Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 RV-Camper thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So we just got our fist camper. After watching a a few videos of tips and how-tos, I came here.

So I know some of the old farts, er, I mean Senior Members here have some considerable time and miles logged in RVs and campers and maybe this would be a great place to share some of your tips and suggestions on your favorite process, products, places to dump, places to visit, etc!!

:wagwoot: :cheers2:

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of old farts do things the ez way.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of us less older old timers use the keycards.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
So we just got our fist camper. After watching a a few videos of tips and how-tos, I came here.

So I know some of the old farts, er, I mean Senior Members here have some considerable time and miles logged in RVs and campers and maybe this would be a great place to share some of your tips and suggestions on your favorite process, products, places to dump, places to visit, etc!!

What did you get? What is your main purpose for it? How many people/animals? What are you towing/hauling it with?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

What did you get? What is your main purpose for it? How many people/animals? What are you towing/hauling it with?

Its a 23' Sportsman UltraLite with a slide out in the rear. Just me and the wife and the dog (40lbs).

I have about a dozen rigs to tow it with, but mostly a dodge cummins flatbed with a rhino on the back or an identical dodge half ton or a 3/4ton suburban. I got the truck department handled. lol

We will be using it at our other property and for the usual camping trip occasionally.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Some of old farts do things the ez way.

Since marriage, my days of EZ rosebuds are over. :wink05:

Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

Congrats on getting into the RV world. They give you a sense of freedom until you try to make reservations at popular parks in Wa. Unless you make a reservation 6 months to a year beforehand you aren’t normally going to find many places to stay on a whim.
I stay at Mossyrock Park (TPU website) while fishing and love it there.
Have a good spotter when needed an make lists of things you need to do before and after your trips.
Maintenance on RV’s is your friend so don’t get complacent just do it.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lived in my RV off and on for about 7 years as a tramp utilities worker. Parts of WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND, TX, NV, CA, and Canada.

Always dump the black tank first.
Don't leave any food in it after you are done camping.
Get a good sewer hose.
Get a good sewer hose flusher.
Get a good black tank flush adapter.
Put a clear elbow in where the black tank dump is located.
Switch to 14 ply tires.
Carry a spare.
Repack all the wheel bearings, even if it's brand new. And adjust the brakes yourself.
If you don't have a built in brake controller, I really like the Prodigy for ease of use.
A good hitch is worth it.
Overdo any wiring you add or work on.
Upgrade now to a high amp hour Group 31 battery or two. Or three. (Odyssey, etc)
Double/triple/quadruple check all seal points on the roof, walls, and pressure test your water lines a lot.
No matter what brand of RV, assume anything you work on is going to be low bid Chicom crap, and don't be disappointed when it in fact is.
Add insulation anywhere you can add insulation.
Don't be afraid to spooge more sealant around the lights and vents and AC unit and antennas, it won't look nearly as shitty when it doesn't leak.

I stayed in places my employer(s) set up for us mostly, but many people seem to enjoy a Thousand Trails membership. Wasn't for me, really, but when I got my new Arctic Fox they threw one in, so I used it. They're not bad, actually.

Oh, and it's going to break, it's probably going to leak, and something is going to fail straight away. Always.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CQBgopher wrote:

Oh, and it's going to break, it's probably going to leak, and something is going to fail straight away. Always.

I bought it as an insurance total. One of the wheels fell off. No damage other than the 5 lug studs and the trim around the wheel well opening. It did not damage the siding or the camper AT ALL.

The owners that had it before me had a rubber roof installed. All the seams and trim/widows was released with the good white stuff. The grey and black water tanks were replaced and new dump plumbing. All the work was done nicely. I inspected it all. Floors are original and rock solid. It was very well taken care of.

All in all its a very nice camper. I was patient and got lucky. I looked at many.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
CQBgopher wrote:

I bought it as an insurance total. One of the wheels fell off. No damage other than the 5 lug studs and the trim around the wheel well opening. It did not damage the siding or the camper AT ALL.

The owners that had it before me had a rubber roof installed. All the seams and trim/widows was released with the good white stuff. The grey and black water tanks were replaced and new dump plumbing. All the work was done nicely. I inspected it all. Floors are original and rock solid. It was very well taken care of.

All in all its a very nice camper. I was patient and got lucky. I looked at many.

A K-Z Sportsman? Nice! They're a decent builder.

Halfway to that wheel bearing issue I've seen so many trailers especially out in the oil patch on the side of the road, leaning over like a gangbanger driving his Cutlass. The ones with Dexter torsion axles are pretty good but for some reason the RV industry has found the cheapest way to install leaf springs and loves to cheapen it up every year.

Oh, Camping World sucks, too.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do a lot of dry camping with a CPAP. I highly recommend switching the 12v over to a 6v. Normal use the single 12v would last about 24hrs-ish. When I switched I was able to get 3-4 days with the 6v. Not sure how many coach batteries your unit has or how much room there is to add more?

Oh, and a plus 1 on things breaking. Only difference between new or used and different brands of RV's is absolutely nothing. They all use the same parts...or they switch brand of parts halfway through production....or use surplus parts. It's actually kinda entertaining when comparing all of them.

And always store it indoors.

Well, when I looked around all I saw was a pimp with a shiny pair of shoes and a '49 Mercury!

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:33 pm

We make campground reservations 9 months in advance. Last year we started getting 2 spots, now we are getting 3 just so we dont have randoms putting their junk next to our junk.

You will be surprised how many scumbags go to nice campgrounds. We almost had to call the Sheriff when a black guy started a domestic dispute yelling at his mexican babys momma at the family camping area. Also had some teenagers break into a friends truck while they were out on the lake, the truck was within sight of the camp host.

Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]