Martha Stewart 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Every Plate 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Freshly 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

Meal Prep/Delivery 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anybody get meal delivery? If so do you have a favorite? Price for meal comparison? Just me and the wife. I've tried Omaha steaks and Hello Fresh.
BTW Low carb friendly.

Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can skin a buck and run a trot line, a country boy can survive.

Processed food has too much sodium for my taste so I rarely go out and don’t do the delivery thing, even pizza anymore. Sorry no help here.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The food from these companies are not "processed". which is why I'm considering them.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did Freshly a couple times. Already cooked, just microwave and eat.
It is just Unfrozen, Frozen meals in my opinion.
Nothing special.
Did Hello Fresh a few times. Not too bad.
Everything seemed fresh, meat and veggies all seemed good.
Basically everything is in it's own Bag, except the meat, which is packaged per meal separately.
Prep time was ok, I did change a few things around, when I made the meals.
perfect amount of food for the wife and I. Made a salad to go with a few of them.
I rate this higher than Freshly. I think it would be good for a working couple...or for just a change.

I decided to make my own meals, cheaper and less work.
I can make chicken/meat one night and use it for 2-3 other meals.
Make a lasagna and freeze half of it, as with enchiladas and such.

I say, Go for it, try a few different ones and go from there.
Be careful with the membership/ordering, if you don't keep an eye on the account, they will send thing automatically.

-dimwit-

Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing, are people just not wanting to shop for food anymore? Respectfully, I don’t get it.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All of my roommates do it themselves. So they can buy cheap and know what they are getting. There are three InstaPots in the kitchen and with those, and with the oven, they can prep all the meals they will eat all week in a few hours.. Rice, oats, broccoli, chicken, are common ingredients. They all HIGHLY recommend doing it yourself. Why don't I do it? Variety, I'm here most of the time. I don't like microwaved. But I made the decision to give up wheat (see Wheat Belly) so I'm still changing my diet.

Shake before workout, then breakfast, lunch and dinner. Started with oatmeal, chicken and broccoli but added salmon, sweet potatoes and a few other items. Adds some supplements to the meals.
Looks like refried beans but is oatmeal and sliced almonds.
Salmon and chicken.
Sweet potatoes on the right. Two pressure cookers for simultaneous cooking.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:10 pm

I do the same thing with a smoker and a grill.... :peep:

I can see the appeal of those services tho ---- being able to try a different recipe/meal without having to buy all the ingredients/spices in bulk or at extreme prices for small quantities. Granted, you have to know before hand that you are already paying a premium, but to try a variety of different dishes would without filling your spice cabinet with things you would never use again is appealing. I'd say go for it and find the dishes you enjoy and then find the recipes to make it yourself.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Caveman Jim wrote:
I’m just trying to wrap my head around this whole thing, are people just not wanting to shop for food anymore? Respectfully, I don’t get it.

For me, it's the variety of recipes and the pre-portioned sizes.

I did Every Plate for a while.
You can select from a dozen or so recipes every week and they send the ingredients to your house.
Everything is packed in an insulated box with ice packs. I had to sort each meal into 1 gallon zip top bags.

Example:

Attachment:
20200702_121116 (1).jpg

Now I'm trying Home Chef.

Ingredients come pre-sorted and proteins are in a separate bag.

Attachment:
20211017_152045.jpg

I made this Cashew Shrimp Rice Bowl last night:

Attachment:
20211016_222113.jpg

and Steak with Herbed Butter, Asparagus and Garlic Mashed Potatoes the night before:

Attachment:
20211012_194440.jpg

If you want, I can send you a code for Home Chef that will save you some money and get me some credit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:32 pm

What does it end up costing per meal? Just curious... I've never looked into it myself.
That cashew shrimp looks tasty... as does the steak.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
What does it end up costing per meal? Just curious... I've never looked into it myself.
That cashew shrimp looks tasty... as does the steak.

Depends on the service and whether you're getting a promo or discount.

EveryPlate used to be $6.99/serving (about $14/meal) for their standard fare. Premium meals (Steaks/Seafood) were more expensive. Not sure where they sit now.
After about 5 months using them, I started having duplicate menu offerings and problems with getting the right ingredients and/or menu cards, so I stopped it. The first couple months, I was getting Five 2 serving meals per week. I switched to Three for the last. Three meals a week seems to be my sweet spot. Still have options for some of my normal favorites, but get to try new stuff too.
I still have all the recipe cards and make a few of the meals with store bought ingredients for less per serving.

I'm on week 2 of Home Chef and meals range from $8.99/serving (most meals) to $13.99/serving (Premium menus) before my introductory promo.
They also have ready to cook options.

Fred Meyer carries some of the Home Chef meal kits and pre-prepared fare if you want to give it a try without comitment.

Wife wants me to try HelloFresh with their introductory offer, so I'll be getting that box sometime next week. I can report back after I get it.

With my suppressed immune system (post transplant), avoiding crowds is important to me. Having the goods sent to me ready to go is worth the convenience fee for me. YMMV

Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:20 pm

Thanks - I've never looked into it.... If its at the price point of a good restaurant meal or less, then it really isn't all that bad.
Its something I would think about - but the smoker and grill keep me well fed really cheap.
I just re-seasoned two cast iron pans while I was cooking hassleback potatoes and reheating chicken.....

Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]