Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 138  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I had to stop my neighbor from using cedar in his kamodo because he thought 'you smoke salmon on a cedar plank'..... I'm only about 2 years into smoking.... but I like to believe I've come a loooong way in that time --- he's had that kamodo for 10+ years and still hasn't really figured it out.

Also make me wonder about hazelnut.... people seem to like it in their coffee - I don't - but if I saw an ad for someone that just cut down a hazelnut tree....... I think I'd be game to try it out. I'm hoping that my neighbor's will let me know when they do a 'big' prune on their fig tree....

Is that the neighbor you smoke Yard bird for?? 10 years with a Kamodo and he still hasn't figured it out? He needs to sell that thing and just let you smoke his Chicken for him.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu May 26, 2022 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
I just saw this and it got me wondering......

Attachment:
Horse chestnut.png

I can't say I've ever heard of anyone smoking with chestnut...?...? Has anyone ever tried it before? I'm thinking that its a 'nut' hardwood that 'should' be OK..... but I don't know if it ventures over the line like walnut does.....

use it for pork its not really strong. next time add cherry to the mix or even your plum. somewhere I think you mentioned the amount of smoke, after a few hrs you can not infuse it more even if you do it say 12 hrs it will not flavor more.

Thu May 26, 2022 10:03 pm

usrifle wrote:
JohnMBrowning wrote:
I had to stop my neighbor from using cedar in his kamodo because he thought 'you smoke salmon on a cedar plank'..... I'm only about 2 years into smoking.... but I like to believe I've come a loooong way in that time --- he's had that kamodo for 10+ years and still hasn't really figured it out.

Also make me wonder about hazelnut.... people seem to like it in their coffee - I don't - but if I saw an ad for someone that just cut down a hazelnut tree....... I think I'd be game to try it out. I'm hoping that my neighbor's will let me know when they do a 'big' prune on their fig tree....

Is that the neighbor you smoke Yard bird for?? 10 years with a Kamodo and he still hasn't figured it out? He needs to sell that thing and just let you smoke his Chicken for him.

No -- different neighbors.... The one I cook for - his idea of 'cooking' chicken is throwing boneless/skinless breasts on the grill and smearing some Franks on it when its done.... I've shown him that there is soooooo much more that can be done. I have successfully converted them over to bone in/skin on chicken now.

The one with the kamado --- I assumed he knew what he was doing.... When I picked up the WSM, I was picking his brain for tips.... It became pretty evident by a lot of his comments that he really hadn't figured it out --- he was more interested in trying all sorts of marinades/seasonings/recipes rather than running the kamado properly. He would always say 'I like lump because it burns hotter and doesn't leave as much ash as briquettes --- but I don't know why my meats are over cooked and not very smoky'.... (He also thought that briquettes had BAD things in it that 'ruin the taste and are bad for you') He would run the grill up REALLY hot and then wait for it to come back down.... basically too hot from the get go and then NO air flow or draft for the smoke. I had to help him along with all the 'fizicks' of what is really going on with a ceramic cooker -- the difference between high and low heat fuel in an insulated grill and the importance of air flow.... Once he started listening to me, he started getting MUCH better results. He and his family were totally blown away when I gave him some plum pucks and he had things under control. He now apricates the differences in smoke flavors too --- something that he was never able to pick up on...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri May 27, 2022 9:17 am

Getting ready to smoke a meatloaf today..... trying to decide what smoke to use.... too many to choose from. Last one was oak/cherry/pecan --- pretty much my standard. I was thinking about using just plum, but I was talking with my BiL who said when he used it - it turned out great, but a bit too sweet for him.... So that got me thinking --- should I just use almond? I've got just about every flavor at my disposal for any kind of mix.... I'm trying to make my choice 'wisely'.

Bonus too --- I finally cut out a sheet of the SS perf for a smoking tray/rack that should work really well... pretty fired up to see how it will do!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Mon May 30, 2022 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Give it a shot with just the Almond.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 30, 2022 10:26 am

Thats pretty much what my gut is telling me..... its also telling me to add ~10% plum just for the hell of it for some sweetness.

Mon May 30, 2022 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speaking of Kamado's...
I picked one up about 2 months ago. (Kamado Joe Classic 2)

I have to say, this thing Rocks!

Ive done everything from Dino Ribs, Baby Backs, Pork Butts, High heat Sear on NY's and RibeEyes and 700*+ Home Made Pizza and it has worked great on all of it.
Im blown away at how easy it is to control heat, and both how Hot and how LOW & SLOW I can cook with it.
Its a very versatile back yard cooker

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 30, 2022 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

chaisintail :bow: :drool: :drool:

just about done

Mon May 30, 2022 4:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chasin Tail, you’ve been busy! Those cooks look amazing!

Chris, whatcha cooking there?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon May 30, 2022 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

pork rib tip

Mon May 30, 2022 5:04 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ooooh. I’ve never tried those.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon May 30, 2022 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ChasinTail & cmica, nice ! :thumbsup2:

Mon May 30, 2022 7:19 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Did double duty on the Kettles today. One ran a smallish pork butt, the other I did ribs. On the ribs I made one with the normal rub and 3-2-1(ish) wrap, the other I just tried SPG and no wrap. The SPG version was a bit of a miss, A little too dry and a bit saltier than I like. Also with no wrap they were also much firmer. Overall still a good cook...

Attachment:
20220530_181345.jpg

Attachment:
20220530_181342.jpg

Attachment:
20220530_141643.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 30, 2022 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks damn good Damon! I have never done ribs without rub, how did they taste?

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon May 30, 2022 7:49 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

usrifle wrote:
Looks damn good Damon! I have never done ribs without rub, how did they taste?

They were ok. I just made up a shaker of coarse pepper, kosher salt and garlic powder. I think I overdid the coating a bit. I've seen it mentioned a few times on reddit or in videos just doing Salt and pepper on ribs so I wanted to give it a try. I think however I preferred the modified 3-2-1 way.

Mon May 30, 2022 7:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2056 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 138  Next