Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:14 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Any difference in cast iron brands? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one Lodge brand skillet. I’m planning to buy a Dutch oven and possibly more items because I enjoy cooking in the skillet.

Is there any functional difference in brands, or are Finex and Le Creuset mostly fashion statements? I could sell five 9mm cartridges and buy the more expensive brands, but won’t if they are only status symbols.

Thanks in advance!

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

User 1234 wrote:
I have one Lodge brand skillet. I’m planning to buy a Dutch oven and possibly more items because I enjoy cooking in the skillet.

Is there any functional difference in brands, or are Finex and Le Creuset mostly fashion statements? I could sell five 9mm cartridges and buy the more expensive brands, but won’t if they are only status symbols.

Thanks in advance!

I look for Vintage Cast Iron myself, this modern stuff doesn't match the old Iron in my opinion. Craigslist, Offer Up etc and you can find some deals.
A proper cleaning and seasoning and you have a Pan that will be your favorite for decades to come.
https://estatesales.org/thegoods/vintag ... iron-guide

OG commentary in 3-2-1.......

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one very old pre “Lodge” brand that I’ve had for over twenty years, love it use it almost daily. I can’t remember the brand or marks. A friend gave me an Lodge in identical size. I’ve used it enough to say it seems to cook just as good as my other one. I did give the Lodge to my adult son because I don’t cook with two cast irons at the same time. I’ve seen plenty used on FB Marketplace. These things last a lifetime.

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look here for info

/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=38031&p=1059399&hilit=cast+iron#p1059399

Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a new lodge and love it. I highly doubt anyone could tell the difference between the brands.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everybody.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is. The internal finish on new cast iron is ruff in contrast to vintage cast iron. That can make it very hard to season. Which means it won’t have that non stick surface.
So that would be the first thing I would look at when purchasing cast iron cookware. For your average skillet you can find them used for under $20.00 if your patient and you like to explore second had shop and garage sales. Name brands are cool for collectors. But just because there is no name on a piece does not mean it won’t cook well.
When buying used. Hold the skillet (or whatever cast iron your buying ) by the handle. Let it hand down , the tap or flick the pan with your finger. Like your ringing a bell. And it should, ring like a bell. If it’s a dull thud. That tells you the item is cracked and you don’t want that. Second, set the skillet down on a flat solid surface. Now try to spin it. If it spins or even rocks. That means it’s warped. And that’s no good. Lastly the best deals are buying rusted and nasty caked on crudded up items. With a little effort a person can easily remove rust and 80 + years of baked on grease. And have a beautiful better than new pice of cast cookware.
There are some good YouTube videos on what to look for and how to restore cast iron cookware.
I just learned how to use easy off oven cleaner for removing old baked on grease. It’s a lot easier that sanding and wire wheel.
Good luck with your search

Last edited by survivor on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked this up last week at the Value Village in Burien. It’s a 10” number 8 Griswold made it the 1950’s.
I paid $12.00 for it.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cast iron identification

[youtube2] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6QqXA8kWnT4 [/youtube2]

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[youtube2] https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FrGaOd5zv8Y [/youtube2]

Well I still don’t know how to get videos posted. So this will have to work.

Last edited by survivor on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Just post the plain link if you want, that's fine.

If you use the "youtube2" tag, just put the alphanumeric code for the video inside the tags. In this case, put "FrGaOd5zv8Y" inside the tags (no quotes).

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

survivor wrote:
My experience is. The internal finish on new cast iron is ruff in contrast to vintage cast iron. That can make it very hard to season. Which means it won’t have that non stick surface.
So that would be the first thing I would look at when purchasing cast iron cookware. For your average skillet you can find them used for under $20.00 if your patient and you like to explore second had shop and garage sales. Name brands are cool for collectors. But just because there is no name on a pice does not mean it won’t cook well.
When buying used. Hold the skillet (or whatever cast iron your buying ) by the handle. Let it hand down , the tap or flick the pan with your finger. Like your ringing a bell. And it should, ring like a bell. If it’s a dull thud. That tells you the item is cracked and you don’t want that. Second, set the skillet down on a flat solid surface. Now try to spin it. If it spins or even rocks. That means it’s warped. And that’s no good. Lastly the best deals are buying rusted and nasty caked on crudded up items. With a little effort a person can easily remove rust and 80 + years of baked on grease. And have a beautiful better than new pice of cast cookware.
There are some good YouTube videos on what to look for and how to restore cast iron cookware.
I just learned how to use easy off oven cleaner for removing old baked on grease. It’s a lot easier that sanding and wire wheel.
Good luck with your search

Yep, the surface finish is the big difference. That Griswold is a beauty!

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 10" Griswold for $12 is a nice find indeed!

Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carbon steel is also a good option. Half the weight.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/carbon-st ... ce-4796603

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Carbon steel is also a good option. Half the weight.
https://www.thespruceeats.com/carbon-st ... ce-4796603

There are a ton of inaccuracies in that article designed to sell their pans to folks not very familiar with steel/iron/alloys etc.

Quote:
It's the carbon content that gives cast iron its rough, slightly bumpy feel.

Bullshit. It's the sand casting molds that give the pan its finish. Some pans even have a machined or sanded surface. Fast/low quality molds are lumpy.

I have many 50 year old GM engine blocks (cast iron) with a nicer surface than a new lodge logic. Their lumpy ass finish is one of the worst.

Also they claim that carbon steal heats quicker and it better because it has no hot spots.
Bullshit.
Cast iron is better because it heats SLOWLY and EVENLY. When some thing heats slowly it shares that heat (heat soak) with the surrounding metal EVENLY. When something heats quickly it only heats the area heat is applied to and not the surrounding areas as well. Remember if it heats quickly, it cools quickly.

This one of the reasons that a brass/copper radiator works superior to these cheap aluminum radiators. Aluminum heats and cools quickly, but also leads to massive temp fluctuations.

A great sales pitch for their "cheaper to produce" pans tho.

If your in a hurry to cook, get a nice microwave

Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next