Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Nail down hardwoods a DIY job? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming, I have tools and skills, is installing nail-down hardwood flooring a DIY job? I would actually be just installing it in the kitchen- the rest of the house is already done in 3/4 red oak.

Not to be an ass, but I do not want to hear about vinyl or engineered wood products. I want real wood.

Thanks

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could probably install it ok. But sanding is trickier and, an acquired skill that gets better with more time behind the machine.

Unless you wish to become a flooring installer, why not pay a good installer - like Sinus - and go do what you do best (your career) to pay for it?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oxblood wrote:
Assuming, I have tools and skills, is installing nail-down hardwood flooring a DIY job?

Yes it is.

Is it a DIY job for you?
If your standards are higher than your skill level, then probably not.
If your skill level is higher then your standards, then go for it.

Im always prouder of a "job well done", than of a "check well signed". :wink05:

Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

If your standards are higher than your skill level, then probably not.
If your skill level is higher then your standards, then go for it.

The real question is, are you married?

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

REAL wood in the kitchen sucks. I would never do it again after 15+ years.

But you don't want to hear that. Sorry.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus still around here? He would be able to give you answers even if you don't wanna know

Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wood is fine in the kitchen IF you wipe up spills immediately and resign yourself to the fact that kitchen utensils are hard and often pointy and will leave the occasional mark.

My last house: 25 years -no issues.

also: replace your dishwasher supply hose if it's the fexable braided kind. Maybe get one of the leak alarms, too.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a Kitchen, do Tile and save yourself some headaches. Tile is easy to lay too. Harbor freight for a Tile saw and you are good.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did my whole house myself, not difficult at all, use the correct saw blade, correct gap from the walls and cabinets to allow for expansion, make sure you use the correct thickness T or L cleats as recommended by the manufacture. The the cleats are too thick, they can slit the tongue. Also make sure the wood has acclimated to the temp and humidity of the house. You will have to look up the recommended time by the manufacture. Just take your time and you will be fine if you have moderate woodworking skills.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We did our old house 15 years ago. Spend money on a quality floor nailer and saw blades. Lay it out before you cut and nail. Corners can be tricky. You’ll see every mistake you make, but 99% of the people will never notice them. Lastly, pick a wood with all “odds and ends” like bullnose and quarter round if you need that stuff. I didn’t and ended up buying raw wood and a router to make steps, which was a costly mistake (but an education).

But I agree with the earlier comments - don’t put it in the kitchen (or bathroom).

Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]