Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 277  Next
 what did you cook today thread 

:facepalm2:Nobody warned me....... :gibbs:

I had seen many huli huli recipes saying 24-36 hour brines --- I think that is where I went off the rails --- not realizing the difference between a brine and a marinade..... there is a reason they dilute the brines down so much.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here you go, JMB . . . maybe you can relate. :ROFLMAO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X8KBX-LtAs

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Well..... cooking that chicken last night ended in a pretty big disappointment.

Everything went well as far as I could see.... smoker ran well - took a bit longer than I thought.... but I was not expecting what happened at the end..... Cooked it as usual - planned on popping it in the oven to crisp up the skin - pulled the chickens off the smoker and they were literally falling apart - after broiling for ~10 minutes, I pulled the pan out of the oven and noticed that the skin had disintegrated!!! Let it cool - went to pull a leg and the whole bird just fell apart --- lifted up the breasts and the backbone just fell apart - it didn't even move off the bottom of the pan..... Meat was 'flavorful', but incredibly mushy.... Boy --- did I fuck up.

Thinking about it last night --- the only thing I could come up with is all the acid in the pineapple juice and OJ 'ceviched' the meat during the 40 hour marinade...... Googling around this morning and sure as shit, I find "The acids and enzymes in the marinade break down tough fibers and tenderize the meat, which makes it soft and melty after it's cooked. But if you keep it in the marinade for too long, it over-tenderizes the meat so that it has no texture and falls apart when cooking." Fuuuuuck..... what a rookie mistake.....

So.... I learned something out of this experience..... Just stick with rubs when smoking --- and if you feel like you HAVE to marinade, no more than 24 hours.

I owe my neighbor a new chicken.

The meat is still edible - and as it cooled, it seemed to firm up. I'm thinking I'm gonna make a batch of chicken enchiladas and some chicken salad with whats left of mine.

Whole chicken is .99lb at Safeway right now...for the replacement JMB. Not everything goes right when you are cooking, we have all been there. :wink05:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:57 am

Thats where they came from on wednesday....

Yeah --- I held back from using the excuse 'it must have been the chicken since thats the first whole bird I've had from SW'..... I knew that wasn't the case.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

Yeah --- I held back from using the excuse 'it must have been the chicken since thats the first whole bird I've had from SW'..... I knew that wasn't the case.....

Live and learn brother, plus it's still usable. :thumbsup2: With all the successful cooks, one minor let down is no big deal. Next batch of huli huli, try grilling it. that's what the Locals do. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Oh yeah . . . pineapple will do that, it will disintegrate meat. :bigsmile:

Yep, proteases - proteolytic enzymes, papaya and pineapple enzymes work by breaking protein molecules into their constituent amino acids..............yeah I learned that when I was quite young. Entire ham ruined.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 am

Chatting with my neighbor --- he said it was still totally edible and that they have the breasts left - planning on making sammys out of it..... So I'm feeling better. He said not to worry about it - he said it sounded like a solid plan when I told him about it..... so we both learned about pineapple. We were both just happy that a FU like that was with cheap chicken instead of some pricey meat.

usrifle wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:

Live and learn brother, plus it's still usable. :thumbsup2: With all the successful cooks, one minor let down is no big deal. Next batch of huli huli, try grilling it. that's what the Locals do. :bigsmile:

My other neighbors are from Hawaii ---- I told her that I was going to smoke huli chicken..... she said 'You know...... huli means turn, don't you'..... and then proceeded to razz me by saying 'Let me know how your UNturned chicken turns out'.....

I would have grilled parts, but whole chickens go on the smoker.....

Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JB just down the road from where I used to live. other note I don't soak more than 24 hrs usually 20. Anything with pineapple 12 hrs.

watch em both... this is in kahaluu

https://www.dinersdriveinsdives.com/Mik ... Kaneohe-HI

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I spent all damned day in the kitchen, it feels like . . . .

It started at 6:30 a.m., when I put one pork butt on the smoker. Then I started a gallon of yogurt in the Instant Pot. Then I took a two-pound eye of round out of the freezer, sliced it up (on my old slicer, still waiting for the new one!), and it's now marinating for teriyaki beef jerky.

Then I cooked three pounds of ground beef with some finely-diced carrots and sweet potatoes for the dog.

