Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Admin
Site Admin

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Shit like this is why I get such analysis paralysis. I live and die by "buy once, cry once".

In the world of pellet grills, I don't think "buy once, cry once" is going to work, because the technology is changing so quickly. There will be a better grill coming out next week, every week.

I think the best you can do is "buy a good one every few years" if you want to stay near the top of the game.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:32 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't recall ever cooking a pork loin, but this week's $1.79/lb sale at Safeway convinced me that this was the right time to try. :bigsmile:

I bought two, 4.3 pounds each. I dry-brined them with salt for a day, trussed them up, jammed a bunch of frozen garlic cloves into one of them, then put a different rub on each. I put them in the smoker at 160 for about an hour, then turned it up to 275 for another couple of hours until they hit an internal temperature of 142.

I also made a mustard-based BBQ sauce (courtesy of Chef Billy Parisi); I slathered some of that on the loins as they were approaching the end of the cook, and had some while eating as well.

The loins and the BBQ sauce after they were done:

And some slices of the garlic-studded one . . . yeah, I recognize that these aren't the most photogenic slices, with that little channel of gristle:

My takeaways?

- For what I did, the different rubs hardly mattered. I couldn't honestly tell the difference.
- The salt level was excellent and consistent, between the dry-brining and the rub.
- If you want a clean-eating cut of meat, with a minimum of fat or gristle or unpleasant stuff, this is it!
- I cut into the middle of the first one and ate a slide. Yummy! Moist and tender! Then I cut a slice off the end of the second one . . . MUCH drier, MUCH tougher. Middle slices from that second loin were very good; the difference is that the end piece was more well-done. So yeah, that finishing temp of ~145 degrees makes a huge difference!

I'm very happy with how they turned out. Is shoving a slice of this into your mouth as satisfying as a piece of brisket? Not even close. But they were still very good, and a hell of a deal at $1.79/lb.

P.S. The garlic was cooked, but not cooked enough to be soft like roasted garlic. It was interesting to have in there, but it didn't really add anything other than visual interest, in my opinion.

P.P.S. The BBQ sauce was interesting, but not worth it. Basically a thick honey mustard dressing.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:50 pm

The thing to do - as my BiL does - is to smoke it low and slow to the bottom side of rare and then slice it and fry it on the flattop with some sauce..... thats the way to do loins/tenderloins.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are some fat cloves. Next time chop them in half or quarters. Should help.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks good Steve, and a fun experiment. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
The thing to do - as my BiL does - is to smoke it low and slow to the bottom side of rare and then slice it and fry it on the flattop with some sauce..... thats the way to do loins/tenderloins.

That's an interesting way to do a Pork Loin, but certainly not the end all for them. Pork Loin is actually pretty boring, You really need to introduce some big flavors to it to make it "Pop"

I will be doing one tomorrow, it will be a Hawaiin Pineapple Pork loin done in the oven. Pineapple rings inserted into slices in the Loin, smothered in BBQ sauce mixed with Pineapple juice, Red Onions, Fresh garlic, Red Pepper and dijon Mustard.

We'll see how it turns out, but it should definitely "Pop".

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:59 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

stompah wrote:
Those are some fat cloves. Next time chop them in half or quarters. Should help.

Agreed. And I knew that when I started, but I was using frozen cloves and I didn't want to wait. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

brisket...............

Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Let's talk about brisket leftovers.

Yesterday I smoked a brisket for dinner. Select, $2.99/lb at Chef'Store, foil boat method. Yes, it was good.

Typically I'll leave my leftovers in large chunks, unsliced. Then as I want to eat them, I slice and either microwave or heat in a frying pan. Leftovers are always good, but never the same as the original meal.

Yesterday I tried something different. I sliced up the entire brisket, divided the leftovers into Ziploc bags, then poured all of the fat and juices from the foil into the bags -- all of it. Yes, there was quite a lot.

One bag I put into the fridge to eat tonight. Once it chilled, it looked frickin' awful -- the tallow in the bag had solidified and turned white, and at first glance it didn't look very appetizing. I put it into the Instant Pot on sous vide setting (150 degrees) for a couple of hours, and when it was dinnertime it looked a whole lot better!

I reached into the bag with a gloved hand and just pulled out as much meat as I wanted, and set it on the plate. That meat was just dripping with warm tallow, just like it does when you have a fresh brisket. Yeah, it was damned near as good tonight as it was last night.

I think I've found my new way to treat brisket leftovers. If you don't have a sous vide setup, you could just put the Ziploc bag into some simmering water for a little bit to heat it up.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Made some beef back ribs from Costco for the Super Bowl. Came out ok.

The rub I used was a bit salty. And the instructions I used from someone else was 3 hours smoking then 1 hour wrapped till it hits 200. I checked the temp at 3 hours and they were at 200 so I left them in a warm oven. They had some good bark, a bit crunchy in a few spots. The ribs weren't dry tho.

Next time I will try 2 hours smoking then 1 hour wrapped.

As I'm also tempted to use these ribs to make a few other dishes. I'll post up when I do.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those look good! :thumbsup2:

Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:02 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stompah, those look good!

Beef back ribs generally don't have a whole lot of meat on them, which is why they're fairly cheap. The meat that they do have, though, is very good.

Once you wrap them, your target should be for them to be "probe tender" -- when you stick the thermometer probe in there, it should slide easily in and out of the meat. Look for it to be probe tender, not for it to be at a particular temperature. That temperature will probably be a little over 200 (maybe 203-208, somewhere in there?), but go be feel and not by temp. Once it's probe tender, you're done -- let them rest, either at room temp or in a warm oven if you want to hold them longer.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks NWG & MP. They were good. Glad I got up when I did. I was probably a few minutes away from the meat starting to dry out.

Too bad I don't need to make a Costco run for a few weeks.

Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I want smoked food like ribs,pulled pork,brisket,chicken and I don't feel like pulling out the smoker I go to a BBQ truck in Yelm called Steele Barrel BBQ. I don't do BBQ places because they just are not that good but this place is good.....they even have cinnamon rolls and pulled pork tacos.

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

codfather wrote:
When I want smoked food like ribs,pulled pork,brisket,chicken and I don't feel like pulling out the smoker I go to a BBQ truck in Yelm called Steele Barrel BBQ. I don't do BBQ places because they just are not that good but this place is good.....they even have cinnamon rolls and pulled pork tacos.

GOD damn $17. -12. clams for a sammach

Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 137  Next