Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 High Desert Cartridge Company 

After much whining and gnashing of teeth...

High Desert Cartridge Company is now open for business in Goldendale Washington.

We provide top quality ammunition in 9mm, 45 ACP, and 223/5.56 calibers in new and reloaded products.

We also sell reloading components, and offer brass processing services for those who like to reload their own. Processing services include; cleaning (wash/dry), full length case sizing, trimming, roll sizing, swaging, case mouth prep, and priming.

Our store is located in Goldendale at 915 S Columbus.

Hours of operation are Monday - Saturday 8-5, but may vary due to production needs.

Yes, this company is somewhat affiliated with Cerberus Training Group, as I'm part owner of this cartridge company, along with @ar addict

We want to be able to provide a total training package that included ammunition. If you're traveling to Cerberus Training Group, you can pre-order your ammunition and it will be on the range waiting for you when you arrive.

NRA Life Member

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:47 pm
Profile WWW

Excellent, maybe some time down the road you could offer "intro to reloading" classes.

Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:52 pm

Congratulations brother!

"We do not fight to be free; we fight because we are free"
Avraham "Ya'ir" Stern

!אחרי

Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:58 pm

1BallJay wrote:
Excellent, maybe some time down the road you could offer "intro to reloading" classes.

In the plans for this fall.

NRA Life Member

Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:40 pm
Profile WWW

Cans o' 223/5.56 a plenty...

Attachment:
607544132.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NRA Life Member

Sat May 02, 2020 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No website for orders?

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat May 02, 2020 12:40 pm

Not at this time. I don't have the staff to stop their production job to package and ship.

My ammo is available at Southridge Arms in Puyallup.

NRA Life Member

Sat May 02, 2020 5:45 pm
Profile WWW

500 rounds - 165.00

NRA Life Member

Wed May 06, 2020 11:11 am
Profile WWW

Was just asked for advice on this outfit's ammo. Had to reply that without going looking, I had zero knowledge, not even knowing the name prior to getting it in the email.

From what I gather, it was sent to her by a ladies' shooting club/class/some such that I don't know - or need to - details on. The person who forwarded it to me is a brand new gun owner - she's been doing classes and range time, which is good, but she's still new to the game, and will be the first to tell you so herself.

Unfortunately, the first thing I bashed up against during a fast look around was a youtube vid by some fellow styling himself "SLAVE41", who trashed on the 9mm version of this outfit's ammo, essentially claiming it turned his gun into a jam-o-matic, and he did so in a manner I found rather... Immature, I guess would be a good description. But in all fairness, I do have to admit that the gun *DID* appear to malfunction 12 times that we saw in the video, on what he said was 236 rounds out of a 250 round box. But to be further fair, neither the way he was shooting, his marksmanship, nor his general firearm handling impressed me all that much - I found myself thinking the old but oh-so-right "keep yer damned boogerhook off the bang switch when y'ain't tryin' to shoot!" multiple times as I watched. So I'm not sure whether to think badly of the outfit that made the video, or the outfit that made the ammo. Here's the vid, if you want to take a look: https://youtu.be/p1W2dYGFfPk Fair warning - The beginning is... Well, I won't come right out and call it lame, but if it was a horse, I'd be giving the idea of shooting it and counting it as a mercy killing some serious thought.

Buy, or no-buy? Anybody got anything to say about them, whether it be good, bad, or ugly, that I can pass on to this lady? The prices being offered sound good, especially considering the current situation. If she gets 9mm, she'd be shooting it through a near-new (less than a month, and probably still under 200 rounds so far) Glock 43x - should that gun be happy with it? I know almost nothing of Glocks in general, and 9mm at all, what with me being a wheelgun fan, so all I can do is guess.

Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Hook!

I'm associated with the ladies' class that's buying the ammo, so I'll tell you what I know.

First, that video was PAINFUL, lol. OK, you did warn me. :wink05: Good grief! Anyhow, my best takeaway from that video is that it's a new gun, a cheap gun, a new shooter, and my money says that he had never cleaned the gun at that point. So I can't take the video TOO seriously, but I will admit that he seemed to have more problems with the ammo than he'd had with previous brands. Maybe the manufacturer's grease in the gun was just getting too solid at that point, or maybe the ammo really was bad. I don't know. Or maybe he was sweating into the chamber. :ROFLMAO: So who knows.

But, I can tell you what I do know. We've had students (and ourselves) buy many thousands of rounds from High Desert this past summer, and I've been there at the range as they've blasted many of those rounds, and I've been one of those helping the students whenever they have a failure with the gun. I have seen a few (like maybe three?) what I would consider "bad rounds," but no more than I would expect with any brand of ammo, given how many are being shot.

My recommendation: Buy. Yes, the Glock will eat that stuff up, no problem.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:04 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Hook,
I'm the one who sent her the opportunity to buy the ammo. To be perfectly clear, she's under no obligation to purchase anything. I'm merely passing on a great deal that is ONLY available to our ladies.

