Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 137  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TMI...

:ROFLMAO:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:25 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

NWGunner wrote:
olydemon wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Those look great!

If you like pepper, try some Aleppo.

Layered & slightly fruitier :thumbsup2:

Never heard of that pepper... Will have to find some....

You don’t need me to Google for you for info about it, you can obviously do that for yourself.

I tend to get mine from World Spice, in Seattle. The wife & I used to make an afternoon of it...going down, having lunch somewhere, then stopping by on the way out of town.

Then, parking became a clusterf@ck, and now Seattle, is a clusterf@ck, so, I order it online :ROFLMAO:

You can get it there, or Penzey’s out of Chicago, or Kalustyan’s out of New York.

I tend to go with World Spice, though it often ships from their outpost in Montana. It’s always fresh & pretty good.

And it’s not hoity toity...it’s like $3 an ounce.

Sign up for World Spice’s emails, and you’ll get 10% off, or free shipping, or something, on your first order.

I get Sumac, Turmeric, Aleppo, and a number of other spices from them.

Link to Aleppo:

https://www.worldspice.com/spices/aleppo-pepper

Found some at World Market today. Pretty good stuff. Sorta sweet with a bit of kick. I put pizza peppers on everything, I could see this being a sub for that.

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

olydemon wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
olydemon wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
Those look great!

If you like pepper, try some Aleppo.

Layered & slightly fruitier :thumbsup2:

Never heard of that pepper... Will have to find some....

You don’t need me to Google for you for info about it, you can obviously do that for yourself.

I tend to get mine from World Spice, in Seattle. The wife & I used to make an afternoon of it...going down, having lunch somewhere, then stopping by on the way out of town.

Then, parking became a clusterf@ck, and now Seattle, is a clusterf@ck, so, I order it online :ROFLMAO:

You can get it there, or Penzey’s out of Chicago, or Kalustyan’s out of New York.

I tend to go with World Spice, though it often ships from their outpost in Montana. It’s always fresh & pretty good.

And it’s not hoity toity...it’s like $3 an ounce.

Sign up for World Spice’s emails, and you’ll get 10% off, or free shipping, or something, on your first order.

I get Sumac, Turmeric, Aleppo, and a number of other spices from them.

Link to Aleppo:

https://www.worldspice.com/spices/aleppo-pepper

Found some at World Market today. Pretty good stuff. Sorta sweet with a bit of kick. I put pizza peppers on everything, I could see this being a sub for that.

Awesome.

It’s great stuff.

It’s a little different from different sources.

The best is from Aleppo, Syria, but the stuff from Turkey is good, too :thumbsup2:

Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:57 pm

Just thought I'd follow up on the turkey I smoked -----
It was an awesome turkey right off the smoker --- nice and juicy and flavorful - but I was so saturated with smoke I was missing the smoke flavor. Day two and three on the turkey has been AMAZING! That plum smoke is just everywhere in every bite! So damn tasty! Its me and cat against a 12.5# turkey and so far we are in the lead. Its going to take a while to get sick of it, but I need to break it done and get some in the freezer.
Planning on stripping the legs and wings today and prepping for a turkey casserole --- simple Stovetop Stuffing on top of turkey with veggies and gravy - debating whether I want to put a layer of mashed on the bottom - thinking that would be great!

My neighbor did two b/s turkey breasts with the plum.... I was chatting with the wife yesterday and she said 'its the BEST he's ever made!' --- he told me all he did was season it with Johnny salt and throw it on the green egg with the plum.

I'll say this again ----- you guys need to try some of the plum pellets from Knotty Woods ---- you will not be disappointed.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:55 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:59 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
Guess I'm in for a lousy Christmas. Oh wellImage

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats! :thumbsup2:

Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On Black Friday I finally pulled the trigger on the new camp chef 36 inch Woodwind. Took a while to get here and then took a while to actually use the thing, but Christmas Eve I smoked a 13 pound New York strip roast and a 14 pound turkey. Came out absolutely fantastic. Love the Wi-Fi and the four probes, I threw them on and then went into town and could see exactly what was going on and could adjust the temps and the smoke without even being at home!Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and parents were looking for a Blackstone for Christmas and never found one in stock (36” that is) so they gave me the money to buy one instead.....

Walmart has some clearance Blackstone with the built in air fryer. Anyone have any experience with these? Curious if the air fryers work well.
Thanks

Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:37 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

bearhunter99 wrote:
Christmas Eve I smoked a 13 pound New York strip roast and a 14 pound turkey. Came out absolutely fantastic.

Those look really good. thumbsup

And if I'm honest . . . that strip loin looks 10x better to me than every single prime rib pic that I saw over the holidays, and I saw hundreds of them.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:06 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

bearhunter99 wrote:
My wife and parents were looking for a Blackstone for Christmas and never found one in stock (36” that is) so they gave me the money to buy one instead.....

Walmart has some clearance Blackstone with the built in air fryer. Anyone have any experience with these? Curious if the air fryers work well.
Thanks

Brother has the air fryer one, works well. Downside is you need power to run it.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:47 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
bearhunter99 wrote:
Christmas Eve I smoked a 13 pound New York strip roast and a 14 pound turkey. Came out absolutely fantastic.

Those look really good. thumbsup

And if I'm honest . . . that strip loin looks 10x better to me than every single prime rib pic that I saw over the holidays, and I saw hundreds of them.
The strip loin is an under appreciated and underrated piece of meat in my opinion. I do love my prime rib too, especially when Fred Meyer does their $5.97/pound sale. But strip goes on sale a lot more often.

Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Good discussion and head-to-head cook off for a couple of pellet smokers. Good info.

Good to see the lower cost GMG coming in second. It would interesting to get some of the more main stream/cheaper units in the mix too. Sadly they didn't have the LoneStar pellet smoker in there too ---- I've heard lots of good things about that unit on line too.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd take that as a best of those 4 in their opinion, they didn't compare enough Grills.

Here's a 2021 review of 11 different Grill's.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/best-pellet-smokers/

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:53 pm

usrifle wrote:
I'd take that as a best of those 4 in their opinion, they didn't compare enough Grills.

Here's a 2021 review of 11 different Grill's.

https://www.smokedbbqsource.com/best-pellet-smokers/

I think you kinda missed the point of that vid...... It was more of a comparison of the logic/controls/algorithm that they use to control the temp/smoke of the units --- different controls give different results. That was not a 'best buy' recommendation based on features/price --- that was all based solely on 'taste' - very fair by the looks of it. Granted, tastes vary for all when it comes to smoke --- so knowing that different controls will affect that is good to know.

I have to say -- the turkey I smoked at TG was fantastically unreal straight off the smoker! I'm finishing up a breast that I put in the freezer now a month later..... I can not deny that the smoke flavor has really built in that time --- some 'may' say that it now tastes oversmoked..... I would disagree, but it is definitely different than when it was fresh.

Another good tidbit that you may not have caught is that the controllers were 'tuned' for a certain btu/mix of pellet --- if you use anything vastly different from what they had planned on, the flavor profile may be way off from expectation and/or experience.

ETA --- Also --- the premise that the Weber produced the best 'flavor profile' was due the lack of a drip pan covering the fire pot --- they thought it had more to due with more direct smoke paths to the meat --- I would venture to guess that it was more to due with the standard Weber 'flavor bars' burning dripping grease - releasing/producing more complex flavors..... Jeremy had let one of the secrets of Aaron Franklin's brisket on an offset out that was to 'throw some fat on the fire' whenever you add a split --- its those little subtleties that pay huge benefits.

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2047 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 137  Next