Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Anyone Using a Vortex Venom Red Dot? 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

TwizDD wrote:
My youngest has shot a Buckmark in speed steel matches for about 4 years. For Speed Steel/Steel Challenge, bigger the dot the better, you are not shooting precision, you are shooting fast. Dom runs a 90 degree mounted Cmore with an 8 MOA dot on the Buckmark , .22 rifle runs a Cmore w/ 8 MOA dot. I run a 6 MOA dot and an 8 MOA on my MPX and .22 SBR respectively. All 4 guns have taken multiple trophies and match/division wins in state and local matches.

Exactly why I didn't want to answer as to dot size. Sounds like TwizDD is the voice of experience on this one.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have a female shooter friend that is sponsored by Vortex, her speed steel optics have custom sized dots...12 MOA!

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TwizDD wrote:
My youngest has shot a Buckmark in speed steel matches for about 4 years. For Speed Steel/Steel Challenge, bigger the dot the better, you are not shooting precision, you are shooting fast. Dom runs a 90 degree mounted Cmore with an 8 MOA dot on the Buckmark , .22 rifle runs a Cmore w/ 8 MOA dot. I run a 6 MOA dot and an 8 MOA on my MPX and .22 SBR respectively. All 4 guns have taken multiple trophies and match/division wins in state and local matches.

Thank you TwizDD... That matches pretty well with what I was seeing on the Brian Enos forum earlier today. I'll definitely pick up a 6-8 MOA dot then and will also broaden my search to evaluate the Cmore also.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No worries, if you have any more questions, or need any advice, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number.

"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do for any fellow being, let me do it now ... as I shall not pass this way again." - William Penn

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:36 pm

I am running a venom on my Glock 34, no issues at all.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:15 pm

I’ve got one on my CZ Scorpion. No issues so far with it.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kick start my heart wrote:
I’ve got one on my CZ Scorpion. No issues so far with it.

That is really interesting you run one on a Scorpion. Sure would cleanup the view with such a small Red dot.

How is the dot at Rifle lengths? how tall is your riser? I run a Vortex Sparc II on my Scorpion SBR and it's pretty good, but i am curious about the Venom on the same.

:popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 am

I have one on my Canik TP9SFX but have not got it to the range yet. Sweet looking set up so far...

Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the razor and love it. I also went 6 moa since it's a pistol. One of the differences I believe the razor can have it's battery replaced without removing the red dot. Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:27 pm

The Venom can have the battery changed without removing the red dot too.

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:22 pm

I do not have any direct long term experience with the vortex but so I cannot say yay or nay, but here a few things I see from holding one.

A few things to keep in mind that were not addressed in previous posts.

-Generally RMR style red dots with batteries mounted on the upper half is great when needing to replace batteries and not needing to recheck zero vs having them mounted underneath where dismounting is required to replace the battery. I never had a issue with my RMR needing re-zero on any of my firearms, but it's always good to double check as tolerance may vary. One issue I have come upon when working with top mounted batteries is that the optic sits higher than one that is equipped with bottom mounted battery. And in some cases do not use the CR2032, which almost standard when it comes to "coin-style" batteries in the optic world. For me I like the cr2032 as I have stacks of them at work.

-When I purchased my Burris fastfire 3, I had it on my M&P9 pro and during a class I had it on my hip. I must of went down on it (At the time I was 5'6 155lb, small asian dude) but I ended up dinging the "hood" around the glass and cracking the lense. The FF3 did not come with anything to protect it other than a large plastic detachable cover. I am not sure if the Vortex comes with this, but it's definitely not something I'd put on my handgun as it is too large and bulky.

Some companies try to counter this
Trijicon RMR- uses a thicker casing so if you ever went down on the side of your optic the glass is less lightly to crack
Leupold Delta Point- uses a double hood to protect the body that is holding the glass.

I have a leupold delta point, trijicon rmr, vortex, eotech, & burris ff3. I can see what kinda of number I can pull off them if you'd like to compare actual optical numbers, using the optical testing equipment at my work.

I know these are bit more than the one you were looking at but it's something to keep in mind. I hope you found this information useful and helps you with your future purchase. If you have any more questions regarding optics, feel free to ask. thumbsup

Enjoy whatever optic you do pick!

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:12 am

The Vortex does come with a soft rubber type of cover. Nothing I would think that could stop the lens from cracking if you go down on it.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:56 pm

Strike industries does make a "cage" too
https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/r ... leton.html

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

BattleReadyBunny wrote:
Strike industries does make a "cage" too
https://www.strikeindustries.com/shop/r ... leton.html
I will have to check that out.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I've done a little diddling with one. They seem pretty sturdy, definitely makes the optic sit higher. For sh$t & giggles, my friend has g19 w/ rmr cut, i tried putting this on, but I had to take it out to my machine shop and machine some more off because of the extra length of the exoskeleton was compared to the RMR. I didn't fall down on it to check to make sure if it was sturdy. I wanted to do some more testing like a military optic drop test, I believe its 1 story while mounted onto a hard surface (I'd have to look into my engineering/quality files to verify) but it did not belong to me so I couldn't exactly drop it off the side of my building.

But definitely a good option to look. That's what I like about Strike Industries, they always come out with stuff like this.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next