? It's not your focus. Reloading? Keep your eyes on the threat and bring your arms/Hands in.
21 Foot Rule? Yeah, bring that up to him. He has some feelings on that nonsense.
Drill, repeat....drill repeat.... drill repeat....and you WILL be better. No fancy gimmick Shit needed, he stresses that. Keep it simple, and repeat it.....a lot.
I'm still trying to soak it all in.
You will learn many things rather quickly, i have a blister on my strong hand thumb Knuckle from a too high sweat guard on my Kydex Holster.
Yeah, the dremel is coming out on that thing, and it's not even my Carry gun and Holster. You may walk away rethinking your Gear and possibly what you carry. I think more than a few did.
Right now i am putting away some stuff and then it's time to get the Rifle gear ready for tomorrow. It's going to be another great Class.
Thanks to Steve Shields and the other Instructor's too. (Sorry, their names escape me right now) but they were incredible as well. :bow:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:12 pm

It was a great weekend of instructing, getting to know folks and the area.

First, to respond to sabasarge's; just to clarify in case someone gets the wrong idea, my courses do not teach point-shooting. The front sight is used as a reference point just like the red dot optic. Your sights will not come off the target or threat unless you make the conscious choice to do so.
When you have a catastrophic event unfold in front of you, your eye will always go to the unfolding event, not the front sight. And one can't be chasing a dot around the target/threat trying to get it to settle if the eyes are going all over the place...it's just simple "How the mind" works drills, in which the student finds out for themselves how they best are able to achieve hits in an expedient manner...and it all startes with the eyes.

usrifle, thank you for the great, kind review. Will getting back up there before winter to work with my instructor crew, so hoping to see some familiar faces during that time.

Attachment:
Run the Pistol 7-27-19.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Life Member

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

“If I’ve misrepresented anything from Steve’s teachings I’m sure we’ll be hearing from him shortly. ;-)”

See?
:bow:

Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm

sabasarge...you didn't misrepresent the course, in fact you were spot on. I just wanted to further clarify what I do, and how I do it.

In the past, I've had others misrepresent what I do when the phase "Point Shooting" comes up. For some reason they tend to remember that phrase enough that it has caused the need to clarify. Just wanted to get in front of it before things might start heading that direction.

NRA Life Member

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

All good brother. I’m glad this last weekend turned out so nice. I’m looking forward to our next get-together.

Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rifle class on Sunday was equally amazing. Steve, Paul and Katon were once again on Point. This is no nonsense Training that will help you to react correctly under stress and Run your Gun when it matters most.
Reload drills...Admin, Tactical/Emergency and Speed. It's not as easy as you think. Failure drills? The double feed, that was a good one and i promptly failed that one when i had a double feed during the 5 second drills.

Steve teaches you how to stay in the Fight and keep your Focus on the threat under duress. Don't take your eyes off the threat or you lose the ground you own. Drop your eyes or lose your focus and you lose that ground and have to retake it.
The 5 second drill? That's a fun one.

On the Timer from a "Low ready" the first one is one shot inside the 6 ring in 5 seconds. Yeah, at 5 Yards that's easy...right? Amazing how many People popped that round in the first 1 or 2 seconds, myself included. Oh, don't forget holdover at that distance. Remember, if you want to center punch the "X" it's a couple inches below your red dot.
(We zeroed at 50 Yards and you are good to 200....but you need to know the holdover under that distance)
Then it's 2 in five and so on up to 10 rounds in that 5 seconds. Even at 5 yards when you get to 5 or more it starts getting a whole lot tougher with a Red dot. (oh, and don't chase the dot like i did, he will teach you how to keep your focus)

You think 5 or more shots in the 6 ring from the "low ready" while also manipulating your safety in 5 seconds is easy? Try it sometime. Then try 10 in 5 seconds...Preferably with him, he will teach how to be successful doing that.
Then you move back to 10 yards and do it again. During that you are also performing all the Reload drills because you may run dry or know that you won't make the next string with whats left in your Mag while the Timer is running. (or have a double feed like me).

You think the distance we started at is unrealistic? As i recall the distance for the average Rifle engagement Steve and Paul mentioned was under 45 Yards. That 25 yard Zero and the Holdover Training was very valuable. You aren't "sniping" at that distance, you are engaging with your eyes as rapidly as you can.

You think Katon had any cadence on the Timer after the 5 seconds expired before the next Beep? Hell no, that's where more duress comes in. Then move back again and repeat.
During all this Steve and Paul are working the Line with instruction and suggestions to improve. There is a whole lot going on during this Training but they will stop it with a "Safe and Hang" to make points throughout.

You think your Rifle will Lock in a fully Loaded 30 rd mag with a closed Bolt? You might need to check that, you may be surprised. The Training covered that. I saw some pretty high end build AR's fail that test with Pmags and GI to.
I really enjoyed the Balloon and 2 inch sticky note drill, you need to attend so you can find out what that was.

So thank you again for the incredible weekend of Training Cerebus and Adventure Protection, it was well worth the Time and Money without a doubt.
I am already using what i learned to put together a dedicated AR for serious business. It's not what i thought it would be either. I ran a 10.5 inch SBR for the class and i would have been better off with a 16 inch Carbine.

Oh, and you folks who are "on the Fence" about getting this type of Training? Jump off that fence and learn how to really "Run" that Gun. It's worth your time and Money i assure you.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:59 am

Sunday Rifle...Everyone Nailed It! Katon did an excellent job of running the show in the afternoon, while Paul and I watched the line.

Everyone was locked in, it made our job a dream...was extremely happy to watch everyone excel! Good times had by all!

Attachment:
Rifle 7-28-19.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Life Member

Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3