Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:29 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 2103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 141  Next
 Smoker thread? Smoker thread. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Camp Chef Woodwind 24 with side sear Box here. I have done lot's of overnight unattended Cooks with it. :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:30 am

I am not sure if I posted what I use. Here I have one of those barrel smokers and I set it up with the fire on the right side and the food on the left. I wanted something more substancial at the cabin so I used a 120 gallon propane tank. Sliced it in half length wise added a 4 inch stainless steel chimney and hinged the lid using six external house hold door hinges. I added a garage door handle for a good grip and a heavy chain to brace the lid when you want the lid open. I cook small stuff using those grill racks with long handles for large stuff that I want to smoke I have one of those foldable grills that you can fold the legs out and sit over a camp fire. I place this foldable grill in the end opposite the food I want to smoke. Yea I got the file to shrink.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently retired my Blue Ember grill and bought the Costco Exclusive Traeger Silverton. Dinner tonight is a smoked tri tip.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might be a bit off topic though thought I'd post this here in case anyone considering buying a digital thermometer recently. Thermoworks is hosting a 30% off sale on the Mk 4 Thermapen bringing the cost down to about $70:
https://www.thermoworks.com/Thermapen-Mk4?quantity=1&color=16&trk_msg=SJHQHFQ7R5KK549GSH430TD2RG&trk_contact=MNJF8DI57Q4QIFQ6PCT9TPG9P8&trk_sid=VU9SVJ8KO70APLVLPH9SHTESAC&bxid=D4F444C105C63445C5CF5493C5&utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Mk4-image&utm_campaign=June2021-Mk4-CLOSEOUTS-cs

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:17 am

Thats horribly expensive for an instant read probe.....
ThermoPro has them MUCH cheaper and there is also a 20% off Fathers Day sale code too...
https://buythermopro.com/product/thermo ... ermometer/

Think I'm gonna finally pop for one myself once I go thru the site to see which one I want.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
ThermoPro has them MUCH cheaper and there is also a 20% off Fathers Day sale code too...

Think I'm gonna finally pop for one myself once I go thru the site to see which one I want.

Thanks JMB that is a lot cheaper icon_eek I have the Thermapen here and it's been really good. Has helped me to gauge when long cooks are done and avoid overcooking. Looks like the ThermoPro is basically the same thing for a lot less.

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:

The reason is that Termapen is pretty much the original company and relied upon by many professional chefs and BBQ competitors to not break, be inaccurate, or flimsy when you need it on the job or competition day.

It's also made in the UK, and is built to last by being able to be calibrated which the other Chinesium ones aren't.

I'm very curious about a new Company from Chris Young, who is a local here that was one of the heads at Modernist Cuisine and ChefSteps, which now is on a company called Combustion Inc. with a wireless probe and thermometer with multiple sensors inside of it to determine exactly the coldest part of a meat product.

Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:52 am

Yeah - I just can't justify spending that much on them.....
I think I'm gonna pop for a TP03 - I've always wanted one since I got the wireless unit(s).
I picked up a TP07 and had a problem with the probe jack backing out - complained and they sent me another one.... had the same problem, but its nothing a rubber band or twisty can't solve. So two for ~$27. One to monitor the smoker grate temp and one for the meat when needed.

If I were to do it again, I think I would go with TP08S (for ~$32 now - was $45ish when I bought) --- like the fact that it has a 'smoker/grill' temp range setting with a hi/low alarm. I can't see what the TP20 gives you for more $$.....

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got home with this bad boy. All 22" for $125. Came with a chimney, bag of briquettes, and a cover.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

SteveJ2477 wrote:
Recently retired my Blue Ember grill and bought the Costco Exclusive Traeger Silverton. Dinner tonight is a smoked tri tip.

That looks so good.

Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:57 pm
Profile WWW

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Just got home with this bad boy. All 22" for $125. Came with a chimney, bag of briquettes, and a cover.

Nice score :thumbsup2:
I'm betting you're gonna like it....

Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KeystoneCowboy wrote:
Gman wrote:
Camp Chef Woodwind WiFi 36 with Sidekick: https://www.campchef.com/wood-pellet-gr ... -and-specs

I think I was on the website this past week and the total price for that setup was $1300. I'm seeing it at $1600 today. I recall buying it in January for $1100.

...but there's no inflation and everything is fine icon_eek .

Been trying to buy that set up for almost a year. Never is stock it seems.

I finally got lucky and jumped on it when it was in stock at $1,350 for the one with a sear burner....(pisses me off that I didn't pony up and pull the trigger last summer when they were $1,200). Bineg cheap cost me $150 this time.... Should be here around the end of June so I can retire the Woodwind 24. That extra cooking space and the larger hopper are going to be amazing along with the adjustable smoke and the direct sear option. I am pretty damn excited.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will love the sear box. I just wish it was a little bigger. You say you are looking forward to a bigger hopper? Did you ever not have enough pellets in the 18 lb hopper on the 24 for any cook?
I ran mine 18 hrs in the Winter and never ran out. I was only running 225 though.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
You will love the sear box. I just wish it was a little bigger. You say you are looking forward to a bigger hopper? Did you ever not have enough pellets in the 18 lb hopper on the 24 for any cook?
I ran mine 18 hrs in the Winter and never ran out. I was only running 225 though.
I have the seat box on my Woodwind 24. Love it but also wish they were a little bigger. As for the hopper, just a little insurance for when I forget to top it off.... I have never completely run out but I have been close.

How do you like the smoke control setting? I like the idea of being able to turn on more smoke even at higher temps but curious how that works. Higher temps should make the firebox burn hotter so not sure how it would create more smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Higher smoke = more temperature variation.

I wish technology solved people issues. It seems to just reveal them.

Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 141  Next