So far the ladies have purchased 78,000 rounds of ammo from this company, and we've purchased at nearly 20,000 rounds ourselves. We use it in our own training, competitions and classes. Like MadPick said, we've been right next to them at Ladies Day at the Range while they’ve been shooting this ammo. I've not noticed anything abnormally wrong over nearly 100k rounds. Having said that, I know there was one case I've found over the past year that should've been rejected.

I've observed the QC process at the small production facility in Goldendale, WA. His machines use mechanical and optical sensors to monitor powder, primer, and cases. Every single case is gaged, and visually inspected to ensure that primers are seated, case mouths aren't split, etc.

High Desert Cartridge Company sponsors Bill Blowers of Tap Rack Tactical and provides all of his ammo, and there are a number of law enforcement agencies that purchase from them. There has been no need for slick marketing because they've been running 120% since January of this year when they started and have been oversold the whole time.

I'm buying more. But she certainly doesn't have to do so.

Hook wrote:
Was just asked for advice on this outfit's ammo. Had to reply that without going looking, I had zero knowledge, not even knowing the name prior to getting it in the email.

From what I gather, it was sent to her by a ladies' shooting club/class/some such that I don't know - or need to - details on. The person who forwarded it to me is a brand new gun owner - she's been doing classes and range time, which is good, but she's still new to the game, and will be the first to tell you so herself.

Buy, or no-buy? Anybody got anything to say about them, whether it be good, bad, or ugly, that I can pass on to this lady? The prices being offered sound good, especially considering the current situation. If she gets 9mm, she'd be shooting it through a near-new (less than a month, and probably still under 200 rounds so far) Glock 43x - should that gun be happy with it? I know almost nothing of Glocks in general, and 9mm at all, what with me being a wheelgun fan, so all I can do is guess.

Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:46 pm
Profile WWW

Cool, thanks. I'll pass this on to her. I'm absolutely neutral on it - Like I noted, I didn't even know the name of the outfit, never mind having any idea of their QC, reputation, or anything else, before she tossed me a copy of the email asking if it was something that would be a good idea.
I'm *SLIGHTLY* paranoid about reman/reloads from unknown sources, for reasons that I doubt need any explaining beyond the obvious: The idea of having a KABOOM due to a bad reload isn't one I entertain with any sort of enthusiasm! If they've been doing a good job of it, great - I can live with reloads. It was simply the fact that I'd never even heard the name of the outfit before now that had me a bit nervous. Maybe I ought to tell her to pick up a case of the .223, as well. I'm pretty well set, with roughly 3K rounds of mixed .223/5.56, and about 4K of .22LR, with a CMMG adapter to go with it, but they've only got 500 rounds of 5.56 (at gouger's price) that just came in last week - over a month after the order was placed.

I'm the "gun nut" of the bunch - hired on with them about a year ago, and me picking up a sweet little Del-Ton Echo flat-top back in March, just before the whole Covid thing hit the fan (Honestly not a panic buy - it was actually planned and saved for as a protest buy - As in "Beto and Nancy and Joe and Kamala and Inslee and the rest of their ilk don't want me to have one? All the more reason to get AT LEAST one!" - the take-possession date (thanks, I1639... grumble) just happened to coincide almost perfectly with the start of the rush) triggered an interest. Then the riots started, and the interest turned into "Holy crap! We gotta get gunned up in case the zombie hordes show up!", so I built out a trio of "Poverty Pony" stripped lowers - two for me, one for her hubby (yes, the paperwork is all perfectly kosher on all three of them - no worries there) - and she's been drooling at an AR all her own ever since! Now, I'm thinking I've created a monster :) I'm also thinking that someone just might get an AR decked out in "Hello Kitty" furniture for Xmas, if not sooner, this year. :)

Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:24 pm

I picked up 500 rounds of the 115gr 9mm ammo when I took a run the gun class with Steve this past fall. I promptly mixed it in with the remainder of new Blazer 115 grain. When I've taken the ammo to the range, I've observed a few things:
1) the CCI Blazer 115 grain runs in my Sig P320 X5 Legion w/o issues, whereas the High Desert loads appear to somehow suffer from light primer strikes ~3-5% of the time. I run the stock guide rod and recoil spring ATM. I'm basing this on the stamping on the brass -- all failures to fire have been with non-CCI-stamped cases.
2) In every case where the X5 Legion had a failure to fire, when I then put the round into my P320 XCompact, it goes bang. That gun has not had any issues with the ammo.
3) I have not observed any failures to fire with my CZ Shadow Phantom or my Sig P938.

So, it stands to reason that some more sensitive "competition" guns (such as the X5 Legion) might potentially have some issues, potentially on an individual basis. I have different recoil springs that I was going to try, but at this point I'm through those 500 rounds so I don't have enough testing material.

Also, and this is a much more limited sample size, but in the Ladies Night class that I help with (Garden Club at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club, not the one at CSF), the reload ammo had some cycling/feeding issues in one of the students' guns -- a Glock 43. Two failures across about 70 rounds or so. I don't know enough about that particular gun's cleaning and maintenance regime to draw any conclusions from this.

For me personally, I'd pick up more of that ammo if I could. It's practice ammo, and if it happens to introduce the occasional issue in specific firearms I just treat it as an opportunity to practice dealing with malfunctions.

Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:14 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]