Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Mushroom info. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLPLCmwBLBY&t=4s

https://www.montereymushrooms.com/mushr ... 6%20months.

Sun May 29, 2022 2:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Chuck, I rather enjoyed that.

Instead of freezing the Chantys and lobsters that i pick each year, we dehydrate them. I find when you put them in a soup or saute them later after being dried, they have a firmer, chewy texture and mimic a meat more. After being dried and the put in a soup or gravy they feel/taste like chunks of steak/meat.

Sun May 29, 2022 7:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great video

I've never been into it but apparently there's a bunch of people into mushroom harvesting around here. Had a lady come into the store a few weeks ago looking for a mushroom knife. Never heard of such a thing so I grabbed our knife buyer to deal with her. The two of them talked for at least half an hour about mushrooms and knifes. Had no idea

Embedded yo!

Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had Opinel knives for YEARS and they are awesome. Simple, inexpensive, and sharp. They also have an engraving service.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pages/fathers-day-2022

+1 for whats eating Dan.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I've had Opinel knives for YEARS and they are awesome. Simple, inexpensive, and sharp. They also have an engraving service.

https://www.opinel-usa.com/pages/fathers-day-2022

+1 for whats eating Dan.

Rita & I quite enjoy going mushroom hunting. We've gotten pretty good at chanterelles and it's rare to get skunked anymore since we know what we're looking for now. I'd like to go looking for morels now, but don't have a spot that we're aware of (people are generally not very forthcoming with mushroom locations). Unfortunately our favorite spot got closed by the DNR last year and the only way in was about a two mile all uphill hike (with a subsequent 2 mile all downhill hike, which hurts even worse). My back won't put up with that, but she's hiked in a couple of times with another friend and come back with pretty good loads of mushrooms (nobody up there except other hikers / bikers). We're looking for another place but have kept striking out. However, hiking in the woods is nice on it's own, and the hound gets exhausted constantly running back & forth between us which is good for him.

We use a couple of Buck knives (Paklite 140) I've dressed up with some paracord and I use an old toothbrush to clean my mushrooms, she prefers a tightly trimmed 1" paintbrush (I trim the bristles down to about 3/4-1" for her). I've had my eye on one of those Opinel knife/brush combos for a while, but what I've got works pretty well.

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]