Switch to full style
Your hunting and fishing destination!
Post a reply

Huge sturgeon caught in Detroit

Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am

Must be all the drugs that get flushed...

Huge sturgeon pulled from Detroit River among largest ever caught; over 100 years old
https://www.thenewsherald.com/news/huge-sturgeon-pulled-from-detroit-river-among-largest-ever-caught-over-100-years-old/article_6e277758-acfb-11eb-b9fe-8f16a450c7b3.html

A gigantic sturgeon, caught in the Detroit River near Grosse Ile, is being hailed as a once-in-a-lifetime catch.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the announcement on its Facebook page.

“This real life river monster was tipping the scales at 240 pounds, measuring 6 feet 10 inches long, and a girth of nearly 4 feet,” the post stated. “Caught in the Detroit River, this fish is one of the largest lake sturgeon ever recorded in the U.S.”

Re: Huge sturgeon caught in Detroit

Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm

Mmmmmmmm caviar.

Did he have to throw that back?

Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Wed May 05, 2021 4:15 pm

The biologists caught it. So ya, they threw it back. Most likely tagging and/or recording their catches for research. Thats a huge female. I can't believe they brought that into the boat.

Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 pm

Not big. A few decades ago a 1200 lb sturgeon was caught in the Colombia river. The angler took a pic with him sitting on it. looked like a great white shark in size

Wed May 05, 2021 7:39 pm

DrNoWay wrote:Not big. A few decades ago a 1200 lb sturgeon was caught in the Colombia river. The angler took a pic with him sitting on it. looked like a great white shark in size

Sure. That's true. I've caught several Sturgeon over 100lbs and 1 at 200lbs. This Sturgeon in the article is a Lake Sturgeon. Green are a different species. Same with White, etc.

Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 pm

DrNoWay wrote:Not big. A few decades ago a 1200 lb sturgeon was caught in the Colombia river. The angler took a pic with him sitting on it. looked like a great white shark in size

“ The largest sturgeon taken in recent years was an 11½-foot 900-pounder that was hauled from the Columbia near Dalles, Ore. in 1951 by a Yakima Indian.”

Is this the one you’re thinking of? I couldn’t find anything on record about any larger recorded sturgeon being brought in since the turn of the 20th century

Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Sinus211 wrote:

“ The largest sturgeon taken in recent years was an 11½-foot 900-pounder that was hauled from the Columbia near Dalles, Ore. in 1951 by a Yakima Indian.”

Is this the one you’re thinking of? I couldn’t find anything on record about any larger recorded sturgeon being brought in since the turn of the 20th century

According to some of the old timers I grew up around fishing the Columbia, its was crazy to pull a half ton Sturgeon out of the river. Of course these are fisherman..... :rofl9:
Have seen very old pics of a horse or pair pulling a rope through a block attached to a tree, pulling monster sturgeon out of the river.

Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 pm

The size of it isn't as impressive as it's age

For it to survive for 100+ years is incredible. There are not many organisms on this planet that live that long. Most of them aren't mobile

Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm

RocketScott wrote:The size of it isn't as impressive as it's age

For it to survive for 100+ years is incredible. There are not many organisms on this planet that live that long. Most of them aren't mobile

I won't believe it's 100 years old until they cut it in half and count the rings.

Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm

The part that gets me is that nasty river.

One of the most polluted in the country for all my life-and half that fishes life.

Incredible it survived at all

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 pm

I’ve caught and released dozens of gators but never did get “Hooked” on em, I hate sitting on anchor…

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:10 am

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

According to some of the old timers I grew up around fishing the Columbia, its was crazy to pull a half ton Sturgeon out of the river. Of course these are fisherman..... :rofl9:
Have seen very old pics of a horse or pair pulling a rope through a block attached to a tree, pulling monster sturgeon out of the river.

Yeah, neat article but not super impressive to PNW people. Up Lake Roosevelt way there are some folks that spend hours reeling in the big ones just to wrap their arms around and get a 15 second ride. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, but it's their free time not mine.
Post a reply