Switch to full style
Do-It-Yourselfers, let's talk about home, auto and other non-gun related projects!
Post a reply

Re: What did you DIY today?

Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:50 pm

RocketScott wrote:Tried to pull the front step out without success

As far as I can tell it was poured after the foundation. There’s no rebar in it but man is it stuck. I’m tempted to rip it out with the boom truck but I don’t want to also rip a hole in the foundation

Thoughts?

Might try pouring muriatic acid between the step and the foundation to see if that would loosen it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:20 pm

RocketScott, If the guy who put the step in knew what he was doing, he would have drilled into the foundation and smacked in some anchor bolts. And then poured the step around the bolts. This ties the two together and prevents the step from settling. What you need is a jackhammer!

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Wedges and feathers.

Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:24 pm

I've got a bigaz rotohammer. I ran a chisel around the edges (top and left side) trying to get it to pop off. The foundation doesn't chip away when I do that, just the step

I did undercut it by maybe half, or a little more. There's actually a cavity in the middle and I think the only contact with the foundation is 4" around the perimeter

The line of holes down the middle were to split it in half (divide and conquer). I drilled those then drove a wedge in one of the holes near the edge. it cracked down the middle but didn't come off the foundation

The hole in the step goes into the cavity. I was thinking about chaining it up to the boom and pulling on it. Then I though "Hey, I should show the guys on WaGuns this clusterF before I rip a hole in the foundation"

I like your style Pablo...

Pablo wrote:

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:07 pm

They probably did it right - drilled into the foundation, and tied re-bar in the step directly to the foundation. Jack hammer it out a piece at a time. Then, cutting torch for the re-bar.

Boom truck it, and all you will have left is a great video of your whole house collapsing when you tear out the entire foundation wall on that side.

YouTube legendary status though..............................

Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:31 pm

There isn’t a foot of rebar in the entire foundation

It was poured in the 50s

I cut the access hole at the back all the way down to the footing (it does actually have a footing, some didn’t back then). 6” thick, 5’ tall, no rebar

Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:12 am

RocketScott wrote:There isn’t a foot of rebar in the entire foundation

It was poured in the 50s

I cut the access hole at the back all the way down to the footing (it does actually have a footing, some didn’t back then). 6” thick, 5’ tall, no rebar

Even if the foundation. Doesn’t have steel, if it’s not moving from wedging and a chisel bit I’m sure they did apoxy rebar dowels, even on a 4” slab you apoxy dowels usually ever 8-12” so I’m sure there are several dowels in that step.

Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:48 pm

Daveygravey89 wrote:
RocketScott wrote:There isn’t a foot of rebar in the entire foundation

It was poured in the 50s

Even if the foundation. Doesn’t have steel, if it’s not moving from wedging and a chisel bit I’m sure they did apoxy rebar dowels, even on a 4” slab you apoxy dowels usually ever 8-12” so I’m sure there are several dowels in that step.

Doesnt need to be epoxied in, slightly undersized hole and hammer in rebar dowels , it isn't pulling out without a lot force applied.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:37 pm

Bought a smooth faced framing hammer from amazon by mistake, between taking a loss on a return and the waffle faced replacement costing about 30% more I just decided to dimple the face. The upper and lower extremes of the face are much harder than the middle, going to see about buying a diff drill bit and try some more tomorrow.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:00 pm

NWRed wrote:Bought a smooth faced framing hammer from amazon by mistake, between taking a loss on a return and the waffle faced replacement costing about 30% more I just decided to dimple the face. The upper and lower extremes of the face are much harder than the middle, going to see about buying a diff drill bit and try some more tomorrow.

Just use a small cutting wheel on a dremel and cut a waffle design.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:03 pm

I never saw the need for dimpling or cross hatching. A smooth-faced hammer works just fine.

Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:17 pm

Arisaka wrote:I never saw the need for dimpling or cross hatching. A smooth-faced hammer works just fine.

I bend a lot of nails with a worn out waffle face :bigsmile:

Selador wrote:Just use a small cutting wheel on a dremel and cut a waffle design.

Waffles wear out/flatten fairly quickly hitting steel stuff at work (adjustable screwjacks/rebar/formwork spikes/steel stakes etc) , dimples last a lot longer. I may end up waffling the edges with a dremel if I run into issues with the hardness trying to dimple it any further

Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:01 am

I've always bought waffled hammers. They get worn down after a while and I've never bothered to clean them up, so I guess they are semi-smooth. One guy I worked with said I was a shitty carpenter if I needed waffles on my hammer, whatever bro

I've got a bucket full of framing hammers if you want to grab a few extra, mostly 21/22oz fat max or vaughn. I use dead on now and have about a half dozen or so. I break handles often enough that I order them by the dozen and fix a few at a time

Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:04 am

RocketScott wrote:I break handles often enough that I order them by the dozen and fix a few at a time

Goddamn Scott, you must really hate nails.

Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:57 am

Use the metal part to hit the nails Scott. It's a lot easier on the handles. Just sayin'.
Post a reply