Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:05 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Recipe: Apple Pie (alcohol) 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

The holidays are once again upon us, and I'll be damned if I'm going through this mess of a season sober. So I've hobbled together some seasonal grog to ease the madness of the season.

Apple Pie made with Everclear:

-12 liters (4 jugs) of unfiltered Gala apple cider
-2x 1/2 gallon bottles of 190 proof everclear (available at Bevmo)
-1/2 cup dried cloves
-12 cinnamon sticks
-1 cup honey
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-2 tablespoons vanilla extract

This recipe will make approximately 14 liters of apple pie at around 47.5 proof. Half the recipe if you want to use less.

-Some tips before starting

-buy a Brita or equivalent carbon water filter for filtering the everclear
-buy your cloves and cinnamon sticks at QFC. They have a bulk spices section where you fill your own bags from large jugs and jars. Tremendous saving over buying pre-packaged
-buy a large stew pot. I got the big aluminum pot at costco for IIRC $30

Cooking the cider:

Add your unfiltered cider/cinnamon sticks/cloves to your large pot and warm over medium heat. It will take a while to get hot so I recommend using this time to filter your everclear

Filtering the Everclear:

While your cider is heating up filter the everclear through your Brita(or other carbon filter). I usually run the everclear through the filter 8-10x. Filtering takes away the bite of the strong corn alcohol. If you taste it before and after filtration it will go from a bitter hot alcohol taste, to an almost flavorless hot. Let's be realistic though guys, this is basically food grade rubbing alcohol. I don't recommend taking shots of it. Some people think that filtering the everclear is unnecessary, but IMO it makes a difference in the taste of the finished product.

Measuring the Everclear into containers:

I like to use 1 liter containers for the mathematical simplicity. Mason jars are right around 1 liter, I also have old whiskey bottles I've saved that are 1 liter. I've proofed pie from 30-90 proof and right about 50 proof seems to be best for flavor. Here's how it's done:

250mls is 25% of 1 liter. 25% of 190 proof (.25 x 190 = 47.5) is 47.5 proof. So i proof my 1 liter jars of apple pie at 47.5 by using 250mls of everclear and filling the rest (app. 750mls) with cider.

250mls is also very handy because it divides evenly into the bottles you'll purchase. If you get a fifth(750lms) of everclear it will yield 3 bottles using 250mls each. A half gallon(1.75L) will yield 7 bottles at 250mls each. Adjust as you like. This is just how I keep it simple and produce consistent product.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Once the everclear is measured into your containers close the lid to limit evaporation loss.

Back to the cider:

Now that your cider is hot add your honey/brown sugar/vanilla extract and stir frequently until incorporated well. Here's the part where apple pie really takes on its own character. The whole idea is to make a delicious sweet cider, then mix it with alcohol. The more delicious your cider, the more delicious the apple pie. So take some creative license. Add nutmeg, ground cinnamon, cumin or whatever the hell sounds good. It's your cider, make it yours!

Bottling and finishing

Once your cider is right, strain out the cloves and cinnamon sticks then pour it into your bottles with the pre-measured everclear and secure the lid tightly. I like to get my bottles into the fridge right away to start cooling a make a good vacuum in the bottle.

Finishing the pie is the toughest part. The longer it sits in the fridge untouched, the more the everclear will mellow. If you open a bottle the day after it's made, expect to taste a strong bite of everclear. A week after is better, 2 weeks is best. I have no idea the shelf life of this stuff. It's usually gone within 4-5 weeks of being made. But the last few bottles that have set for the longest are always the best.

Cheers and Happy fuckin holidays brothers!

**liquor and cider supplies usually come out to around $150 for 14 liters of finished product. That's just over $10 per liter!

**sorry for the blurry pics, I was getting into the holiday spirit while making it, if you know what I mean

I prefer unfiltered cider found in the refrigerated section similar to this:

Some of the basic ingredients:

Cider mix with cloves floating on top:

Measuring the everclear into bottles/jars:

The finished product of 13.5 liters (I made the 1/2 gallon bottles a little extra potent for party nights):

Last edited by Sinus211 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:Init:

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would cut the sugar to 1/4 a cup at most and use a different sweetener, molasses or pure maple syrup, for example to make up the difference.
Everclear (any store purchased alcohol) already has a good amount of preservatives in it which will cause a hangover, even if you don't get blitzed.
Brown or white sugar content will only add to that.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 makes the best apple pie I've ever tried!!

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:54 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

OhShoot! wrote:

Come on down, I've got a guest bedroom for ya!

bhpdrew wrote:
I would cut the sugar to 1/4 a cup at most and use a different sweetener, molasses or pure maple syrup, for example to make up the difference.
Everclear (any store purchased alcohol) already has a good amount of preservatives in it which will cause a hangover, even if you don't get blitzed.

This is the voice of experience talking. Drew's got some great ideas on how to refine the product and make it more natural.

Duke EB wrote:
Sinus211 makes the best apple pie I've ever tried!!

Thanks brother! We need to get another poker party together one of these days so I can lose more money to you!

Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mike, great explanation of the process and the ingredients, and good tips for doing it! thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:

Come on down, I've got a guest bedroom for ya!

Divided we fall.

Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:nicepif: :bigsmile:

oh mike reminiscent of the past at wes' :cheers2:

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now why didn't I think of this!?

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jagerbomber35 wrote:

:ROFLMAO: :rofl9: :ROFLMAO:

your too busy with keystone "light"

Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:

What about a cup and a half of honey and no sugar?

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:51 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Jagerbomber35 wrote:

That's not your exact recipe! Close, but I did some tweaking over the last 6 or 7 batches.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
bhpdrew wrote:

Different sweeteners add certain subtle flavors. An all honey sweetener would not react as well with the cider. You would have a rather powerful honey flavor to contend with the cider flavor. A little sugar helps avoid that.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:21 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
Mike, great explanation of the process and the ingredients, and good tips for doing it! thumbsup

Thanks Steve! Just trying to help everyone get that warm fuzzy feeling (buzzed) they deserve this holiday.

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
Selador wrote:
bhpdrew wrote:

Different sweeteners add certain subtle flavors. An all honey sweetener would not react as well with the cider. You would have a rather powerful honey flavor to contend with the cider flavor. A little sugar helps avoid that.

Thank you!

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next