Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Flushing brake system 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone here ever do a brake flush? I’m thinking of doing mine. Unfortunately, I will be doing this by myself. The system I was contemplating making consists of a 1/4” ball check valve and hoses going to a jug. Pump the brakes to push out the old fluid while keeping the reservoir full. I’ve always had help pumping the brakes, but my wife would not be able to pump the pedal as long as I think this job would take. Any thoughts on my idea would be welcome.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:52 pm

No need for the check valve.

Just get a decent sized jug (32oz gatorade bottle), hose to go for the bleeder to the bottom of bottle. Tape the hose so it can't come out. Fill the gatorade bottle either with new fluid or with old fluid you get out of the master. Open the bleeder and as long as the hose stays at the bottom of the gatorade bottle submerged in fluid you just pump the brakes, check fluid level and top off and go till the fluid in the hose is the new fluid.

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

find a buddy with a vacuum bleeder, manual or compressor run. Draw fluid out of master cyl. refill with new and then hit each wheel.......way easier

Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a vacuum bleeder you can borrow. Works off an air compressor. I’ve had good luck with it. They aren’t too expensive. Around $35. Just don’t suck the master cylinder dry or you have to start over.

https://smile.amazon.com/ARES-70923-1-L ... NrPXRydWU=

Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
I have a vacuum bleeder you can borrow. Works off an air compressor. I’ve had good luck with it. They aren’t too expensive. Around $35. Just don’t suck the master cylinder dry or you have to start over.

https://smile.amazon.com/ARES-70923-1-L ... NrPXRydWU=

Thanks for the offer!! By the time I drive back and forth to Tacoma I can buy my own lol I’ll bite the bullet and buy one. Thanks for all the tips!!

Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have used the harbor freight brake flusher, seems to work ok for me.

Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For anyone else who sees, DIY your own one way flow with a plastic bottle and fuel line as shown in the video. No need for a second person to pump.

The end has to be submerged in fluid and there has to be section of tube that is looped above the bleeder valve to prevent air return. Only bleeder system used for the last 10 years (minus the software interface for modern ABS systems)

Best practice is to use the same DOT number as specified on your system. You can put dot 4 in a dot 3 system, but its usable life decreases. Never mix dot 5 with others and using Dot 3 in a dot 4 system will decrease the boiling point and can be dangerous.

Dot 4 has a higher boiling point than dot 3. Dot 4 is more hydrophilic, so it will absorb water more quickly (BP will decrease) than dot 3.

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]