Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Huge sturgeon caught in Detroit 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must be all the drugs that get flushed...

Huge sturgeon pulled from Detroit River among largest ever caught; over 100 years old
https://www.thenewsherald.com/news/huge-sturgeon-pulled-from-detroit-river-among-largest-ever-caught-over-100-years-old/article_6e277758-acfb-11eb-b9fe-8f16a450c7b3.html

Quote:
A gigantic sturgeon, caught in the Detroit River near Grosse Ile, is being hailed as a once-in-a-lifetime catch.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service made the announcement on its Facebook page.

“This real life river monster was tipping the scales at 240 pounds, measuring 6 feet 10 inches long, and a girth of nearly 4 feet,” the post stated. “Caught in the Detroit River, this fish is one of the largest lake sturgeon ever recorded in the U.S.”

Wed May 05, 2021 9:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mmmmmmmm caviar.

Did he have to throw that back?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biologists caught it. So ya, they threw it back. Most likely tagging and/or recording their catches for research. Thats a huge female. I can't believe they brought that into the boat.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 05, 2021 4:15 pm

Not big. A few decades ago a 1200 lb sturgeon was caught in the Colombia river. The angler took a pic with him sitting on it. looked like a great white shark in size

Wed May 05, 2021 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DrNoWay wrote:
Not big. A few decades ago a 1200 lb sturgeon was caught in the Colombia river. The angler took a pic with him sitting on it. looked like a great white shark in size

Sure. That's true. I've caught several Sturgeon over 100lbs and 1 at 200lbs. This Sturgeon in the article is a Lake Sturgeon. Green are a different species. Same with White, etc.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 05, 2021 7:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

DrNoWay wrote:

“ The largest sturgeon taken in recent years was an 11½-foot 900-pounder that was hauled from the Columbia near Dalles, Ore. in 1951 by a Yakima Indian.”

Is this the one you’re thinking of? I couldn’t find anything on record about any larger recorded sturgeon being brought in since the turn of the 20th century

Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
DrNoWay wrote:

“ The largest sturgeon taken in recent years was an 11½-foot 900-pounder that was hauled from the Columbia near Dalles, Ore. in 1951 by a Yakima Indian.”

Is this the one you’re thinking of? I couldn’t find anything on record about any larger recorded sturgeon being brought in since the turn of the 20th century

According to some of the old timers I grew up around fishing the Columbia, its was crazy to pull a half ton Sturgeon out of the river. Of course these are fisherman..... :rofl9:
Have seen very old pics of a horse or pair pulling a rope through a block attached to a tree, pulling monster sturgeon out of the river.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The size of it isn't as impressive as it's age

For it to survive for 100+ years is incredible. There are not many organisms on this planet that live that long. Most of them aren't mobile

Wed May 05, 2021 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
The size of it isn't as impressive as it's age

For it to survive for 100+ years is incredible. There are not many organisms on this planet that live that long. Most of them aren't mobile

I won't believe it's 100 years old until they cut it in half and count the rings.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Wed May 05, 2021 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The part that gets me is that nasty river.

One of the most polluted in the country for all my life-and half that fishes life.

Incredible it survived at all

Thu May 13, 2021 5:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve caught and released dozens of gators but never did get “Hooked” on em, I hate sitting on anchor…

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:
DrNoWay wrote:

According to some of the old timers I grew up around fishing the Columbia, its was crazy to pull a half ton Sturgeon out of the river. Of course these are fisherman..... :rofl9:
Have seen very old pics of a horse or pair pulling a rope through a block attached to a tree, pulling monster sturgeon out of the river.

Yeah, neat article but not super impressive to PNW people. Up Lake Roosevelt way there are some folks that spend hours reeling in the big ones just to wrap their arms around and get a 15 second ride. I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze, but it's their free time not mine.

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]