Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:08 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 73  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some miscreants in my area have been prying open Security Mailboxes. Since I have one of those, I figured I better be proactive.
I drilled a 5/16" hole through the flange on each side and put a 1/4" shank Master lock on each side.
The hasp's overlapped the door where you get the Mail so it was tightly closed even when the door was unlocked.
I figured that wasn't enough if a determined thief managed to fold the door to get by, so I used a thick piece of angle Iron that spanned the door to each lock.
If somebody really wants to get in it they could, but they would make a whole lot of noise while they did it and I'm a night Owl.
Yeah, bolt cutters...but I doubt most Mail thieves carry those.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dryer vent fun today! Morpro!!

Mission accomplished topside is the most important thing.

The duct run underneath is just too long and there is no practical fix, just keep it clean and minimize bends coming in. To make things worse, some builder clown or later add clown put the natural gas inlet behind dryer - right and I mean right center line of dryer vent behind. And the vent down pipe to underhouse nether regions is in corner of room to the left. FAK. Me and the previous old ass just did loopy flex pipe connected then get your fat posterior extricated from behind dryer and push the whole mess in place.

Searched around ought me one 90° Magvent and one SnapToVent. These two pups worked very nicely together. Way way more pro.

From dryer: https://www.zigguratproducts.com/collec ... gree-elbow
To duct through floor: https://www.magvent-dryervent.com/

Dryer is more zippy!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My dryer vent goes straight out the wall, and done!

I noticed that my new dryer is different from the old one.

The old one just had the vent pipe sticking out the back of the dyer. You had to slide the flex pipe or whatever, over it, and then use a clamp to tighten the connection up.

The new one has the vent. But then it also has this sort of compressive ring around the outside of it. If you slide another solid pipe over the vent, it slides inside of this compressive ring, and everything is sealed up without a clamp. Holds pretty tight, too.

So I spent a great deal of time, carefully measuring exactly where that dryer vent met the wall. So I could drill a hole that was exactly centered.

Drilled my hole, and put in the strongest huge all metal outside dryer vent I could find. (It's in a place that is perfect for a bear scratching post. And they use every sharp corner they can find around here, for that purpose. Had to replace the outlet on my power pole, because they rubbed it right off the post, using it to scratch with.)

Anywho... Got everything installed, and the pipe was too long. Took it back out, and cut it to the perfect length.

Now the dryer is not quite slipping inside the pipe. So I slightly crimped all around the outside of the pipe on the dryer. As little as possible, and as much at only the rim as possible. Tried again, and slipped right in, perfectly.

So now, the dryer sits about 2 inches from the wall, and shoots right straight out the wall. And yet is all sealed up without trying to reach into that 2 inch space to position and tighten a clamp. Do not pass go, do collect a bonus!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
My dryer vent goes straight out the wall, and done!

So now, the dryer sits about 2 inches from the wall, and shoots right straight out the wall. And yet is all sealed up without trying to reach into that 2 inch space to position and tighten a clamp. Do not pass go, do collect a bonus!

I wish! Under the house still needs 20 foot run. With bends.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Some miscreants in my area have been prying open Security Mailboxes. Since I have one of those, I figured I better be proactive.
I drilled a 5/16" hole through the flange on each side and put a 1/4" shank Master lock on each side.
The hasp's overlapped the door where you get the Mail so it was tightly closed even when the door was unlocked.
I figured that wasn't enough if a determined thief managed to fold the door to get by, so I used a thick piece of angle Iron that spanned the door to each lock.
If somebody really wants to get in it they could, but they would make a whole lot of noise while they did it and I'm a night Owl.

Actually, mail pirates have bolt cutters, sawzall, prybars etc.

They are relentless.

Your setup versus prybar will last less than 10 seconds.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:55 pm

Got in an Aero M5 upper for my 6.5 Creed build

Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:59 pm

SporkBoy wrote:
usrifle wrote:

They are relentless.

Cell phone cameras are your only hope to catch the bastards

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
usrifle wrote:

They are relentless.

Actually, a lot of them up this way don’t.

Many are tweakers, but know that if found with ‘tools’, it compounds the charges...

With no tools, they can claim they ‘found’ it...

We’ve caught a number of them in our neighborhood in the last year.

Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
SporkBoy wrote:
usrifle wrote:

They are relentless.

Actually, a lot of them up this way don’t.

Many are tweakers, but know that if found with ‘tools’, it compounds the charges...

With no tools, they can claim they ‘found’ it...

We’ve caught a number of them in our neighborhood in the last year.

Agreed, most are looking for the easy boxes and at best have a "Wonder Bar" to pry a door.

10 seconds with a Pry bar? I doubt it unless they tore the Locks free from the Flanges and that would make some pretty good noise. Plus the flanges are double wall.

Did i mention i'm a night Owl?...and that i hang out in my garage after work until the wee hours with a big Mag Light, a suppressed .22 pistol with sub ammo and a low tolerance for thieves?

I have cameras that show the mailboxes and i hear any vehicle that enters my Cul de sac. Go ahead, make my day. (Night) :wink05:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More progress on the trailer. New brakes, seals, and hub caps

Stoic was a huge help. The trailer is over at his place. He also had a motorcycle jack that work perfectly for lifting the drums back on. He figured they weight a couple hundred pounds

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Scott, you are a man of many talents. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Well done Scott, you are a man of many talents. :thumbsup2:

Even though it's big it's relatively simple and most of the parts aren't very expensive. The brake shoes were $23 each, the hardware kit that included new rollers, retainers, bushings, and springs was $11. I wasted a bunch of time yesterday morning cleaning the old parts, only to find out how cheap they were to replace when I got to the parts store

I do owe a lot to Stoic. Besides giving me a place to park it, he's got a lot of experience with this stuff

Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spent most of my weekend getting the kids race car ready. Of course waiting till the last minute. Got every out and panels are now painted. Ready to start actually putting the damn thing together.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!

Lucky kids! :thumbsup2:

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree. Looks like fun!

Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 ... 73  Next