Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 274  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did the wagyu stand up to the pizza? Did it seem like it was worth putting it on there?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:48 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

acidfly wrote:
Should have put this in the what are you cooking thread, miss can you change please.

I asked you nicely not to call me that anymore...

but I did merge the threads. This time.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

MadPick wrote:
- A pile of meat to grind, once the new meat grinder gets here next week. :facepalm2:

And . . . it arrived today!

This is the second meat grinder that I've owned, other than my Harbor Freight grinder that I killed. I recognize that it's still a household model and not a super-serious grinder.

Lemme tell ya . . . right off the bat, this feels much nicer than the HF grinder. It has a nice cord stowage area in the base, it has a resettable circuit breaker, it has both low speed (sausage stuffing) and high speed (grinding), it has a reverse in case shit gets stuck in the fan, and all of the shiny metal bits just feel much larger and more heavy-duty than their HF equivalents. One nice feature is that all of the sausage stuffing attachments as well as the extra grinding plate fit inside the black stomper for storage, which compares to the HF favorably where the random pieces just bounced all over the box.

It comes with a decent manual:

I fed it some previously-frozen ribeye scraps using the coarse grinding plate:

And then, to make it fit this thread, I cooked that ground ribeye, put it into some homemade pasta sauce and then mixed that into some store-bought pasta. :bigsmile:

I'm impressed so far with this grinder. I'll have to try doing sausage sometime soon. Link in case anyone is interested:
https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/g ... ml#start=1

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:01 pm

MadPick wrote:
acidfly wrote:
Should have put this in the what are you cooking thread, miss can you change please.

I asked you nicely not to call me that anymore...

but I did merge the threads. This time.

LMAO! whoops

Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:58 pm

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Did the wagyu stand up to the pizza? Did it seem like it was worth putting it on there?

Yeah, I did a quick hot sear (salt/pepper) first then maybe 15 minutes in the oven. Pizza came out delicious. That pack a Wagyu was about $11.

Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
MadPick wrote:
- A pile of meat to grind, once the new meat grinder gets here next week. :facepalm2:

This is the second meat grinder that I've owned, other than my Harbor Freight grinder that I killed. I recognize that it's still a household model and not a super-serious grinder.

Lemme tell ya . . . right off the bat, this feels much nicer than the HF grinder. It has a nice cord stowage area in the base, it has a resettable circuit breaker, it has both low speed (sausage stuffing) and high speed (grinding), it has a reverse in case shit gets stuck in the fan, and all of the shiny metal bits just feel much larger and more heavy-duty than their HF equivalents. One nice feature is that all of the sausage stuffing attachments as well as the extra grinding plate fit inside the black stomper for storage, which compares to the HF favorably where the random pieces just bounced all over the box.

It comes with a decent manual:

I fed it some previously-frozen ribeye scraps using the coarse grinding plate:

And then, to make it fit this thread, I cooked that ground ribeye, put it into some homemade pasta sauce and then mixed that into some store-bought pasta. :bigsmile:

I'm impressed so far with this grinder. I'll have to try doing sausage sometime soon. Link in case anyone is interested:
https://www.meatyourmaker.com/process/g ... ml#start=1

Why not just get the meat grinder attachment for your kitchenaid stand mixer?

You DO have a kitchenaid stand mixer, RIGHT?!

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

TechnoWeenie wrote:

As of today . . . yes, yes I do. :bigsmile:

It's a big mfer, 8-quart with the 1.3-hp DC motor. I bought it refurbished through Amazon. Still gotta find that first recipe to make with it.

As for the meat grinder, the KA attachment is the same price as the stand-alone grinder that I bought ($100). And from everything that I've read about both grinders, it seems that the MEAT! grinder will simply be much more reliable, powerful, etc. than the KA attachment. So yeah, I knew the KA mixer was on its way, but it was a conscious choice to buy the stand-lone grinder even though I had KA attachment fever at the time.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

It's a big mfer, 8-quart with the 1.3-hp DC motor. I bought it refurbished through Amazon. Still gotta find that first recipe to make with it.

As for the meat grinder, the KA attachment is the same price as the stand-alone grinder that I bought ($100). And from everything that I've read about both grinders, it seems that the MEAT! grinder will simply be much more reliable, powerful, etc. than the KA attachment. So yeah, I knew the KA mixer was on its way, but it was a conscious choice to buy the stand-lone grinder even though I had KA attachment fever at the time.

Fun fact. They haven't changed their design in decades, and the silhouette of the mixer is so well known, that it's copyrighted.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

What the hell you got going on in the first pic of the mixer.....the BLUE thing

Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Just for Madpick...

Attachment:
chuck.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:20 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been cooking a lot of steak lately, trying to learn more about the cuts and how to prepare them. Until a few months ago, I really didn't know how to cook a steak, and the few that I attempted were pretty awful.

But . . . I've been reflecting on the fact that one of the most important changes I've made, I believe, is simply how I cut them.

I used to put a steak on my plate, then take my steak knife and start cutting chunks off of it. I'd usually cut off a corner, then rotate it a little and cut off another corner. Or maybe cut a big wide slice, then cut it into squares. In the end, it would look something like this, but worse:

And then I'd put a chunk into my mouth, and chew. And chew. And chew.

I've changed my ways now. Before a steak ever hits the plate, I figure out which way the grain is running, and slice it up on the cutting board with a good kitchen knife, against the grain. The thinner the slices, the better, so it looks something like this:

And then . . . I put some slices on the plate, from which I can pop them into my mouth and eat them without chewing and chewing and chewing.

I feel like when a steak is sliced properly, the quality of the steak becomes a whole lot less important than it otherwise would be.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those slices look tasty, but if you did the same test with a Sirloin, a NY and a Ribeye, i think you would notice the difference.
The thickness of the cut matters as well as the manner in which it was cooked, but for me nothing beats a Ribeye.

Sooo.....is there any left? I'm hungry. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:51 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I dunno, I've done sirloins, NY strips and ribeyes recently . . . honestly, I haven't been able to tell much difference.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I dunno, I've done sirloins, NY strips and ribeyes recently . . . honestly, I haven't been able to tell much difference.

Then you must be doing something right. If i can pay Sirloin price and get Ribeye results, please tell me your magic. :bow:
I could save some money, Denise is a Steak snob. :bigsmile:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:07 pm

I've been debating a grinder/stuffer myself - I've always ended up borrowing someone else's. Thanks for the link, MadPick!
As for the mixer - I use my wife's for the primary bind for sausages, and for the burger buns I made a couple of weeks back.

Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 155, 156 ... 274  Next