Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wal-Mart grocery delivery review 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, lets get this out of the way.... I don't particularly care for Wal-Mart, however, like Amazon, they offer products that I wouldn't have access to otherwise, and are pretty inexpensive, especially restrictive diet options, like low/reduced sodium. They do not always have the lowest prices, but for most things they do. Sodas are one of those things that are ridiculously priced....

I'm focusing on the food side of this, since it's wagrubs, but they do deliver other stuff from the store with your order.. So, for example, in my last order, I got a fan, and the order before that I added some plates and plastic utensils.

Their pricing structure as of a couple months ago, is similar to Amazon.

If you buy $35 or more, you get free next day delivery. You do have to pay if you want same day or 'premium' delivery spots or earlier delivery times. No subscription required.

The next options are subscription based, with no minimum purchase, and unlimited deliveries with 'premium' delivery spot fees waived. The options are $12.95/mo or $98/yr, with a 30 day free trial. I'm still in the free trial but will definitely be extending for $98/yr.

The deliveries so far appear to be by doordash.

For me, things like low carb tortillas, low sodium/no salt added canned beans, rice, low sodium canned chicken, etc have been super easy to order and very inexpensive.

Fresh meats/veggies are of course available, and the options are there for specific things, like fresh broccoli, or cilantro, with prices reflecting current price per lb.

Substitutions - If the item you're ordering shows 'in stock', but it's not, they will substitute a similar item at no additional charge, which you can either approve or cancel the item from the order. This has been to my benefit quite a few times as I order the 'Great Value' no salt added kidney beans, and they've been out of stock and substituted the Goya brand which IMO tastes better, and is also 4x the cost of the store brand. Also, I had a friend who needed some food, so I ordered some store brand mac n cheese which they were out of and substituted the legit Kraft mac n cheese, which is also 3x the cost of the store brand..

Delivery addresses - You can have as many as you want. As mentioned above, a friend needed some food, and I was able to have it delivered to her house, within a couple hours. They can sign for it, if they're the designated recipient, or have contactless delivery.

Delivery times - Delivery times vary, but have been in as little as a couple hours. I woke up early ~0300 and couldn't get back to sleep, so I submitted an order ~0550, and I was able to select an 0800-0900 delivery window, and it was delivered at 0759.. Most orders have been at the beginning of the delivery window, although one order was delivered 5 minutes after the delivery window. You can also add to the order after you submit it, I think up to an hour (or 2) before the scheduled delivery window.

Advantages - No wasted time shopping in store... No money to spend on gas, however, you still want to tip. My food orders have been anywhere from $75-$220 and I'll tip $5-$10.. The closest Wal-Mart to me is about 10 miles. So, if I drove my truck, I'd be spending about $8 on fuel round trip, so a $10 tip to not have to waste an hour driving, and 2 hours shopping is HUGE. All the drivers have been in small, very fuel efficient vehicles. So, for them, to burn $2 in gas, and get a $5-10 tip on top of their regular amount from doordash, I think is reasonable.

One of the other advantages is also one of the disadvantages. By shopping online, you only get what you need.. The disadvantage to that is there's always something you forgot to put on the list that you see on the shelf and get. There are no shelves to browse, only a list.

I have not had an issue yet, although with doordash as their carrier, I'm sure something will come up missing eventually, but again, haven't really had any issues other than 2 items across 2 orders that were not in stock and there was no substitution because they were very unique items.

So far, in the past month that I've had the service (30 day free trial), I've probably saved a good 8 hours in driving/shopping, and when factoring in fuel costs, and the fact that I want to get fast food when I go out, I've probably ended up saving quite a bit of money as well even when factoring in tips and the future cost of the program.

For someone like me, with fuel hungry vehicles, that wants to minimize trips, and wants to order frequently to get fresh veggies, it's awesome.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And you probably won't get brake checked or chased around the neighborhood by the door dash guy...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
And you probably won't get brake checked or chased around the neighborhood by the door dash guy...

:ROFLMAO:

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No more Walmart parking lot stories in the pissed off thread??! icon_eek

:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Edited to add:

Glad it’s working out for you. We did it with Fred Meyer some. Not sure if you’re near one, but the $4.95 fee seems to always be waived. Their delivery is via Instacart. The cool thing is, prices are the same in-store & online. Not always true when Instacart is involved, but with Freddy’s, it has been.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:30 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting review, thanks.

I still consider grocery shopping to be fun, so I’m not ready to give it up … but I see your points.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My question is about fresh meat and veggies. I like to hand select them, how do they go about picking that stuff out?

Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
My question is about fresh meat and veggies. I like to hand select them, how do they go about picking that stuff out?

Dunno, but the veggies I've had them pick were pretty simple. Asparagus, jalapeno, green onion, green pepper, yellow onion, broccoli etc. I got a 6 pack of avocados but those usually need about a week to ripen regardless... Everything but the broccoli crowns and jalapeno were pre-priced, and per item, so for example I would order 2 crowns, which were almost a lb ea... or 5 jalapenos that weigh 7 ounces, or whatever.. I found that out the hard way when I ordered '1' for jalapeno, thinking I'd get 1 lb, and literally 1 jalapeno that cost like 12 cents showed up... :ROFLMAO:

The meat selection I got for the most part was the stuff they prepackage at the deli... with an average weight range...

as an example...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Freshness-Gu ... /124782654

Attachment:
04-11-2022_111156.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thomas Paine wrote:

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Interesting review, thanks.

I still consider grocery shopping to be fun, so I’m not ready to give it up … but I see your points.

Yep, call me old fashioned, but I like getting a little exercise after dinner walking around picking up some groceries.

Get out of your house, its good for you (and others).

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:27 am

My niece has been using them for a while. She keeps getting extra stuff sent with what she orders.

Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had my first miss today.

My trial expired, and forked over the $100 or whatever it was last week.

Now, the first order after the trial expired and they have my full payment, they completely missed an order.

I sent in an order around 1730.. it was pulled with 3 substitutions and 2 items not in stock. I selected a delivery window of 2100-2200...

Around 2140 I got a 'sorry, there's a delay' email/txt.

Around 0030 I got a 'please contact customer service about your order email..

Customer service via chat basically said 'we can't find a driver to deliver to you, it happens a lot when people pick the last appt slot of the day'... Well, points for honesty, I guess.

I was offered a waiver of their $10 express fee, which means I would get an 0700 appointment... which, doesn't really mean much because it was already supposed to be there, and $5 off the next order....

This order wasn't for me, this was an order for a friend in a bad spot who needed some food and waited until the last minute to tell me they didn't have any food... Not even ramen..

This brought up another issue. .. there's currently a promo for new members to get $10 off your first 3 orders. BUT, because I had already submitted 3 orders, the promo was invalid. I have to sign up with a new email and create a new account and start a trial to take advantage of it... which is pretty dumb.

Also, in cancelling the order, there's still a hold on my card for the full amount, that Walmart insists I'll have to talk to my bank about releasing. Otherwise it could be up to a week. What. The. Fuck.

So, lessons learned....

Don't order last minute, if you absolutely need it last minute.

Start a new account to take advantage of the promo... promo code TRIPLE10

Thomas Paine wrote:

Tue May 03, 2022 12:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]