Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Diesel vs propane heaters? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bit the bullet, in no small part to Lane End's donation.

Attachment:
Screenshot_20211016-152052_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I sent LaneEnd an analyzing, desulfating charger, to help him keep the batteries he is keeping maintained, and recover any new ones he might get so he can use them.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an Espar Diesel heater in my van. I've been told that an insulated @R5 van of 90 sq.ft. will burn about a gallon of diesel a day on a 20°F day, so these heaters are sippers. They don't use much electrical power at all, only when igniting and once lit, will raise and lower the fan to maintain temperature. The cheap Chinese $150 versions should have similar controls. I kicked on on today, while working inside the van. Nice dry, well moderated heat.

The other big point, which you already mentioned is the moisture issue with a propane heater, unless you go for the higher end units that vent outside, but they are $6-800.

Jack

EDIT: Oops, too late, but diesel was the right choice.

Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why is a wood stove a problem? I have a free horse trailer that the fiancee and i are converting into a camper this summer. I was figuring on a rocket stove kind of a thing, and i was tossing around throwing a water jacket around it so i can get a more even transfer of heat(when burning let it thermal-siphon) . I'm not going off of anyone's plans or ideas, just the first thing that came to my mind.

The simplest solution would be a pony keg wood stove inside a water filled stainless keg jacket, a little bulky compaired to what i was going to do, but you could pipe that heat all over, and aside from some stainless welds it is pretty simple to build.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
Why is a wood stove a problem?

Fuel supply. Burn time.

1 lb wood = 7,870 BTU

1lb propane = 21,500 BTU

1lb diesel = 19,857

1 gallon diesel = 7 lbs. = 139K BTU (139K/7=19,857)

So, you need 2-3x more wood, per lb, than other fuels.

Also, diesel heaters and catalytic propane heaters are insanely efficient in terms of how much fuel goes to producing heat.

Wood burning stoves are pretty inefficient and you lose a ton of heat through the chimney.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve never heard of diesel heaters exploding.
Just saying…

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
I'm not going off of anyone's plans or ideas, just the first thing that came to my mind….

Going off the first thing that comes to your mind is not the best way to make decisions, especially if someone else is counting on you…

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:29 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWGunner wrote:
shaggy wrote:
I'm not going off of anyone's plans or ideas, just the first thing that came to my mind….

Going off the first thing that comes to your mind is not the best way to make decisions, especially if someone else is counting on you…

It it’s just him and his wife, tinkering with a horse trailer conversion.

Amazing innovations are bred from people looking outside the box and trying things out.

Don’t listen to the hate shaggy…. You do you.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

surevaliance wrote:
I’ve never heard of diesel heaters exploding.
Just saying…

Never had a propane heater explode on me. Are there stats on this?

We have propane (and a heat pump) HVAC FWIW, the energy density is great IMHO. Really clean.

Diesel is a bit messier, just as a point. Both - as a liquid, and mostly oxidized in combustion.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
shaggy wrote:

Amazing innovations are bred from people looking outside the box and trying things out.

That was hate?

Wow.

Was just suggesting a little research wouldn’t hurt, especially if someone is counting on you out alone in the cold…

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
shaggy wrote:

That was hate?

Wow.

Was just suggesting a little research wouldn’t hurt, especially if someone is counting on you out alone in the cold…

It's good advice from both of you, I havent bent the first nail on this yet, just spitballing which is why i was asking. I hadn't considered weight of fuel, i like being able to scavenge fuel also wood will never fail on you.

Oh also, i'm a toolmaker, worked on $1m+ street rods and have a pretty wide set of fabrication and engineering experience, so it i'm taking on my project with good knowledge of how to design and build stuff

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

shaggy wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
shaggy wrote:

That was hate?

Wow.

It's good advice from both of you, I havent bent the first nail on this yet, just spitballing which is why i was asking. I hadn't considered weight of fuel, i like being able to scavenge fuel also wood will never fail on you.

Oh also, i'm a toolmaker, worked on $1m+ street rods and have a pretty wide set of fabrication and engineering experience, so it i'm taking on my project with good knowledge of how to design and build stuff

Awesome, good luck :thumbsup2:

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
shaggy wrote:

1 lb wood = 7,870 BTU FREE!!

1lb propane = 21,500 BTU $0.75 lb

1lb diesel = 19,857 $0.60 lb

Wood burning stoves are pretty inefficient and you lose a ton of heat through the chimney.

So what your saying is that a wood stove is MANY times more efficient on your WALLET.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're planning to live in the woods... Get a wood stove...

They do make wood pellet stoves with automatic hoppers if you want to go all night without having to stoke it...

The problem with wood stoves in small spaces is multi-fold.

The stove either has to be small, in which case you won't have enough space to keep a long burning log... or it's too large, and will burn you out of your space...

If you think of a buddy heater... which puts out 9K BTU on high.....a 20lb propane tank, FULL, weighs about 37 lbs..and fits in an area of... what, 12x16?

So, we know that propane is 21,500 BTU per lb, and * 20 lb (It's actually around 4.75 gallons) = ~430,000 BTU

So, on high....which I've used to heat an uninsulated box that was 20x8x7.... that means you'll get (430,000 / 9,000) 47.777~ hours....and on low, which I wanna say is 3K BTU.... = ~143 hours

So, on low, I have enough fuel to run heat for about 6 days. How much space would 6 days of wood take up?

You can make a small wood stove out of an ammo can, for emergencies... which is what I plan to do.... :D

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
shaggy wrote:

1 lb wood = 7,870 BTU FREE!!

1lb propane = 21,500 BTU $0.75 lb

1lb diesel = 19,857 $0.60 lb

So what your saying is that a wood stove is MANY times more efficient on your WALLET.

Sweat equity.

You're still paying for it... just with your body..

Thomas Paine wrote:

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:

Sweat equity.

You're still paying for it... just with your body..

An old timer once told me, wood heats you twice, once when you cut it and the second time when you burn it

Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next