Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh I get that JMB, but they left out a whole lot of grills with electronic features equal or better than the four they compared.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:37 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, I'll concede that this isn't a "smoking" post. But it is a "smoker" post, since I used my Recteq Bullseye. :bigsmile:

I cooked a couple of strip steaks tonight, and tried something different. Rather than doing my usual reverse sear, I just did them hot and fast. I removed the heat deflector plate that's normally in the Bullseye, so I was looking straight down into the fire pot, and then turned it to "Riot" mode and put the steaks on once it hit 600-ish.

I think I did a pretty good job, they had a good crust and the inside was pretty good, too. Not perfect like it would be with a reverse sear, but still good.

It did take longer than I thought it would, but no biggie. It was kind of fun to be cooking right on the fire . . . yeah, I know you charcoal and gas guys do that all the time, but I don't. :bigsmile:

P.S. Those yellow streaks in the pic are flying sparks.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!

More recent “theory” on cooking steaks hot & fast like that has been to turn frequently.

Not skinny steaks, but thicker ones of good quality.

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-food-la ... er-results

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:06 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

NWGunner wrote:
More recent “theory” on cooking steaks hot & fast like that has been to turn frequently.

Yup. These were maybe 1.25" thick, and I kept flipping them. The inside was fairly evenly cooked, with a little gray around the edges but not too bad. Certainly not wall-to-wall medium rare, though, like you get with sous vide or a reverse sear.

But hey, fire met meat, so I figured that usrifle would approve. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Definitely!

I tend to Sous Vide mostly, just because I like the flexibility, and it lets me relax as I make more creative sides.

Follow that by reverse sear.

If I do it the way you did, I get to hear the wifey talk about how “it’s good, just not as tender”…

I tell her maybe this cow had a rough life…

Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

Yup. These were maybe 1.25" thick, and I kept flipping them. The inside was fairly evenly cooked, with a little gray around the edges but not too bad. Certainly not wall-to-wall medium rare, though, like you get with sous vide or a reverse sear.

Interesting. I always thought you and USRifle had more of meat met meat thing going on.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
MadPick wrote:
NWGunner wrote:

Interesting. I always thought you and USRifle had more of meat met meat thing going on.

Nothing wrong with a little Rib bone jousting by the Smoker. The Women just make us keep the sword play outside.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Good discussion and head-to-head cook off for a couple of pellet smokers. Good info.

Good to see the lower cost GMG coming in second. It would interesting to get some of the more main stream/cheaper units in the mix too. Sadly they didn't have the LoneStar pellet smoker in there too ---- I've heard lots of good things about that unit on line too.

The results of that scare me that better smoking results from a pellet grill don't come from technique but replacing my smoker with another $1000 device.

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:55 am

I wouldn't stress it too much..... as they stated, ALL the ribs turned out great -- as good or better than most bbq joints. The reality is is that you would probably never know the difference unless you did a side-by-side comparison like that. But it is good info if you are picking out a new unit.

I didn't realize how important the control algorithms are for the flavor until I saw some reviews of the LoneStar unit and they actually said that they intentionally have a temp swing to improve the smoke flavor. It also helped to clarify how the 'smoke settings' on some of the units work --- they just open up the dead band for the the feed control.

If you are really chasing flavor - I would bet you'd find a much bigger difference between a pellet grill and an offset or a charcoal smoker...... I know when I picked up my WSM from the guy who just 'upgraded' to a Campchef pellet --- he said that the CC paled in flavor compared to the WSM --- but the convenience of it was worth the the switch for him..... So it all comes down to what you are willing to do for good flavor.

We'll have to wait for Kyle to chime in once he gets around to running his pellet grill and his WSM ---- its been waaaay to long to not hear what he thinks of it.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having owned Charcoal Smoker's, (vertical and offset) Pellet Smoker's (Camp Chef) and offset stick burners here's my rankings for smoke flavor.

1) Stick burner. A lot of baby sitting and getting it tuned though. Plus needing seasoned fruit wood on hand.

2) Pellet and Charcoal about equal in my opinion, but pellet wins hands down for convenience and the ability to hold temps precisely.

3) Electric or Gas with Smoke tubes and such. Gas is convenient and you can "hold" temps pretty well once you get it figured out.... and Smoke tubes do work.

In then end of you like whats coming off your Smoker/Grill, that's what really matters.

I'm old and lazy now, so the Pellet grill it is. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I do have a few smokers. Haven't used my offset stick burn in quite a while though. So far, I would put anything above that for flavor.
Comparing different types of smokers in an apple to apples comparison is difficult for me. To me, they are application specific. Based just on flavor, I would put my WSM below my offset, just so. Comparable, but different mainly as its lump charcoal vs wood.
I do love my Camp Chef pellet, but it is a whole different piece of equipment than the other ones. To me, a guy needs a pellet grill for sheer convenience(really just laziness), and some other real smoker like a WSM, Offset, or even a Cabinet.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you mean wouldn't in this sentence?

"So far, I would put anything above that for flavor."

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Did you mean wouldn't in this sentence?

"So far, I would put anything above that for flavor."

Yes!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
OK, I'll concede that this isn't a "smoking" post. But it is a "smoker" post, since I used my Recteq Bullseye. :bigsmile:

I cooked a couple of strip steaks tonight, and tried something different. Rather than doing my usual reverse sear, I just did them hot and fast. I removed the heat deflector plate that's normally in the Bullseye, so I was looking straight down into the fire pot, and then turned it to "Riot" mode and put the steaks on once it hit 600-ish.

I think I did a pretty good job, they had a good crust and the inside was pretty good, too. Not perfect like it would be with a reverse sear, but still good.

It did take longer than I thought it would, but no biggie. It was kind of fun to be cooking right on the fire . . . yeah, I know you charcoal and gas guys do that all the time, but I don't. :bigsmile:

P.S. Those yellow streaks in the pic are flying sparks.

TLDR: “Tonight I barbecued steaks. They were good.”

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:10 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sinus211 wrote:
TLDR: “Tonight I barbecued steaks. They were good.”

Yeah, pretty much. The interesting part (to me) was the removal of the heat deflector and cooking directly over the open flame. That ain't how it's supposed to work. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2049 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 137  Next