Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All right, this may not look like anything too special . . . but if was f'ing delicious!

It included:

1) Homemade sauce . . . the second time I've ever made it.
2) Homemade rigatoni noodles, made from semolina and water and extruded with the KitchenAid attachment.
3) Store-bought hot Italian sausage, which is a small point of shame. Next time it'll need to be homemade sausage!
4) Actual Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, just Safeway-level stuff but still better than the green shaker!

OMG. So good.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thats an odd looking cake.... Looks really good...

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

That looks outstanding! Definitely has the homemade “slightly irregular but delicious” look to it.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Tonight was Dog night on the Weber. Did the side coals method tonight. Grilled up some onion and jalapeno over the hot coals while the dogs baked on the other side. Then once the veggies were done, I swapped sides and let the dogs get a good sear going.

Got Teriyaki skewers on deck for tomorrow.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ribs

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:05 pm

Some good looking food here!

Sun May 02, 2021 4:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done gentleman. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 02, 2021 5:11 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

hadati wrote:
Ribs

Looks good! Got tips on how you do yours on the Kettle? We just got one and have done a few things so far. Ribs are on the list of things to try.

Sun May 02, 2021 8:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Made the 1st attempt at pulled pork on the Weber Kettle today. Used the "Snake" method with cherry wood for the smoke. I watched a shit load of different how to videos to get ideas and did everything different/wrong in the end.. haha. I was also missing a few things used by a bunch of the how-to vids, one being large enough foil for an easy wrap. I struggled with the wrap with puny foil, and then forgot to add any liquid/sauce at that time so I had to take it back off to re do that part. For a while I wasn't sure things were going right as it took forever for it to start to raise in temp again. It was also a bit more work than I thought trying to keep the internal temp at 250. My temps ranged from 230-270 at times. Most of the vids showed probing at 190-200 degrees with the probe going in with no resistance. Since this was my 1st I wasn't sure how it should feel. To my feel there were still some spots that were firm. I pulled it at 206 deg and decided to just see how it would turn out expecting it to be a bit messed up. I let it rest for about 1:15 or so before tearing into it. I was actually surprised that it seemed overall pretty good. I think one chunk of meat was a bit drier and tougher than the rest but some was like butter. My youngest kid is going to make us all Mac 'n Cheese tomorrow for dinner using the pork.

What should a beginner Kettle owner try next?

Sun May 02, 2021 9:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks damn good Damon, well done! I really never had much luck with the snake method, i just added more Charcoal to the burn as it went.
I stay to the offset, (all charcoal on one side) and while it requires a bit more babysitting i have found i can regulate temps better. The Butt or shoulder matters with placement on the grill, you may need to rotate it during the cook.

I like to keep the bigger end towards the coals, it cooks slower due to thickness. If it's bone in, don't get hung up on temps. 205 is the target, but when the bone starts sliding out and the probe just glides in it's done.

I know it's hard to be patient, but a good wrap and rest is a must. I like to spritz with a slurry of Apple Juice and Sweet baby Ray's during the cook, and after you pull it down i use the same for the leftovers in the glass pan so it's not dry.

Do you have a good sweet slaw recipe to top the Sammie's? A good sweet slaw is a must.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
That looks damn good Damon, well done! I really never had much luck with the snake method, i just added more Charcoal to the burn as it went.
I stay to the offset, (all charcoal on one side) and while it requires a bit more babysitting i have found i can regulate temps better. The Butt or shoulder matters with placement on the grill, you may need to rotate it during the cook.

I like to keep the bigger end towards the coals, it cooks slower due to thickness. If it's bone in, don't get hung up on temps. 205 is the target, but when the bone starts sliding out and the probe just glides in it's done.

I know it's hard to be patient, but a good wrap and rest is a must. I like to spritz with a slurry of Apple Juice and Sweet baby Ray's during the cook, and after you pull it down i use the same for the leftovers in the glass pan so it's not dry.

Do you have a good sweet slaw recipe to top the Sammie's? A good sweet slaw is a must.

Thanks for the input. How often would you add coals to your cook? I guess I was really afraid of losing all my heat so I really tried to not touch the lid. I could see though how a side coal method would also sort of avoid the heat constantly moving towards your grate level probe. What internal temp do you try to hold? I've seen anything between 225 to 275, but mostly 250 .

A key thing I was missing was the Spritz during the cook.

No on the slaw. Personally I usually hate slaws, but my family likes it...

