Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Anyone use a air fryer? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking for a recommendation, the missus says she wants one but won't pick her own.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quite literally ever single day. Huge fan of the Ninja Foodi.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Have one from Costco. It’s alright. Envious of those with the Foodi

Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have the Insta pot one, wife likes it. I've never used it, but she does for making chicken for Dog Food, Chicken Wings, etc. Not sure of the model, but she wishes it had more capacity.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a Cosori, works great.

We picked that one because when I was looking up recipes ahead of time, many of the recipe developers used that one, so I wouldn’t need to alter them.

Then, when I researched it, it was well-known, and had 10’s of thousands of 5 star reviews.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Have one from Costco. It’s alright. Envious of those with the Foodi

We have a French May, which is supposed to be a very good unit and we like it a lot. Apparently it's no longer for sale, at least at Costco. It looks like you can get them at Walmart. However, the one at Costco is highly recommended by Rita's friends.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Quite literally ever single day. Huge fan of the Ninja Foodi.

:yes:
in use right now....it's like 3 or 4 yrs old, still going strong.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:43 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

We bought a Chinese Amazon model (no Jukkou not a tall Asian woman) thinking we may not use it much. It’s become one of our favorite kitchen appliances (no Jukkou!!).

Once this one dies we’ll get the ninja. (still not talking about Asians Jukk!)

Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have one. It sits in the cupboard.

I did not like the dry food that pretty much comes out it like its been baked in the oven.

I have a black iron kettle of oil sitting on my counter for frying things. If its cooked in air, its not FRIED, its just baked with swirly hot air.

Not my thing.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sinus211 wrote:
We bought a Chinese Amazon model (no Jukkou not a tall Asian woman) thinking we may not use it much. It’s become one of our favorite kitchen appliances (no Jukkou!!).

Once this one dies we’ll get the ninja. (still not talking about Asians Jukk!)

:ROFLMAO: :rofl9: :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

I did not like the dry food that pretty much comes out it like its been baked in the oven.

I have a black iron kettle of oil sitting on my counter for frying things. If its cooked in air, its not FRIED, its just baked with swirly hot air.

Not my thing.

Definitely not the end all be all of appliances. We use ours a ton, but we also have 2 young kids. Love me some fried food, but not always the healthiest decision. I find it does some things better than frying or other methods of cooking, and usually faster.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Not my thing.

Definitely not the end all be all of appliances. We use ours a ton, but we also have 2 young kids. Love me some fried food, but not always the healthiest decision. I find it does some things better than frying or other methods of cooking, and usually faster.

100% agreed.

Some things are great sous vide, some are not. Same with pressure cooking, and also air frying.

It’s just a convection oven, but with the smaller area, you get a nice ratio of air flow to area.

It’s also convenient, and cooks some things really well, and reheats things nicely, too.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

2 birds one stone

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0947H5GWR/re ... KP5_0?th=1

They make toaster oven air fryer combos, and it's not so much a toaster oven as a mini oven.

I've made yorkshire puddings, fresh pizza, pies, meatloaf, and even trusted it with a 7lb USDA prime holiday ny strip roast.

I barely use my real oven now.

Breville makes an expensive one but it fits a 13x9 baking dish, and a 10lb turkey. which REALLY makes it the only oven you could live with.
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BOV860B ... 28e6d374b3

Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

We have an air fryer thread; it doesn't get a lot of action, but you can find some info here: viewtopic.php?f=121&t=99557.

I own two air fryers:

1) The Instant Pot 8-quart Duo Crisp: https://www.instanthome.com/product/ins ... ure-cooker
I bought this because I wanted a second Instant Pot pressure cooker anyhow, and I wanted to give air frying a try.

2) The Ninja SP101 "Flip": https://www.amazon.com/Ninja-Multi-Purp ... 07SCGY2H6/
Once I tried the Instant Pot and knew I wanted an air fryer, I decided that the Flip would be a better choice.

The Flip is what I use 99% of the time. I love that it flips up out of the way, freeing up counter space, and that's the way that it lives if we aren't actively using it. We use it as a toaster (so-so, takes too long), an air fryer, a small oven, etc. I really like it, with one glaring problem: It's really, really short. Put a baked potato in there, and you're damn near touching the roof of it. As long as you're doing something short and flat, it's great. I think the newer models are a little taller, which means they'll use slightly more counter space when flipped up, but will give you more cooking options.

The only time I use the Instant Pot air fryer now is when I want to cook something that's tall, and it's good for that. Want do do a basket of corn chips? The Instant Pot does that well. But in general, it's more hassle to use than the Flip.

If I were to buy an air fryer now, and if I had some counter space to spare, I'd buy one of the small, square ovens, something like this: https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... ov900.html. Just get something big enough to cook multiple shapes in. I'm told that the one I linked is big enough to hold a brisket, and you can set it to 150 degrees . . . which means it would be fantastic for long rests of smoked meats, just as a side hustle.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:18 pm

We use a Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro. Japanese housing doesn't have ovens like we do, so this is our main oven for everything. It acts as a regular oven but will also, air fry, broil, toast, reheat, keep warm, roast, dehydrate. Also has pizza and cookie mode. It's a life savor for us and yes the air frier works great.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next