Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cooking on the Woodstove 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I look forward to the cool and cold part of the year because of all that energy radiating from the woodstove. The food tastes better, and the house smells delish.
I just got done cooking up a pizza that I topped with slices of a sausage that cmica Chris gifted to us the last time he was by.

Frying foods is easy, baking is a bit more work but doable, and I still haven't found a decent way to broil from a woodstove. The campfire method with the dutch oven is barely okay...

Some pizzas benefits from a few minutes under the broiler... Has anyone found a way to broil with wood heat?

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:29 am

No, I'd fake it be searing individual ingredients before putting them on the pizza.

I've seen people sear foie gras right on a wood stove, too.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Some pizzas benefits from a few minutes under the broiler... Has anyone found a way to broil with wood heat?

With wood heat? No. But after wood heat baking...

Propane weed burner torch!

LOL Not stupid, if it works... :bigsmile:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I look forward to the cool and cold part of the year because of all that energy radiating from the woodstove. The food tastes better, and the house smells delish.
I just got done cooking up a pizza that I topped with slices of a sausage that cmica Chris gifted to us the last time he was by.

Frying foods is easy, baking is a bit more work but doable, and I still haven't found a decent way to broil from a woodstove. The campfire method with the dutch oven is barely okay...

Are you related to Rachael Ray? I thought she was the only person to use the word: "delish" Please proceed to the nearest mancard disposal unit (Oh, wait you have a wood stove. Open door insert log, and man card.) :bigsmile:

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lost power at my place for seven days about 10 years ago and was forced to cook on my old wood insert. The one I had back then had about 1' of surface are sticking out that would just fit a good sized pan.

French toast, grilled cheese, eggs-bacon, tacos you name it. What was in the fridge/freezer got cooked and we ate damn well.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

L_O_G wrote:
I lost power at my place for seven days about 10 years ago and was forced to cook on my old wood insert. The one I had back then had about 1' of surface are sticking out that would just fit a good sized pan.

French toast, grilled cheese, eggs-bacon, tacos you name it. What was in the fridge/freezer got cooked and we ate damn well.

We did the same, lost power for 7-8 days, as I remember it was about 20 degrees outside in February, so we went through a bunch of firewood that week. We made a number of things with cast iron cookware right on the top of our insert. However, we didn't do any baking. If I were to attempt that, it'd be with my Dutch oven, it's designed to have coals piled on top and I know there are lots of recipes for things like strudels and pies.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:05 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]