General Chit-Chat, comments etc
Post a reply

What knife do you carry

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 am

I recently changed my daily knife from a Kershaw Leek to a Zero Tolerance. I found that I was using it 100% as a utility knife and not really a self defense type knife.

I went through probably 3-4 Gerber Gators in the 90's. Sure, some of the folks had leatherman or spyderco but I never felt sad breaking a tip off the gator. Since then I have carried a myriad of knifes. CRKT, Kershaw, even a few off brands. All were getting abused in my pocket by a small flashlight or being used on packages/boxes.

About a year ago I was following up on a class which was about knife fighting. The instructor taught the students how to not only fight with a knife but how to carry the knife in your hand all day long. Going to the grocery store, movies, dinner. It didn't matter, you carried that knife in your hand for everything you did and it was NOT to be used to open mail. (RAT Training Package)

What I came to realize is that I bought and tried to carry a self defense knife that I dulled on amazon packages. While the Zero Tolerance knives are a bit more expensive than the Gerber Gator or Kershaw leek, it is being used as a tool. While I have a shelve in the safe with a handful of really good knives, I plan on taking a different approach. I'm only going to buy knives that I can use as utility knives and no more "Wow, that is cool." knives.
IMG_2064.JPG

0350bw_profile_1020x400.png

1660_profile_1020x400.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: What knife do you carry

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 am

Zero Tolerance knives are a bit more expensive...

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

How, exactly, is one to carry a knife in your hand all day long?

I'm not challenging you, I'm intrigued.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:13 am

Used to carry a Kershaw Brawler or Volt II, but have since switched out to a Leatherman Wingman. I find I have more use for the spring loaded pliers and scissors on a day to day basis, and the easy opening blade is more than enough for most tasks. Plus, it's less "OMG THAT'S A KNIFE" scary to the more sensitive office types.

I augment that with a SAK Officer. It's more used for the can/bottle opener functions.

I also carry the ESEE Izula in my front off-hand pocket. Never had a defensive need for it, but it's small, strong, and sharp.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:26 am

My EDC is a Benchmade Presidio auto knife. Also have a Esee Izula II in a neck sheath for wintertime as it prints a bit much for summer clothes.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:28 am

NWGunner wrote:...How, exactly, is one to carry a knife in your hand all day long?

I'm not challenging you, I'm intrigued.

It is part of the class. 1-2 weeks of the class then you carry the knife in your hand for 3-4 months. The concept is to make it a natural part of your daily activities.

Harley Elmore class Warrior Way

I have not taken the class.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 am

SOG twitch 2

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:30 am

Q - What knife do you carry

A - a couple and they are sharp

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:35 am

Spyderco Yojimbo 2. Mean looking wharncliffe blade, but turns out to be surprisingly practical. Does everything I need from a knife.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am

https://www.bladeops.com/Smith-Wesson-CKG10-Extreme-Ops-Folder-Knife-Bea-p/swckg10.htm

$15 + shipping on that site (found by random Google Search), but I buy them at O'Reilleys for 12.99. They last about 3-4 years, eventually the hinge wears out. Blade comes out of the box super sharp, and is easy to sharpen when it dulls.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:46 am

BENCHMADE AFO II and a leatherman MUT

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:54 am

Buck Knife 110 Folding Hunters Knife.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 am

Kershaw Leek with a half-serrated blade. I keep buying other knives to try, and I keep coming back to the Leek. It’s easy to open, slim in my pocket, and unobtrusive in all-black. Buy the “seconds” for $25-30, and you’re golden.

And yes, it’s a self-defense tool but realistically 100% of its work is opening packages, cutting zip ties and digging out splinters. thumbsup

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:58 am

I carry a large Sebenza, only because my small was stolen out of my luggage going thru an airport. :(

I really liked the small for daily carry.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:16 am

Spiderco Manix 2 is my new go to EDC knife

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:46 am

No bells no whistles no foofaraw, just a sharp blade all the time.

And small!
Post a reply