Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 

Another good head-to-head smoke off of six different pellets....
Surprising results at the end.....

Spoiler: show
I haven't done a brisket with plum yet, but I'm totally on board with Jeremy and Eric saying it was the best flavor! Its fantastic on pork, turkey and chicken!

Maybe..... just maybe,,,, John would try that once he gets around to trying the pecan..... Maybe sometime in 2023.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Smoked stuffed meatloaf. Simple but delicious!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely Done! :thumbsup2:

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Another good head-to-head smoke off of six different pellets....
Surprising results at the end.....

Spoiler: show
I haven't done a brisket with plum yet, but I'm totally on board with Jeremy and Eric saying it was the best flavor! Its fantastic on pork, turkey and chicken!

Maybe..... just maybe,,,, John would try that once he gets around to trying the pecan..... Maybe sometime in 2023.....

bought some knotty wood based on that video.

Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:13 pm

I bet you are going to love the plum thumbsup I'm still working down some chicken I smoked last sunday with plum on the WSM - smoked one for the neighbors too - two 6.5#ers - mini turkeys --- Fantastic!!! Its making the BEST chicken sammys I've ever had! I had to apologize to the neighbors for making the chicken 'too damn juicy'.... told them I'd try to make it drier next time :bigsmile:

I REALLY want to try some of the Knotty Wood almond..... I've seen reviews that say its just as good or better than the plum!!!!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lumber Jack for the WIN

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So update, I ran with some Knotty Wood plum I purchased. I'm very excited about a quality pellet that I can easily get from Home Depot it did not disappoint.

I cooked a 10lb Brisket flat from Colorado Craft Beef, Salt, pepper, and a little bit of Lawery's seasoning salt

225f with water pan underneath for 10 hours until it reached 155f. I rendered the beef fat trimings in an air fryer, wrapped it up in butcher paper with beef fat, and cooked it till 195-203. Rest for 1 hour.

end result is one of the best briskets I have made. Juiciness is probably all on quality of meat and technique, but the smoke flavor was great. The wood was weird, because it burns super clean with very little white smoke which makes you suspicious if this will generate the flavor, but what you get is a strong, intense but clean smoke flavor that is lacking much of the carbonized char associated with charcoal smoke, instead you get something that is almost perfumed with wood oils.

I'm going to keep playing around with it, but if the quality of this keeps up, I might just switch to it entirely because it's producing a product that doesn't need any excuses of "good for a pellet grill" it's just straight good.

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:21 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Holy crap, bubblewhip comes out swinging! icon_eek

Thanks for the great description of the technique! That looks phenomenal.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
So update, I ran with some Knotty Wood plum I purchased. I'm very excited about a quality pellet that I can easily get from Home Depot it did not disappoint.

Thanks want to try Knotty Wood. Getting low on pellets. Will swing by HD soon even though they had a mention in the PO thread.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When JMB sobers up and see's the Plum wood post, he's going to be beside himself! :ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
When JMB sobers up and see's the Plum wood post, he's going to be beside himself! :ROFLMAO:

:bow: icon_eek :wagwoot:
Hahahahahahahaha shit I thought the same thing!!

:bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dusted off the Camp Chef to reverse sear some Ribeye's tonight. It's been awhile.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:10 pm

Pablo wrote:
usrifle wrote:

:bow: icon_eek :wagwoot:
Hahahahahahahaha shit I thought the same thing!!

:bigsmile:

Laff it up --- you won't be laughing after you finally get around to trying it :bigsmile: I would guess that BubbleWhip had certain hopes and/or expectations going into his cook --- probably some reservations as it was cooking --- only to blown away by the totally unexpectedly phenomenal results that exceeded all..... He's probably still thinking it was a 'fluke'..... has to be backed up by more cooks.... THEN he can say with confidence that plum smoke is (borderline or better) life changing :thumbsup2: I honestly haven't used anything BUT plum since I got my logs --- just because its THAT good. I REALLY want to do a pecan/cherry pork butt --- its been on my list for a while --- but, I just can't yet...... it was next in line before I got the plum.

Got two pork butts rubbed up last night for today.... Its going to be plum again -- but I decided I'm gonna throw some cherry in for some extra color and the helluv it.... 36 degrees out there right now --- need to go fire up the WSM.....

I should add that my neighbor did a brisket on his kamado with some of my plum wood last week and he and his wife thought it was fantastic ---- granted he said he picked up a waygu brisket, but he felt the meat wasn't really that much better - only fattier - but the flavor turned out great. He didn't even watch the vid --- 'I'm a kamado guy --- I don't need to know about pellets'......

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just checked my local Lowes and HD, they don't have the Knotty woods in stock.....or i would try that Plum.

Chef's store does have specials on Pork shoulders/butts/cushions though, maybe i should fire up today. I'm thinking Oak, but i sure couldn't go wrong with Lumberjack Competition blend. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:43 am

You have to order the Knotty Woods online from HD ---- then 'pick up from store'.....

https://www.homedepot.com/p/KNOTTY-WOOD ... 670127-_-N

Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55 ... 137  Next