Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 275  Next
 what did you cook today thread 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
That's some Damn fine looking 'que. Where does a guy get Bison? I'd like to try that. :thumbsup2:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/us/g ... nting.html

Mon May 10, 2021 8:05 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Last night we did burgers on the new grill. Oldest kid made the burger patty from scratch. Grilled Pineapple and Mushroom/Onion also cooked on the side.

Attachment:
20210511_185123.jpg

Attachment:
20210511_185127.jpg

Attachment:
20210511_190726.jpg

Attachment:
20210511_190720.jpg

We also really like making roasted garlic. This nights batch was full of chili powder.

Attachment:
20210511_190728.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 12, 2021 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice!

Looks like you’re breaking it in well :thumbsup2:

Wed May 12, 2021 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet Jesus that all looks good! NWG is right, talk about breaking in a new grill the right way! :drool: :bow:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed May 12, 2021 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tried Mac N Cheese on the pellet smoker, also I had some chicken breasts I decided to bread and cook on the flat top.

Thu May 13, 2021 7:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

^ Nice. How did the mac and cheese turn out? Any lessons learned?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 13, 2021 7:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
Sweet Jesus that all looks good! NWG is right, talk about breaking in a new grill the right way! :drool: :bow:

I second this motion :thumbsup2: That is some great looking Q there. Olydemon if you're interested in our homemade chili powder recipe would be happy to post it. It's some great chili powder compared to the store bought spices.

Thu May 13, 2021 7:58 am

olydemon wrote:
Last night we did burgers on the new grill. Oldest kid made the burger patty from scratch. Grilled Pineapple and Mushroom/Onion also cooked on the side.
We also really like making roasted garlic. This nights batch was full of chili powder.

Attachment:
20210511_190728.jpg

How long before you are wishing you got that 4burner???

Nice job on filling the grill!!!

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Thu May 13, 2021 8:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
^ Nice. How did the mac and cheese turn out? Any lessons learned?
It turned out pretty good. The family loved it but I thought it could be a little creamier.

One lesson learned, use a little more milk.

I got the recipe from a Tik Tok video my wife sent me.

After watching the video again, the guy used a small box of noodles, and I used a large box with the same amount of milk. So next time I’ll add a lot more milk.

Thu May 13, 2021 8:40 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice, thanks for that. I haven’t tried mac and cheese on the smoker yet, but it sure sounds good!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Thu May 13, 2021 9:32 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

GeekWithGuns wrote:
usrifle wrote:

I second this motion :thumbsup2: That is some great looking Q there. Olydemon if you're interested in our homemade chili powder recipe would be happy to post it. It's some great chili powder compared to the store bought spices.

That would be awesome!

Thu May 13, 2021 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JohnMBrowning wrote:
olydemon wrote:

Attachment:
20210511_190728.jpg

How long before you are wishing you got that 4burner???

Nice job on filling the grill!!!

Lol, yea... in the long run I'll probably wish I got the 4th burner, sear station and side burner... but was shopping with grandmas $$ for it and needed to stay within a budget. Overall I'm pleased with the buy and I do have the Kettle if I really needed to expand on any given night... It really doesn't take much longer to get coals going with the proper lighting process. I used to just pile the charcoal then hit with fluid and always had shit results.

Thu May 13, 2021 2:04 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was looking good, but you lost me with the pineapple.

Fri May 14, 2021 7:26 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've been watching a shit-ton of cooking videos on YouTube lately, including a bunch from Bon Appetit. I was particularly intrigued by those videos that included Molly Baz, as she's fun and seemed to really know her stuff. Well, she's not on the Bon Appetit videos anymore, but she recently published her own cookbook. I honestly thought I was done with printed cookbooks (I've got the internet, duh), but I said what the hell, and took the $20 plunge:
https://smile.amazon.com/Cook-This-Book ... 593138279/

Just looking at the book, I'm pretty impressed. The recipes are all fairly simple, ingredient-wise. They're also written in a way that they're easy to follow, with the ingredients list at the top written in a way to help you with grocery shopping (e.g., all the produce is together, all the dairy is together, etc.). Then, in the step-by-step instructions for the recipe, she includes amounts. For example, rather than saying, "add the salt" she'll say, "add 1 tsp of salt." That way you don't need to keep looking back at the ingredient list.

Then she has additional online instructional videos. For example, in the recipe I made tonight, it said to baste the steak with butter. Right next to that step was a QR code (a bar code); scan it with your phone, and it plays a video of her showing you how to baste a steak in the frying pan with butter. There are a number of little how-to videos like that spread throughout the book.

I'm not much of an Instagram guy, but I'm trying to follow her (https://www.instagram.com/mollybaz/) as she's doing a "Sunday Supps" thing where every Sunday she'll cook one recipe out of the book, and she invites everyone else to do the same recipe -- and then everyone shares pics of the result. This week's recipe was Strip Steak au Poivre (aka peppercorn steak), so I said what the hell, and gave it a go! I used ribeyes since that's what I had in the freezer.

And . . . YUMMY! I honestly don't think the meat was as good as when I do it on the pellet grill, but it was still excellent, and the sauce was very good too.

(Ignore the white bits on the meat, those are just reflections.)

But the cool thing was that I tried something different. I've never basted a steak with butter. I've only tried pan-searing steak once or twice, and it didn't accomplish much except to set off the smoke detector (which did NOT happen tonight!). And a pan sauce, who has time for that? But yeah, I did it tonight. And after I added the cognac (ok, brandy) to the sauce, I turned the gas burner back on and deliberately tilted the pan a bit, and got some roaring flames that scared the shit out of my girlfriend. :ROFLMAO: Not sure why she got so excited, there's nothing in this house that's really flammable.... :wink05:

Yeah, long post, sorry. But it was fun to jump on the "Sunday Supps" train and try something different, and learn something new. Molly says in the intro of the book that if you cook the recipes she has here, you'll have gone to culinary school without even knowing it. I know that's an exaggeration, but I can see how it might be true to some degree.

Looking forward to some more Sundays, we'll see how it goes! If anyone else is doing this, post up!

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sun May 16, 2021 7:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks really good Steve, well done! So....was Lola scared of the flames too? :ROFLMAO:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun May 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162 ... 275  Next