Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Truck camper tie downs to the ground 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My neighbor up from us lost his Lance 1010 (2000 year) after November 70 mph SW winds toppled it clean off the saw horses even though he had the jacks down too.

I was fortunate because my 2019 Lance 1062 was parked on the NE side of my house so the house blocked most of the wind.

After hearing this, I went with a product called Asphalt Anchors. Each anchor is rated for 1500 lbs. With 50/50 weight on the heavy duty saw horses/jacks and these anchors, I should be good for this winter should we get some crazy 70 mph winds from the East/North East (The unprotected side) Those eye bolts can be removed when loading the camper so you have a perfectly level surface to work with.

This is just temporary until I get a 1/2 acre down below my property cleared, leveled and graveled. That will happen in the coming weeks. Next year I plan to put up a pole barn structure with 3 sides enclosed for storage of the TC and our boat.

As some of you know we live near Flathead Lake and the fall and winter winds can get quite scary.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:20 am

I would have to think the effectiveness of those would be highly dependent on the quality/condition/age of your asphalt.... But it does seem to be a much better solution than 'nothing'. Thats kinda a tuff one to solve without buried anchors or massive weights.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those should work for high winds, couldn’t hurt.
I have my 10’-6” camper on HD jack stands with 3”x4” ruff cut lumber and the jacks are raised 1/2” above the concrete blocks they rest on when raising and lowering. It takes the pressure off them and will help in the long term.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I would have to think the effectiveness of those would be highly dependent on the quality/condition/age of your asphalt.... But it does seem to be a much better solution than 'nothing'. Thats kinda a tuff one to solve without buried anchors or massive weights.

Well I'll sleep better at night when in Texas.
As I said, it's a temporary restraining in order until I can get good shelter built next year.

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
Those should work for high winds, couldn’t hurt.
I have my 10’-6” camper on HD jack stands with 3”x4” ruff cut lumber and the jacks are raised 1/2” above the concrete blocks they rest on when raising and lowering. It takes the pressure off them and will help in the long term.

:thumbsup2:
I have my jacks resting on pieces of pressure treated 2x6. Basically like you, making the footprint broader.
Ruff cut lumber on my stands too. :thumbsup2:

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Asphalt is fairly brittle.

I think I would cut some circular holes (8-10" diameter?), and fairly deep, then set some eyelets in true concrete.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Combined with the jacks and being on the sheltered side of the house, I'm sure those added anchors will be sufficient.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:54 pm

sportsdad60 wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

As I said, it's a temporary restraining in order until I can get good shelter built next year.

I'm sure you're good with your setup --- your pad is new and more than likely 'over done' by most standards. Its not too many people that think far ahead enough to even consider putting in anchors BEFORE paving.

I just think about the condition of some of my neighbors asphalt driveways here --- no way in hell any of them would hold 150# with one of those anchor bolts.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

I'm sure you're good with your setup --- your pad is new and more than likely 'over done' by most standards. Its not too many people that think far ahead enough to even consider putting in anchors BEFORE paving.

I just think about the condition of some of my neighbors asphalt driveways here --- no way in hell any of them would hold 150# with one of those anchor bolts.

I went 8" into the asphalt before hitting the grade beneath. (holes are drilled 12" deep)
Is 8" of asphalt normal for a driveway? It was laid in 2015. It's been sealed twice in 7 years.

Anyhoo, here is the Asphalt Anchor product use, I bet this german guy was a Nazi engineer back in his day.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Normal asphalt driveways would be 3 inches or less. That builder must have been planning on parking heavy stuff there.
Yeah, those anchors will hold a metric shit ton!

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Normal asphalt driveways would be 3 inches or less. That builder must have been planning on parking heavy stuff there.
Yeah, those anchors will hold a metric shit ton!

Yes, where the TC is sitting are full hook ups for RV, (sewer, 30 amp, water)
David overbuilt a lot in this house as he was a general contractor in another lifetime and built this place for himself before he sold it to us. Then he built another house in 2020-2021 just down the road for himself. He is 70 but you'd never know it, he looks younger than me.

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:28 am

hhhmmmm my huntsman camper is sitting behind the folks house right where I lived in a 28 foot travel trailer. It has sat there for a good dozen 80+ mph wind events no problem. I never though about anchors because I have it sitting low maybe a foot off the ground on blocks. Where people get into trouble is having them up so the wind can get under them..

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]