Sun May 02, 2021 10:46 pm
Profile WWW

Nicely done guys! I'll play too...
Pork butts were finally on sale - so yesterday was a long day of smoking -- up at 6 and meat on the smoker before 7am....
I was excited to finally be able to try out my new set up for a snake burn in the WSM....
Attachment:
20210501_150334 (Medium).jpg

Attachment:
20210501_151303 (Medium).jpg

Worked out really well - nice consistent burn for a solid 8 hours hovering between 225 and 250. I don't know if I should be bummed or not, but the Kroger coal I was using would just not generate a lot of heat.... I was basically running the vents wide open the whole time.... I would have felt better knowing that the fire was throttled back to temp rather than running wide open. I was worried that they would all light and it would run away on me, but thankfully it didn't happen. Mental note for you kettle guys if you are going to do a low and slow --- the Kroger coals burn cooler but just as long as others. It was kinda a weird cook too --- the bark really didn't develop until ~the 6 hour mark - I was worried that the cool coals or different pork butt (first time getting Safeway pork) was to blame.... In the end, it all worked out good....
Attachment:
20210502_142250 (Medium).jpg

Wrapped and finished in the oven.
What made this a really special cook tho? I was able to share a nicely smoked pork with the neighbors who have not had much in the way of smoked meat :thumbsup2: They've only had real pulled pork once or twice and were excited to see the meat on the smoker and experience the smell while cooking! I gave them the wrapped butt and let them finish it and pull it down --- they were so excited and amazed at the process as I talked them thru it. Unfortunately, even with my best planning, it still was not done in time for dinner for the family, but they still snacked on it and taste tested it last night at 9:30.... but they said they are sooooo looking forward to a full meal tonight!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Mon May 03, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon May 03, 2021 7:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JMB. Whole new level. :thumbsup2: :bow: :wagwoot: WOW

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon May 03, 2021 7:57 am

Thanks! But thats just par for me :bigsmile:
Another gratuitous pic....
Attachment:
20210502_142240 (Medium).jpg

I don't know why I always feel bad about smoking just one butt on the smoker.... if I'm gonna burn half a bag of coal, I want to make the most of it, so I try to find someone that will appreciate the (minimal extra) effort.... It really doesn't take that much more time to prep two over one --- its still the same size mess in the end. I really want to load up the WSM with the lower grate for 3 or 4.... but at that point it does start to become more hassle and the logistics of pans and fridge space become an issue. But I want to find out if the lower rack meat would be better or worse being basted with the drippings from the upper rack --- I just don't know what the outcome would be - extra juicy and tasty? Or greasy and fatty with poor bark? One of these days I'll have to find out.....

This is the setup I had before for my snake....
Attachment:
20200905_075000 (Medium).jpg

It worked well, but it seemed like it needed more adjustments and had more temp swings.... thats when I realized it needed more of a consistent cross section for the coal bed --- so a fully symmetric setup was needed.
I really do like the snake burn -- it gives more confidence for a more consistent and predictable burn and smoke generation..... I've had one or two burns where the wood would flare and smoke off quickly early in the cook.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon May 03, 2021 9:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Thanks for the input. How often would you add coals to your cook? I guess I was really afraid of losing all my heat so I really tried to not touch the lid. I could see though how a side coal method would also sort of avoid the heat constantly moving towards your grate level probe. What internal temp do you try to hold? I've seen anything between 225 to 275, but mostly 250 .

A key thing I was missing was the Spritz during the cook.

No on the slaw. Personally I usually hate slaws, but my family likes it...

Temp? Anywhere from 225-275 is fine. I add unlit briquettes to the pile about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours. About 8-12 depending on the outside temps. If it's cooler you need more to maintain, warmer you need less.
You will figure out what you need to maintain temps pretty quickly Damon, you are already getting the Kettle figured out.
The grill having those little flip open sides makes this easy too. I generally just leave it open over the little indirect Briquette pile. Be sure and place the lid so the vent is opposite the briquettes too, it helps with smoke Circulation.
If you plan on using Wood chips or chunks, soak them in water for a little while before using so they last longer and don't flare up.

Here's a great website forum for all things smoking. http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/

Fun fact, i won an internet Dessert making throwdown using my Weber to bake a Pie. You can do anything with a Weber kettle.
Pictures on the Smokering here, that was all the way back in 2009!

Page 12 of this thread, same handle as i have here. http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewt ... &start=220

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159 ... 275  Next