Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 75  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried my hand on a forced patina on a couple of my Mora knives.

Went with a Cider Vinegar base, then a Mustard Stripe pattern.

Still need to keep them oiled, but not as much as before.

Attachment:
20200306_222233.jpg

Came out not terrible, if I do say so myself...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Those look good! I haven’t seen that process before.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:41 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Pretty sweet treatment.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also worked on a knife sheath today.

Attachment:
20200303_060610.jpg

Attachment:
20200303_060654.jpg

Then added a nice antique mahogany stain:

Attachment:
20200307_163346.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_163315.jpg

It was a good day... :bigsmile:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Really nice finish in the knife. Can you describe the high points of the process?

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sparky D wrote:

Attachment:
20200303_060610.jpg

Attachment:
20200303_060654.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_163346.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_163315.jpg

Nice work. :thumbsup2:

Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
Really nice finish in the knife. Can you describe the high points of the process?

Here's what I did:

Clean the blade with grease/oil remover.

Wrap blades in paper towels. Soak in cider vinegar and let set for at least an hour. The longer they soak, the darker they will get. I wanted a light grey base, so I did mine for about 90 minutes.

Remove the paper towels and wash the vinegar off with dish soap immediately. I made the mistake of leaving them unrinsed for a half hour and they started actually rusting. A bit of Windex helps neutralize the vinegar as well.

Once cleaned off, apply yellow mustard in the design you desire and let set a minimum of 5 hours.

Clean/scrape/wash mustard off to reveal your pattern (hopefully), then coat in light oil.

Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sparky D wrote:
Traut wrote:

Here's what I did:

Clean the blade with grease/oil remover.

Wrap blades in paper towels. Soak in cider vinegar and let set for at least an hour. The longer they soak, the darker they will get. I wanted a light grey base, so I did mine for about 90 minutes.

Remove the paper towels and wash the vinegar off with dish soap immediately. I made the mistake of leaving them unrinsed for a half hour and they started actually rusting. A bit of Windex helps neutralize the vinegar as well.

Once cleaned off, apply yellow mustard in the design you desire and let set a minimum of 5 hours.

Clean/scrape/wash mustard off to reveal your pattern (hopefully), then coat in light oil.

That's mighty interesting. I sure appreciate you posting it up. Gonna have to give it a try. Thanks!

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:14 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Sparky D wrote:

Attachment:
20200303_060610.jpg

Attachment:
20200303_060654.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_163346.jpg

Attachment:
20200307_163315.jpg

It is my belief that everyone should have a knife like this. Wood handle, leather sheath, can do 99% of tasks in the woods. Great job. I have 3 like this that are hand made.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Got tired of my dump trailer battery dying and decided to investigate. I know my truck charges my camper so I was relatively certain that my truck was OK.

I tested for continuity from the battery to the trailer plug and it was showing OK, so I moved to investigate the truck thinking that was the issue. My truck is a 2018 F350 and thinks it is super smart. It only turns on the charge relay if a trailer is connected and you hit the brakes so it makes it tough to test without building a test harness. I checked and checked and finally dawned on me that I have 2 7way receptacles- one in the bed found the camper and one at the bumper. I checked for voltage at the bed and got 14.3. Wtf?? Why isn't it charging then?!?

I decided to tear apart the plug itself on the trailer and quickly found the issue...the 12v wire was corroded completely off.

I cleaned it up some and stuck a new terminal on it and now get 14.3 on the trailer battery too.

Woohoo! That initial continuity test threw me off. It must have had just enough of a connection to show continuity still but not enough to charge.

I will replace the whole thing here soon because the corrosion isn't going to stop. I need to find a waterproof one...this happened once before many years ago too.

That should keep it topped off!

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I replaced the cord on my dump trailer with something similar to this:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/etrailer/e99011.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-q_QuOm-6AIVlNdkCh1wCwNpEAQYASABEgLLDfD_BwE

The plus is molded to the cord. All the connections are in the box, which I put in the tool box that holds the pump and battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ewwwww. That’s a nasty looking connection.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm fully convinced that the trailer wiring connection industry is a racket set up by The Five Families. There's no way in 2020 it is still this pathetic for any other reason.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

RocketScott wrote:

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/etrailer/e99011.html?feed=npn&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-q_QuOm-6AIVlNdkCh1wCwNpEAQYASABEgLLDfD_BwE

The plus is molded to the cord. All the connections are in the box, which I put in the tool box that holds the pump and battery

I was looking at those. The problem with just replacing the male plug is that they aren't waterproof and it will just keep happening. One of these times it will be the brake wire that it happens to and that could be ugly....

The molded cords would make more sense. I have to see if I can find room in the box, not sure it would work.

Is the junction box waterproof? Ideally I would just mount it inside the steel channel behind the jack so I can keep my box space.

Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kgbsucka wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

I was looking at those. The problem with just replacing the male plug is that they aren't waterproof and it will just keep happening. One of these times it will be the brake wire that it happens to and that could be ugly....

The molded cords would make more sense. I have to see if I can find room in the box, not sure it would work.

Is the junction box waterproof? Ideally I would just mount it inside the steel channel behind the jack so I can keep my box space.

They say "Weatherproof". Not totally waterproof but keeps most of the water out and lets anything that gets in drain out. There are two of them on my boom truck and they work. Both are mounted to the frame

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 1120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 75  Next