Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Propane and propane accessories. (Hank Hills voice) 

AR15L wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
Don't overlook a non OPD tank if you find one for free --- you can still exchange it at BR for a good tank --- only thing they reject for is severely abused tanks - dented, HEAVY rust.

That I didn't think they'd do. Thanks :bow:

If you ever get any grief about trading in, just go to another cage --- Rite Aid and QFC usually have teenagers that don't give one shit about what you are trading in as long as it is a tank....

I'm in the process of burning up a tank the neighbor gave me ~1/3 full with the weed torch --- the neighbor filled up his old tank that is non opd and without external threads only to find he couldn't connect his new grill to it --- don't know how he got a non opd tank filled. He had it sitting around for a couple of years and the valve wasn't shut completely, so it leaked out over time. Once its empty, I'll give it back to him for an extra for trade in.

From BR's website, they say the will convert the old tanks with new valves if possible --- scrap it if not worthwhile.

Its just down right silly to pay the $30 NON REFUNDABLE deposit on the tanks at the exchanges --- if you are gonna do that, buy a new one.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good day today.
Decided to go out to the Taco swap meet.
It paid off.
I saw at least six 20lb tanks for sale.
Came home with one.

It had a pretty cool factory stamp on it that said, "must be re certified every 12yrs."
The date on it was 07 08 :thumbsup2:
Best part?
$5ºº
:wagwoot:

Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Good day today.
Decided to go out to the Taco swap meet.
It paid off.
I saw at least six 20lb tanks for sale.
Came home with one.

It had a pretty cool factory stamp on it that said, "must be re certified every 12yrs."
The date on it was 07 08 :thumbsup2:
Best part?
$5ºº

BONUS!!! :thumbsup2:

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, I'm done searching for any more tanks.
I was in Bonney Lake Costco today and in the back corner they had a pallet of brand new tanks.
$25.99
Even came with a gauge on it.
Best part is the date stamp - 05/18.
Yep, this one is getting refilled while I wait. No way I'm exchanging it.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
OK, I'm done searching for any more tanks.
I was in Bonney Lake Costco today and in the back corner they had a pallet of brand new tanks.
$25.99
Even came with a gauge on it.
Best part is the date stamp - 05/18.
Yep, this one is getting refilled while I wait. No way I'm exchanging it.

That's a good deal.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I go to the local scrap yard and buy tanks for $5.00 ea. Then I take them to the local farm store where I worked and exchange them for full ones. $13.99 exchange + $5. tank = less than $20 with tax. Once empty, I then travel to the local bottle gas supply where I get refills for 68 cents a gallon. I now have about 10 of the 20lb bottles and 2 of the 100lb bottles on hand and about 30 of the 1lb bottles (that I refill at the house). One of the 100lb bottles is hooked up with my cutting torch.

As to re-certification.... Harbor freight sells the letter / number stamps should you really need to re-certify a tank. I just find it easier to exchange at that time and let those guys deal with it.

Blue Rhino has a $3.00 refund going on year round. You can download the rebate form (1 per address per year). You need the barcode off the plastic logo wrapper on the tank. (When I exchange a tank and a empty still has the bar code, I ask the attendant if I can cut it off, to which I usually get 5 or 6 of them). My shop has separate gas, water and electric - each with their own address (911 has addresses all screwed up around here), so I have 3 mail boxes for the shop that I use.

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old chevette 4 cyl engine so that I can convert it to propane and run a 16KW PTO generator I bought for emergencies. Now to find a 250 gal propane tank. I miss my all my vehicles that ran on propane right now (69 ford pick up, 75 suburban, 1980 Ford RV).

When I moved back to Kentucky I was looking at a house that was sitting on a natural gas lease, meaning you got free gas for the house, no gas meter. My plan was to order a gas pump and buy a couple of old CNG fleet vehicles ( car/pick up) and run them on the free fuel. (FYI - house and acreage sold for $139k)

Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had some time today to stop by Ferrellgas on A street in Auburn. The one next to the RR tracks.
$2.23 per gallon
$19.99 exchange (20lb tank) but they said if I exchange any in cert tank, they would give me a FULL (4.6gal) BRAND NEW tank.

Also, re certs are $15. Pretty cheap since my 30lb looks brand new, just out of it's life span though.

$2.23 x 4.6 gallons = $10.26 + tax Doesn't sound to bad.

Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wanted to point out this cool little Timer I bought off amazon. My wife left the grill on a few weeks ago after I just filled the bottle and emptied the tank. I will soon hard plumb the grill, and figured some type of shutoff timer would be smart as to not burn up all my propane again. This was a little expensive but it shuts off the gas after the timer runs out. Kinda cool and a good safety item as my grill is in an enclosed porch.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062 ... UTF8&psc=1

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:35 pm

I like that timer --- I've run a tank dry several times myself.... I trained myself to shut the tank valve first when I'm done grilling before I turn off the burners just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the idea from my toy hauler. It had a 40 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for gassing up toys. It had a safety timer in the kitchen that would only allow you to pump fuel for a few minutes. A little frustrating at times since I used it as emergency fuel at the house. But I’m sure they have saved a few lives. Those propane timers look easy to install. Mine came in the other day and I have not had a chance to hook it up yet. I’ll report back.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:14 am

I just went and got my tank filled yesterday at the RV park down the road.... $3.45/gal.... they gave me crap about my tank being out of date even tho its still with in 12 years - said 'they' go by 10 years, but filled it for me anyways.

Kinda bummed about having to exchange and find a newer (single handled) tank.... did some googling and found a link for True Value hardware ---- called up the one in Clearview (hwy 9 btwn Woodinville and Snohomish) and they said they fill for $2.19/gal!!!! They also do tank exchanges for $20 filled --- I need to check and see if they fill to 20# --- If so, much better deal than Blue Rhino -- and I think he said its a brand new tank! The guy also said that they changed the lifespan of the tanks from 12 to 10 years, so the RV park wasn't being dickish.

So.... ~$5 cheaper to go to TV, but the 20 mile round trip would burn up the savings in gas..... so my plan is to get two filled when the time comes --- that will make it worth while, or when I need to swap out a tank.

BONUS --- I was under the impression that my grill 'needed' the single handled tanks since I tried to hang a double on the gauge and it seemed problematic.... I picked up a double handled tank with the last grill -- dated '15 -- thats still 1/4-1/3 full ..... I started to think about it some... wondering how all the Webers were being used with double handles.... decide to look a little deeper... I always assumed that the tank needed to hang from one of the cutouts on the collar --- decided to try and hang the tank from one of the handles..... DAMN IT - that worked perfectly :doh1: I NEVER would've thought that the folded handle would fit in the hanger on the gauge....

Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

$3.45?!

I just had my House tank filled at $1.75, delivered. If you go to them with the 5 gallon tanks the price is $1.50/gallon currently.

American West Propane, Olympia.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:43 am
Profile WWW

I haven't located a supply company up this way yet.... I know the price shouldn't be that high.
Mclendons - 3.29
Uhaul - 3.40
Gas stations - 3.25-3.75

True Value is the cheapest I've found so far....

Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way down south in Auburn, at the Walmart gas station, they exchanged my out of date tank for a one year old full one for $16.xx OTD.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4