Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can you teach me how to build a retaining wall? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Morning all!

I've got a backyard that I'd like to put a retaining wall in to give a cleaner look, but there's a huge difference between thinking you know what you're doing and knowing what you're doing.

I'm looking for someone who can teach/show my teenage sons and I how to safely put together a retaining wall. I'd pay for all materials, and the three of us (2 boys and I) will be the laborers. I just need a patient person willing to direct us as we do the hard work, even if it's as simple as "do this and I'll be back later to check on your work."

I live in Bonney Lake (East of Tacoma) and would be willing to pay for your time/transport costs, and/or to teach you how to reload ammo if you want to learn.

Thanks!

Last edited by flynavylamps on Wed May 25, 2022 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 05, 2022 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More info might get you someone that has the knowledge. How high? How long? What materials?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thu May 05, 2022 7:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Denny!

Thanks for the reply.

I'm looking at a max 3' wall of gray cement blocks. It would be stepped up slowly in a U-shape, with sides doing the step up and the main wall being 3' tall.

The total length would be ~60'-70', but that includes the step ups on the sides.

If you recommend another material or building technique, I'm all ears! This project is meant to both beautify the backyard while also teaching my boys a valuable skill.

Thanks again!

Thu May 05, 2022 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.mutualmaterials.com/install ... tructions/

getting your bedding level is bigly.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu May 05, 2022 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
https://www.mutualmaterials.com/installation-guides/retaining-wall-installation-instructions/

getting your bedding level is bigly.

Properly compacted base and keyed in are the biggest things, other than drainage
A geotechnical engineer is your best friend when it comes to this stuff
Your insurance agent will advise/ require it
Just saying…..

Thu May 05, 2022 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have installed a couple thousand in my Yard, and the number 1 thing i learned after doing some in the front yard first?

Pour Concrete footings for them with rebar reinforcement. You will then have a solid, level base that will not sag or become uneven over time. Be sure and backfill behind it properly as you build it up as well.

All the concrete was just bags mixed in a wheelbarrow. You don't need to get crazy with the footing, mine are like 4" thick by 12" wide with two runs of 1/2 inch rebar suspended in the pour. I also tied them into steel T posts driven into the ground every 4-6 feet and cutoff flush with the top of the footing.

I have walls totaling over a 100 feet long and up to almost 6 feet high in the back without any sag, shift or lift from Tree roots.....The front ones that i laid on level substrate have not faired as well.

Also, if going to 3 foot or above, and it's actually a "Retaining" wall, use the large blocks, not the smaller 4x10? inch ones.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu May 05, 2022 10:26 am

Talk to your insurance people first. Depending where you are you can either use block or railroad ties. You are on the wetside so block would be better for you. Probably several of us could help. Do you have a transit or can you borrow one. As said before getting the base level is the most important thing and tedious. You will spend many hours with either a tamper or a 10 pound or larger sledge hammer getting the base flat and level.

Thu May 05, 2022 10:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3ft + needs (serious) engineering. My brother is a retired geo tech eng, ran his own decent sized business for 30 years..........I always consult with him (he still has his stamps)

Anyway IF not tied together, then at least the locking blocks for that kind of height. I second the concrete base.

Funny thing I am building a LOW (24" max) surround for our patio. My two pallets of blocks were delivered last week.

Hahhaahahahaha and my guy didn't show up today! (OK OK SHIT weather up here) :wagwoot: :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu May 05, 2022 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo,

If I dropped the wall height to two feet, think you could give me hands-on supervision? I'm happy to pay for your (And potentially your brothers) time.

Mon May 16, 2022 5:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

flynavylamps wrote:
Pablo,

If I dropped the wall height to two feet, think you could give me hands-on supervision? I'm happy to pay for your (And potentially your brothers) time.

Seriously for a two foot wall you don't need me. Some great DIY Videos and such. Let me send some links later. Here is the little wall I am building right now. Pretty busy and sick of my own projects currently....haha need a break after over a year of working on this house.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 16, 2022 6:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are tons and vids and info out there. You can do it.

Good point for you - multiple low walls: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/buildi ... ing-walls/

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/bui ... ning-wall/

Mon May 16, 2022 7:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo, do those blocks not have the lip on the back end of the bottom to hold them in place?...and why did you alternate direction (Smooth back to finished face) on that bottom run?
Does both sides have the same surface? (Hard to tell from the pics)

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 16, 2022 8:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Pablo, do those blocks not have the lip on the back end of the bottom to hold them in place?...and why did you alternate direction (Smooth back to finished face) on that bottom run?

These have no lip. Max would be six high with glued on cap. My max is 5.

Short and long sides are both are textured, not smooth. Alternate for looks.

These blocks have one flat (bottom or top)

Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Ah, i'm used to the one's with the long side as the finished face. I like the look of them. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 16, 2022 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Pablo wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Ah, i'm used to the one's with the long side as the finished face. I like the look of them. :thumbsup2:

Beltis 4 in. x 11 in. x 6 in. Tan Charcoal Concrete Retaining Wall Block

Mon May 16, 2022 8:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next