Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:50 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Review: The New Chip McCormick RPM 10-round 1911 Magazine 

05/31/2017 Update:

Hello,

Chip McCormick called me today. We talked. He is a very nice, very likeable guy. He has my respect.

It turns out that the follower is supposed to be offset like that. I was wrong in straightening it. It enhances performance, allowing maximum slide lock lobe engagement while at the same time maintaining minimum tolerances. The non-skirted follower allows for the absolute largest spring to be used, providing better function. I've personally experienced fail to lock on empty with Shooting Star magazines, and I'm very glad Mr. McCormick addressed this issue in his line!

*However, the magazine is tested in the real world to function under harsh conditions, having been tested in the Desert Wars among other areas.* It was specifically designed to get at least as dirty as I got it and continue to work.

So, I'm sending this mag back for Mr. McCormick to study. It shouldn't have failed and he needs to know why. I'm not so much concerned about Mr. McCormick "making it right" since the mag functions just fine now. Being in the industry, I do understand how manufacturing mistakes can happen, and how there is a constant effort to keep these to an absolute minimum. I want to see these refined and improved even further. I believe in this design more than ever: Chip McCormick is an extremely knowledgeable individual, and I know he can do even greater things with 1911 magazine design than he's done thus far. He cares about his products in the same I way I care about mine. Excellent guy.

I'll update this thread periodically. I'm extremely impressed with Mr. McCormick and his company.

------
The new Chip McCormick Railed Power Mag is an excellent design, addressing several key issues which have plagued greater-than-seven-round 1911 magazines since they were first tried.

Among the most significant changes, the feed lips are folded. McCormick chooses to call these "rails". Whatever the name, they provide unparalleled toughness and the ability to slam the full magazine home on an open slide without the fear of spreading the feed lips.

This allows the other two other innovations, those being the full-power mag spring and full-length follower leg.

As you may know, most extended magazines do not use full-power springs as found in standard seven-round magazines. McCormick does on the RPM magazines. When eight-round magazines were introduced, they were generally seven-round mag tubes modified with a Devel follower and smaller diameter (weaker) magazine spring. These were compromises which allowed an eighth round to be squeezed in. These magazines still did not seat well on a closed slide, at least in my experience, due to that eighth round allowing absolutely no more room.

I found out about the full-length follower when I was troubleshooting (more on that later). Though a modified Devel design, a standard GI dimpled follower fit and functioned fine in the 10-round magazine I tested:

The length of the RPM tube allowed a full compliment of 10 rounds even with the dimpled follower. The only caveat was that, like the old seven-round magazines with increased capacity to eight rounds, it was difficult to seat on a closed slide.

It's interesting in that the modified Devel follower that is the RPM seems to exist only to provide easy seating of a full mag on a closed slide.

Shooting with this magazine was interesting. I started off with 11 230grn Hornady +P XTP defensive loads. These ran fine.

I moved on to a couple-few mags full of 230grn handloads. These were comprised of Lee Truncated Cone 0.452" traditional lube boolits over 4.5 grains of 700x. Again, these ran fine.

Then I grabbed a box of these:

There were over 200, 200grn Xtreme Plated SWC handloads in that box. The first few mags ran fine, and then I began experiencing malfunctions, two per magazine, at predictable points. The malfunctions were partial feeds. A firm slap on the magazine (first part of the tap-rack-assess-bang drill) allowed the slide to return to battery under spring power.

I could have crimped those handloads a bit more. However, since they're plated and not jacketed, I like to just kiss the bell off the case mouth and nothing more. I'm sure gunk in the chamber contributed to the stoppages, but it wasn't completely at fault.

Both gun and magazine were filthy when I was done:

I took the opportunity to detail strip my 1911, and then moved on to the magazine:

I noticed uneven contact of the follower with the mag tube:

Upon cleaning, the issue became obvious:

The follower was bent!

I tested the tube with a known-good GI follower, pictured above. It ran just fine.

I then reinstalled the RPM follower and took a picture so that I could easily see where it was dragging:

Here I should note that McCormick would have made this right. However, this was a new toy and besides, I like fixing things myself. I bent it to where it should have been:

I also put a mirror finish on all follower-to-mag tube contact points, but neglected to snap pictures.

Today a grabbed a box of these from the shelf:

Lee 200grn SWC, hard cast, tumble lube, over 4.5 grains of 700x.

I ran 50 or 60 of these through the magazine along with a few of the aforementioned truncated cone loads. All functioned fine over a wide range of stances, including modified Weaver and Isosceles and single hand target hold. I tried limpwristing, shooting the gun upside down for a couple magazines, ghetto style... I couldn't get it to choke.

Overall, I think we have a winner. I like it. McCormick needs to watch the QC on the followers a bit more carefully as not all folks are willing to get in there and fix it, but beyond that, I like the mag.

If I had my 'druthers, I'd choose a metal plate reinforcing the plastic base plate. There is a metal plate there (which, incidentally, interchanges with Wilson), but it's only retained by the plastic baseplate and not the magazine itself.

Also, a dirty gun is a happy gun:

I'm sure I left something out, so if you have questions, please ask.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited by Josh Smith on Wed May 31, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 26, 2017 6:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Helluva review! Well done sir.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri May 26, 2017 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri May 26, 2017 8:31 pm

Thank you, Gents.

Wed May 31, 2017 12:27 pm

Hello,

Photobucket unexpectedly decided that hotlinking may only be done for paid accounts now.

I have no problem with this. I generally pay for Photobucket, but had not renewed yet this year. However, Photobucket caused a lot of problems by not warning its users in an effective manner. I personally saw no warning.

I'm moving hosting to smith-sights.com until I decide on another dedicated picture host. I've not disappeared. Please bear with me. I'm not the only one effected by this.

However, this illustrates why centralized storage is a problem. This Photobucket trick is reminiscent of ransomware ("Pay us money and you can again access your files".) It's not exactly the same because I can still access my files. I just cannot give remote access to these files without paying.

This effects everything I've done article-wise back to about 2011. I believe Photobucket is counting on this, and figures I'll cave and pay money.

Nope. I'm moving everything. I'll pay another company to host my stuff. Idiots running Photobucket.

Regards,

Josh

Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup . . . Photobucket has been a piece of garbage for about the past five years. It more resembles a spammy fringe news site than a photo-hosting site nowadays.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Josh Smith wrote:
Hello,

Photobucket unexpectedly decided that hotlinking may only be done for paid accounts now.

I have no problem with this. I generally pay for Photobucket, but had not renewed yet this year. However, Photobucket caused a lot of problems by not warning its users in an effective manner. I personally saw no warning.

I'm moving hosting to smith-sights.com until I decide on another dedicated picture host. I've not disappeared. Please bear with me. I'm not the only one effected by this.

However, this illustrates why centralized storage is a problem. This Photobucket trick is reminiscent of ransomware ("Pay us money and you can again access your files".) It's not exactly the same because I can still access my files. I just cannot give remote access to these files without paying.

This effects everything I've done article-wise back to about 2011. I believe Photobucket is counting on this, and figures I'll cave and pay money.

Nope. I'm moving everything. I'll pay another company to host my stuff. Idiots running Photobucket.

Regards,

Josh

imgur is where it's at.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RusoArmo wrote:

imgur is where it's at.

[img]BOOOM![/img]

i've got a few and never had a problem

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:58 am

Awesome review. I just bought the CMC full power 10 spring and follower to convert two cheap 10rd magazines to run reliably. Ran one o rapid fire and so far so good. And I plan on getting a few of those 10rd RPM mags soon. Thanks again for the review.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]