Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 LED lighting - importance of aiming your headlights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ya'll know I'm a light snob..

I swapped out my Termitor bulbs, which are some of the brightest on the market, for the next step up, which are DiamondVision F9.

Keep in mind, these are NOT projector lenses, but reflector lenses, which are very picky about their light source.

I took before and after pics. Look where the beam is.

These are very similar LED retrofits, but despite them being almost identical, both the high beam and low beam are insanely high now, and have to be adjusted. Imagine that ball of fire headed towards you at night.

This is why you need to aim your effing headlights after every lamp replacement.

I took pics with fixed settings, on both high and low beam, and from driver seat and from standing position just outside the car, at the roofline.

I channeled Michael J. Fox in a couple of them. Sorry.

You can see, very clearly, that the F9 is much brighter, and, obviously need to be aimed a bit lower, since the highbeams are at the top of the trees. Overall, HUGE improvement.

Attachment:
LB DRIVER VS.jpg

Attachment:
HB DRIVER VS.jpg

Attachment:
LB ROOF VS.jpg

Attachment:
HB ROOF VS.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

proper aliment is 25ft away facing a wall, no highs or fog lights on

YA FUCKERS PISS ME OFF USING LED IN HALOGEN HOUSING!! guess the love my light bar in their face

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
proper aliment is 25ft away facing a wall, no highs or fog lights on

YA FUCKERS PISS ME OFF USING LED IN HALOGEN HOUSING!! guess the love my light bar in their face

Proper LEDs will work in most properly aimed housings - even reflector.

The issue you're seeing is twofold.

Cheap, shitty LED retrofits and cheap, shitty drivers who don't aim their headlights.

Same shit happened in late 90s early 2000s with HIDs.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Attachment:
84100837_2378848155547997_8119372425952493568_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Jeep crowd is the one that always get on my nerves, it seems like every Wrangler I see the stock headlights are swapped out for an LED cluster of some kind.

A few months ago I had a Jeep about a half mile behind me and he was coming up fast and it was like a fucking meteor shooting up my ass now mind you my windows are tinted very dark and I was still struggling to see.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

zombie66 wrote:
The Jeep crowd is the one that always get on my nerves, it seems like every Wrangler I see the stock headlights are swapped out for an LED cluster of some kind.

A few months ago I had a Jeep about a half mile behind me and he was coming up fast and it was like a fucking meteor shooting up my ass now mind you my windows are tinted very dark and I was still struggling to see.

Don't get me started. It's in my Weenie lighting educational thread.

Those ones with 30+ emitters and no optics are nothing but floody glare producers.

I keep a hammer in my trunk, and every damn time, I'm tempted more and more to fix the problem permanently.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:37 am

When I had to rebuild the light cluster at the back of Mom's Trailblazer I was tempted to plug in LED 3157's in place of bulbs. Ended up going with traditional because 1. the LED 3157's Walmart had are too bright for anything but offroad use and 2. at that rolling pile of crap's age the new bulbs would far exceed the life of the car they'd be mounted in, so the juice wasn't worth the financial squeeze unless they coul be stripped and swapped into "my" Equinox. (Technically my aunt's estate's until we finish probate, but...)

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Diamondback wrote:
When I had to rebuild the light cluster at the back of Mom's Trailblazer I was tempted to plug in LED 3157's in place of bulbs. Ended up going with traditional because 1. the LED 3157's Walmart had are too bright for anything but offroad use and 2. at that rolling pile of crap's age the new bulbs would far exceed the life of the car they'd be mounted in, so the juice wasn't worth the financial squeeze unless they coul be stripped and swapped into "my" Equinox. (Technically my aunt's estate's until we finish probate, but...)

Nowadays, good LED conversions run about $100 for the whole car.... It's the first thing I do with any car I buy. :bigsmile:

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can we just allow adaptive headlights in the US already?!?

Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
I dont know what those are and Im afraid of them so I say BANNNNNN THEM!!!!

Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:

Sorry, gotta keep 1930s laws in place. They're too busy dealing with important shit, like passing bills to allow funding for study of the transmission of Gonorrhea and other STDs in blowup dolls.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just drive around my 20YO cars with my high beams on all the time. I never flip them off anymore.

NOBODY ever high beams me either.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

High beams? I don't need no stinking high beams.

Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:35 pm

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Diamondback wrote:

Nowadays, good LED conversions run about $100 for the whole car.... It's the first thing I do with any car I buy. :bigsmile:

Is there really a point on a vehicle almost 20 years old that's going to be scrap bait soon because its owner thinks "maintenance is a scam" and refuses to even have frickin' OIL CHANGES or replace a holed washer-fluid reservoir, though?

The Equinox is a 2020 and planned for retrofit as soon as we get through probate... assuming it gets to me and my mother doesn't just get it titled to her as senior heir and sell it off because the front seats don't fit her whale ass...

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:26 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Sorry, gotta keep 1930s laws in place. They're too busy dealing with important shit, like passing bills to allow funding for study of the transmission of Gonorrhea and other STDs in blowup dolls.

Both our cars have adaptive headlights, but they are software disabled because of stupid US laws.
zombie66 wrote:
I dont know what those are and Im afraid of them so I say BANNNNNN THEM!!!!

Basically, it can change the amount of light in zones so you can have high beams on and NOT blind oncoming traffic or the car ahead of you. The zone tracks with the target vehicle.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next