Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Moving to WA from CA. Advice Requested 

Hello everyone. I am looking forward to making WA just like CA. Haha, just kidding. I am a conservative libertarian. I'm fleeing CA because I want to be free and a little bit less poor. I am among the lucky few able to CCW in a metropolitan area in CA, but I want to live in a place where I do not need to establish 'good cause' to receive permission to exercise a right and/or to defend myself.

I intend to be a little more politically active in WA, as it's liable to swing either way on gun control. My crystal ball tells me the state will become more libertarian over time, but a push from CA can change that. In CA, I voted, spoke, persuaded, and it had no effect. Ridiculous, ineffective, and unconstitutional gun laws were passed, and even worse, Peruta v. Gore became victim of a judiciary more concerned with pushing an agenda than accurately interpreting law and answering the questions brought before the Appellate Court.

I am a mid-level paralegal and I will be making the move after finding a job. I intend to move into the Olympia, Tacoma or Seattle area. My first orders of business will be to find a way to securely store the race car, and find tabletop gamers. My long term goal is to get my Fiance over here, go to law school, and either practical Constitutional law or Criminal law.

I am into modifying cars. My understanding is that emissions requirements vary from county to county. Can anyone confirm? If so, of the three cities above, which have the most relaxed emissions requirements? I'm having a heck of a time finding specifics. If anyone knows of a definitive resource where I can research the varying emissions requirements, I would be indebted and grateful.

I'll be seeing you at the range.

Last edited by sdsusnowboards on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First things first: Is your fiance's mom single?

Emissions:
Californians, imagine that, have polluted WA regulations regarding emissions

"The Clean Car Law () requires vehicles across Washington State to be certified to California emission standards. Starting with 2009 models, vehicles must meet these strict clean air standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use anywhere in Washington."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html

Welcome here. When you get here, please vote early and often.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm disturbed that jukk0u goes straight from a question about the fiance's mother to a comment about emissions. :ROFLMAO:

Emissions are based on zip code, at least as far as I can tell, so there could be different versions of emissions codes within a single city. (And some cities span multiple counties, just to make it more confusing.) I found this list -- http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/pdfs/Zip_codes07.pdf -- which is way old but the web address might at least point you to something more current.

Good luck, and welcome!

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He likes tail pipes...................

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sdsusnowboards wrote:
Hello everyone. I am looking forward to making WA just like CA. Haha, just kidding.

:ROFLMAO: Great intro line, laughed my ass off. Brave man.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:07 pm

GeekWithGuns wrote:
sdsusnowboards wrote:
Hello everyone. I am looking forward to making WA just like CA. Haha, just kidding.

:ROFLMAO: Great intro line, laughed my ass off. Brave man.

Ha! Few people are more anti-California that I am. If we're lucky, it will win it's wish to be free of the USA and pursue the progressive utopia. Then we can sell it our fresh water at exorbitant prices.

jukk0u wrote:
First things first: Is your fiance's mom single?

Emissions:
Californians, imagine that, have polluted WA regulations regarding emissions

"The Clean Car Law () requires vehicles across Washington State to be certified to California emission standards. Starting with 2009 models, vehicles must meet these strict clean air standards to be registered, leased, rented, licensed, or sold for use anywhere in Washington."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/cleancar.html

Welcome here. When you get here, please vote early and often.

Sorry old man, the mom is quite married. You know, of all the things I dislike about CA, it's emissions requirements for new cars aren't one of them. I've been to a developing country with no emissions control; it was like how Los Angeles must have been in the 70's. The air tries to kill you, asthma, headaches, illness. My grievance with CA begins where it places emissions controls on consumers. A very small percentage of people want to modify their cars. CA shouldn't interfere. The increased pollution wouldn't even be measurable.

mislabeled wrote:
I'm disturbed that jukk0u goes straight from a question about the fiance's mother to a comment about emissions. :ROFLMAO:

Emissions are based on zip code, at least as far as I can tell, so there could be different versions of emissions codes within a single city. (And some cities span multiple counties, just to make it more confusing.) I found this list -- http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/air/pdfs/Zip_codes07.pdf -- which is way old but the web address might at least point you to something more current.

Good luck, and welcome!

THANK YOU. I found that only those zip codes require emissions checks. Anywhere else is free of annual or semi-annual checks. Olympia is looking mighty attractive...

Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a 4th generation native Californian. Born in Woodland. Raised in Redlands. College in Riverside and Berkeley. Worked in both Northern and Southern California. Chance of ever moving back: zero.