Then usrifle came over, and we ground up another pork butt, made breakfast sausage out of it, and split that up. (We had to do a couple of taste tests to make sure we go the spices right, of course!)

I made a bowl of cole slaw, and put it in the fridge for a few hours.

Then about 8:30 p.m. the first pork butt was finally ready, so I pulled that, and had some soft tacos with pulled pork and cole slaw . . . which were damned good.

I'm planning to start making some breakfast sandwiches and freezing them, so I made a single "test sandwich" tonight, which is now in the freezer so I can try it tomorrow morning. This was a test run, and there is obviously some room for improvement. :ROFLMAO:

But it sucked down pretty good when I wrapped it:

I definitely have a few changes that I'll be making, though. :thumbsup2:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That Slaw looked awesome, i really wanted to try some. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the education on Meat grinding and Sausage making, (Not to mention i got to bring some home) it was time well spent! :bow: That Breakfast sammie looks delicious, i know what i'm making in the morning.

Steve? You have some Kitchen skills my friend, and i like the idea of the soft pulled Pork Taco's. I have never eaten pulled Pork that way. :thumbsup2:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

nice steve and john

steve why not get some vac pac bags and seal them, toss in in freezer when ready pop in microwave 1 min

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
steve why not get some vac pac bags and seal them, toss in in freezer when ready pop in microwave 1 min

We'll see, maybe I'll get there. I'm hoping that the plastic wrap (and then inside a Ziploc) will do it. I know it's easy enough to make a sandwich, the tricky part is making one that won't go to hell when you microwave it. And microwaving it is a requirement for me . . . I could compromise on half-power microwaving, but that's as far as I'll go. :bigsmile:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:56 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Following up on yesterday . . . .

This morning I pulled the frozen breakfast sandwich out of the freezer and microwaved it for about four minutes at 50% power. I just couldn't seem to get the center of it warmed up, and by the time I did the outside was basically molten English muffin leather. :ROFLMAO:

So today I made six more, but decided to do it a little differently. I toasted the muffins with a spray of olive oil on them, scrambled eight eggs with dried onion flakes and Tony Chachere's seasoning, then baked the eggs along with six sausage patties. The result:

I assembled the first sandwich:

And wrapped it:

So . . . my theory is that if I assemble it "inside out" like that, then which I microwave it the egg and the sausage will get hot without overcooking the muffin. Then after it's warmed up, I can flip it around to eat. Who knows, we'll see.

And yes, I realize that all of this is a giant waste of time and money, and I'd be better off just buying something from the freezer section at Safeway. :ROFLMAO:

And then I also smoked the teriyaki jerky that I put in the marinade yesterday . . . yum. Before and after:

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Following up on yesterday . . . .

This morning I pulled the frozen breakfast sandwich out of the freezer and microwaved it for about four minutes at 50% power. I just couldn't seem to get the center of it warmed up, and by the time I did the outside was basically molten English muffin leather. :ROFLMAO:

So today I made six more, but decided to do it a little differently. I toasted the muffins with a spray of olive oil on them, scrambled eight eggs with dried onion flakes and Tony Chachere's seasoning, then baked the eggs along with six sausage patties. The result:

So . . . my theory is that if I assemble it "inside out" like that, then which I microwave it the egg and the sausage will get hot without overcooking the muffin. Then after it's warmed up, I can flip it around to eat. Who knows, we'll see.

Nice! :thumbsup2:

Some thoughts…

As far as reheating, most recipes I’ve tried tend to suggest defrost/50% power for a minute, then full power for a minute or minute & a half.

Others recommended taking out of the freezer the day/night before, and letting them thaw overnight in the fridge.

One idea that just occurred to me is, how about making & freezing the proteins, and then nuking them while you toast the muffins? That way you could control the temp of the proteins, plus have the fresh taste of the muffins…

Just a thought, though obviously it’s a little less “grab & go” :bigsmile:

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:35 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yeah, I think thawing overnight is ideal, and generally I’ll do that if I can. However, I’d love to have something that is capable of being nuked from frozen if necessary, so that’s my goal.

Heating parts separately is a possibility, but not ideal. I may yet get there, though….

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 210, 211, 212, 213, 214, 215, 216 ... 277  Next