Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:54 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

smoked apple wood cheese. i like took take blocks and cut em down

Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks great :thumbsup2:

Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:21 pm

Trying to get a BIG turkey to thaw in time to smoke on sat or sun....
My neighbor 'commissioned' me to smoke this bird after he was impressed with the pork butt I smoked for him.
For some strange odd reason, he says his two girls don't like turkey (....?...?...) and that this bird is just waaaay too much turkey for he and the wife ---- I just don't get it ---- so he said I could take half of it if I smoked it for him!!! He really just wants to get it out of his freezer.... OK --- I'm glad to help out and I love having a reason to fire up the smoker --- I was planning on picking up a turkey breast last week @ $1/#, but a free half a turkey is just as good.
There wasn't a tag on the bird for weight, but I figure its at least an 18#er -- would not be surprised if its actually 19 or 20!!! I'm hoping it will fit on the WSM without any issue --- I think the largest I have done is ~16#. Its already brined and injected - so I'm planning on just doing it bare with the spine removed and just feeding it lots of smoke. I'm thinking it will be just as good or better than the one I did for Tgiving.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:32 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Trying to get a BIG turkey to thaw in time to smoke on sat or sun....
My neighbor 'commissioned' me to smoke this bird after he was impressed with the pork butt I smoked for him.
For some strange odd reason, he says his two girls don't like turkey (....?...?...) and that this bird is just waaaay too much turkey for he and the wife ---- I just don't get it ---- so he said I could take half of it if I smoked it for him!!! He really just wants to get it out of his freezer.... OK --- I'm glad to help out and I love having a reason to fire up the smoker --- I was planning on picking up a turkey breast last week @ $1/#, but a free half a turkey is just as good.
There wasn't a tag on the bird for weight, but I figure its at least an 18#er -- would not be surprised if its actually 19 or 20!!! I'm hoping it will fit on the WSM without any issue --- I think the largest I have done is ~16#. Its already brined and injected - so I'm planning on just doing it bare with the spine removed and just feeding it lots of smoke. I'm thinking it will be just as good or better than the one I did for Tgiving.

I’m excited to try a turkey. Jagerbomber smoked some turkey years back that changed the way I view turkey. It was incredible! Honestly probably 1/2 the reason I wanted to get a smoker was to do turkeys.

Last weekend I did a pork butt for pulled pork overnight, trimmed another butt into lean cubes to make burnt ends, and smoked a couple spatchcock chickens from Costco. Least work was the chickens and they stole the show. So juicy and tender! My smoker is going to be seeing more bird this year, for sure. And some cheese. You guy’s smoked cheeses look amazing!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very nice, Mike. That stuff looks great, you're kicking ass with that thing! thumbsup

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn nice job Mike! Pretty soon you will be the new Yardbird Master. :thumbsup2:

The Pork Cubes look good, That sauce is pretty. That Porkbutt, was it in that butcher paper in the Smoker?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good looking stuff, Mike!

You are working that thing! :cheers2:

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

awesome mike, with cheese I don't want to give out how. I don't use a water pan either. How low does your heat go? needs to be at least 85 or lower

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:37 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Thanks fellas! I’m just starting to learn, nowhere near what you guys are doing. I haven’t wrapped anything on the grill yet aside from covering those burnt ends once they were in the sauce.

I just got my first roll of butcher paper delivered yesterday. (New guy)

I did a brisket a few weeks back. What’s next? Jalapeño poppers? Shotgun shells?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:53 pm

Sinus211 wrote:

I did a brisket a few weeks back. What’s next? Jalapeño poppers? Shotgun shells?

Meatloaf.
Yer welcome.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:33 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
Sinus211 wrote:

Meatloaf.
Yer welcome.

Do you cook it in a foil boat? How do you maximize the surface area exposed to the smoke?

Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:45 am

Make the loafs in a bread pan to keep them on the smaller side. A 1.5# of burger and 1# of sausage with a good amount of filler/mixins fills two pans nicely. My BiL will make a monster 3# 'meat baby' when he does meatloaf --- he gets lots of smoke on the outside, but the inside is lacking - I prefer the smaller loafs. Put saran wrap in the pans before filling so you can wrap the loaf --- put them in the freezer for a while to firm up - unwrap and apply rub all over..... You can start them out still frozen (partial or fully) to maximize smoke too. Make sure you get a perfed pan to keep it from sinking into the grates.

Attachment:
20231027_173140.jpg

Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:59 am

~2 hours in and IT of 110.....
Man - I wish it could be done at that color..... but it WILL get darker before it finishes....
Yeah --- that bird is pushing the limits of the 18" WSM - any bigger and I'd have to quarter it down....

Attachment:
20240217_142440.jpg

Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:29 pm

Pic at ~4.5 hour mark while there was still good light....
Such beautiful color!!!!

Attachment:
20240217_163441.jpg

I just pulled it at the 5.5 hour mark temping at ~160ish since it was coaling out and getting dark and cold.... I have to make sure it doesn't 'dry out'.......... :bigsmile:

Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First picture is perfect for a magazine's Thanksgiving Special Edition cover.

Second picture is perfect for Smokers quarterly.

thumbsup

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Sat Feb 17, 2024 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1877 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126  Next