I can tell you that if you love the outdoors then moving to Washington is going to be like nirvana for you. The Cascades are an amazing mountain range and the entire state is incredibly scenic and fascinating from a geologic perspective. The most beautiful place in the Union outside Alaska. Lived and worked in WA state for about twelve years and it was a great experience.

Do yourself a favor and take a drive around Mt Rainier and up to Mt Baker. Amazing mountains. The hiking at Sunrise on the north side of Mt Rainier is like something out of AK.

Have since relocated to Texas for work. As far as Texas being flat, I have heard that if you stand on top of a ladder in El Paso, it is possible to see all the way to Houston and maybe even Beaumont :bigsmile:

I lived in Tumwater/Olympia/Lacey the last ten years. Highly recommend the South Sound.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 pm

GeekWithGuns wrote:
I'm a 4th generation native Californian. Born in Woodland. Raised in Redlands. College in Riverside and Berkeley. Worked in both Northern and Southern California. Chance of ever moving back: zero.

I can tell you that if you love the outdoors then moving to Washington is going to be like nirvana for you. The Cascades are an amazing mountain range and the entire state is incredibly scenic and fascinating from a geologic perspective. The most beautiful place in the Union outside Alaska. Lived and worked in WA state for about twelve years and it was a great experience.

Do yourself a favor and take a drive around Mt Rainier and up to Mt Baker. Amazing mountains. The hiking at Sunrise on the north side of Mt Rainier is like something out of AK.

Have since relocated to Texas for work. As far as Texas being flat, I have heard that if you stand on top of a ladder in El Paso, it is possible to see all the way to Houston and maybe even Beaumont :bigsmile:

I lived in Tumwater/Olympia/Lacey the last ten years. Highly recommend the South Sound.

Thank you for the perspective, and affirming my choice. Atlanta, GA, and Denver, CO were also in the running. I wanted a place with beautiful outdoors and no hint of brown; affordable road race courses; Constitutionally permissible gun laws; Autumn as a season; relaxed emissions laws; affordable real estate; and the capability for snowboarding. Georgia was an extremely close second choice. I found Colorado to be mostly ugly. Washington checked off the most boxes. It will simply be a matter of whether I can handle the lack of sunshine, and wetness. Coming from SoCal, I've never seen rain. I can't believe it just falls from the sky... for free.

Texas sucks. I am sorry for your loss. Haha.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Avid nordic, alpine, and backcountry skier here. It has finally hit home that ski conditions suck in Texas, big time :bigsmile: We have New Mexico but it is a 12 hour drive to Santa Fe, a bit more to Taos. My choice will be to fly to Utah, Montana, or British Columbia/Rocky Mountains. A drive to Jackson Hole wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As a snowboarder, you should be in hog heaven. Crystal Mountain near Mt Rainier is great, as is Mt Baker near the Canadian border. Mt Hood has summer freestyle camps, cool experience sliding on snow in June and July. Plus time to dust off your passport. Only a couple hours drive to Whistler. The drive to interior British Columbia is longer but well worth it, snow from horizon to horizon. There is no 'snow level' once you get east of the British Columbia Coast Range in winter.

Enjoy!!!

My first move to WA was to work at a small tech company in Bellevue. Moved in February. Rained for 43 straight days. Don't sweat it. It may well grow on you. I really miss the rainy weather though by April every year was really ready for the sun. Summer is WA is awesome BTW.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Old man!" Why I oughta... :cussing:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no emissions testing in Thurston and Mason counties that i'm sure of. The Ridge is an awesome RR course in Shelton area NW of Olympia.
Born and raised in Santee, CA happy to flee the gestapo

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The smog laws are not nearly as strict as CA up here. They dont pull you over for exhaust upgrades, though with some of the hondas I wouldnt mind if they did. If you car was made after 2009, you will not need to take it to get smogged. If it is 2008 and earlier you have the ECU port (can2?) then no snifter up the pipe. I had a 2010 mazdaspeed 3-3 inch turbo back exhuast with no cats. Drove up here with it in 2011 and never had to smog it, which in CA I would have in 2015. I sold it in 2016 (after I paid my 2016 tabs).

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:44 pm

No smog checks in Thurston for me. Since I moved off base (Fort Lewis) in Pierce county to Yelm in Thurston county, I have not smogged my '01 F150.

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

jukk0u wrote:
"Old man!" Why I oughta... :cussing:

Oughta what? Hit him with your cane???

Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:28 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Welcome and Greetings.

cootduster