Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 The Packmule officially became a hunter 

My son finally went through all the hunter's ed and got his card. Today I drove him and his bow up to Sportsman's warehouse to get his deer tag, up the poundage on his Diamond infinite edge to 55lbs, some new arrows with rage broadheads, and a case so his bow doesn't get jacked up riding in the bed of the pickup. $200 later and now I got to find a good spot to do late deer archery with him. I'm thinking of a coastal trip but I don't know yet I got a few weeks, but next year, time permitting, he wants to do rifle now that he completed his training.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Raising kids right, what’s this world coming to? icon_eek

Good for y’all :thumbsup2:

Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
My son finally went through all the hunter's ed and got his card. Today I drove him and his bow up to Sportsman's warehouse to get his deer tag, up the poundage on his Diamond infinite edge to 55lbs, some new arrows with rage broadheads, and a case so his bow doesn't get jacked up riding in the bed of the pickup. $200 later and now I got to find a good spot to do late deer archery with him. I'm thinking of a coastal trip but I don't know yet I got a few weeks, but next year, time permitting, he wants to do rifle now that he completed his training.

Good job young man!
How does he like that Bow? I was looking to buy one but they weren't in stock when I went to sportsman's in FW.
I ended up buying the Elite Ember, but I am still curious about that Bow.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spend the rest of this season teaching him how to stalk (slow and quiet is optimal) that will be his best chance for success.
Good on ya for getting him involved. :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:

Be sure to shoot those broad heads before you hit the woods. Arrows fly completely different with broad heads vs target points, even if they weigh the same. Put some targets in front of a sand pile and shoot the same broadhead-tipped arrow over and over. Adjust sights accordingly. If the arrow flies weird or goes in at an angle, you will have to re-tune your bow.

Then put that arrow in the garage and grab some fresh arrows and go hunting

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:15 pm

usrifle wrote:
Ace wrote:

Good job young man!
How does he like that Bow? I was looking to buy one but they weren't in stock when I went to sportsman's in FW.

I bought that for him when he was 9 with the ulterior motive that if my bow ever went down I would use his as a backup. he started at the lowest poundage and draw length of 20 inches and last year I upped it to 40lbs for him and 29inch draw length. Now at 14 he's pulling 55lbs comfortably. I shot his bow today and the only thing I don't like about it is the sights aren't like my Outlaws with the 4 pins, on the edge he's got a smaller set and only 3 pins. It can go up to 75 lbs and 30" draw length so he can still grow with it until he gets a better job and buys his own bow. But they go for about 300 bucks and for the money you get a decent bow that can grow with the kid.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
usrifle wrote:
Ace wrote:

Good job young man!

I bought that for him when he was 9 with the ulterior motive that if my bow ever went down I would use his as a backup. he started at the lowest poundage and draw length of 20 inches and last year I upped it to 40lbs for him and 29inch draw length. Now at 14 he's pulling 55lbs comfortably. I shot his bow today and the only thing I don't like about it is the sights aren't like my Outlaws with the 4 pins, on the edge he's got a smaller set and only 3 pins. It can go up to 75 lbs and 30" draw length so he can still grow with it until he gets a better job and buys his own bow. But they go for about 300 bucks and for the money you get a decent bow that can grow with the kid.

Nice! I know with the adjustibility and draw weight range it's targeted towards younger shooters, but it also fits in he bill for a new Archer or guys like me who will only backyard target shoot too.
I bought the Elite Ember like I said, very similar adjustments for younger or new shooters.
Wifey might want a backyard now too, so I appreciate the first-hand review.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:29 pm

One thing I do like about Archery hunting and the the hobby in general right now is that I can walk into a Sportsman's warehouse or Sportco and not have to worry about ammo shortages or empty shelves in the Archery dept LOL.

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
One thing I do like about Archery hunting and the the hobby in general right now is that I can walk into a Sportsman's warehouse or Sportco and not have to worry about ammo shortages or empty shelves in the Archery dept LOL.

Yep, all you need is lots of money! :bigsmile:

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:

When I went to buy a bow at Sportsman's it was Archery season, so the Diamond how's were gone. Quite a few accessories weren't available either, but my bow was a package with sight, stabilizer, quiver etc.
I bought the Sportsman's brand 400 spine arrows and the Bow tech set everything up to me.
Tuned the Bow, cut my Arrows etc.
It was a good experience.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice. Hopefully we’ll see an update to this thread with a successful hunt. thumbsup

And good thread title ... hehe. I was wondering WTH I was going to find in here.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:51 am

Yeah I didn't find any diamond Infinite edges there either, but the one in South Hill yesterday did have a Edge SB-1 which is their improved version for $399. I do like that one too since it's one they tout as anybody can adjust the draw weight and the draw length without a bow press. That might be my next bow in a few years if I decide to stay with Diamond. As For accessories they were closing out some NAP expandable broad heads for $22 bucks, if I didn't prefer Rage I would have been all over that. The only thing I don't like about the situation right now is that they tore out the bow counter and they have all the bow guys over at the gun counter to handle the traffic over there so sometimes there is a wait to the service.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good deal, very right on many levels.

Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:17 am

MadPick wrote:
Nice. Hopefully we’ll see an update to this thread with a successful hunt. thumbsup

And good thread title ... hehe. I was wondering WTH I was going to find in here.

I called him my Packmule because he wanted to go so bad at a young age I had him just carry my Binocs and Range finder when we went out hunting, as he got bigger I just kept throwing stuff in his bag so the name just stuck.

Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]