Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Probe thermometer recommendation? 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

A question to the smoker/BBQ crowd. I want to get a thermometer probe setup for when I start to do some longer cooks on my Kettle. I already have a collapsible probe that does have a plug in extension, however it does not have any timer/alarm functions. I also want one with 2 extensions to measure the inside temp as well as the temp of what I'm cooking. (As I've seen in various hours of YouTube videos I've watched...)

I've seen some of those fancy bluetooth versions also. Spendy, but are they worth it?

What does the expert grilling crew suggest?

Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I can tell you that I bought the MEATER block (with 4 probes) last year, and I haven't regretted it. It's been pretty handy having four probes, and the ability to do all kinds of things with the phone app.

The MEATER also tells you the ambient temp (with the part that sticks out of the food), but I've read that it's not particularly accurate because the temp that close to the food isn't representative of the temp in the main part of the grill. True? I don't know.

I also know that you can spend the rest of your life chasing accurate ambient temp, since it varies significantly depending on where in the grill you check it.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.thermoworks.com/Smoke

Just a note, you don't want bluetooth. Unless your idea of "wireless" is 35 feet away with maybe 1 wall in the way, expect to get a dropped signal if you get in between 2-3 walls away from your thermometer. The spec is designed to work while your phone is in your pocket, not when you are on the other side of a 1000sqft living space.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a Thermo-pro a few years ago at a local hardware store. It was basic but worked well. It wore out so I found this one: https://buythermopro.com/product/thermo ... KwQAvD_BwE
I ordered it online direct from the manufacturer. I liked it so much I bought one for a friend's birthday.

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:10 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

It doesn't have to be wireless, or phone enabled. I think having 2 probes is good to meter different meat chunks, or to monitor the ambient inside temp. I'll give both of those suggestions a look....

Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have this, it's wireless if you choose to use the other device. https://smile.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wire ... NrPXRydWU=

Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:07 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Massivedesign wrote:
I have this, it's wireless if you choose to use the other device. https://smile.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Wire ... NrPXRydWU=

Thanks! I'll roll the dice on that one.. It was actually one on my radar and since it got 2 votes here I went for it. Bonus is that it will be here tomorrow thanks to the Evil Empire!

Now I just gotta figure what to cook.....

Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:28 am
Profile WWW

I was going to suggest the ThermoPro stuff --- it seems to be the most reasonably priced stuff out there.
I've got the TP07s - actually two of them - I was gonna go with the non wireless one for $20, but they had a sale on the wireless one for $25 - multi probe ones were still $60+. Had issues with the first one, so they sent me a second unit - that had the same issues - probe plug would work its way loose from the base unit --- they both still work with a zip tie, but still kind of a bummer. They do have a good 300 ft range on the wireless! I can walk up to the neighbor's house with it and still monitor. I was happy with one, but having two is better when needed.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every time I hear “thermometer”...
Spoiler: show

:bigsmile:

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd get anything from Thermoworks personally. They are a long historied company with long term support of parts and extensibility of their hardware both in hardware and software side. The Smoke thermometer is wireless but also has the option of purchasing a wireless bridge which you hook to your home internet system which allows you to statistically log the temperature of your cook and predict when it will finish cooking. Also it will allow you to have multiple wireless thermometers setup if you have some insane multi barbecue setup that can track separate devices.

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just remember, wireless for temperature probes is likely Bluetooth, not WiFi, so it's not going to reach all that far.....

I have an Inkbird IBT-4SX. It's a four probe unit and it works well. They have a dedicated app which is ok.

I also have an Inkbird IHT-1P folding stick probe. It has a needle like probe (1/16" diameter) and reads the temperature instantly. I use that more than anything else.

Jack

Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My old thermometer went to the big smoke cloud in the sky last weekend with the food probe no longer transmitting any reading. So just picked up a Thermoworks Smoke x4 unit a few minutes ago on their online store:
https://www.thermoworks.com/smokex4

I've been using their Therma-pen product for a long time. Looking forward to a higher quality BBQ thermometer setup.

Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]